My still in progress

Reflux still design and discussion

My still in progress

Postby bob_m_54 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:49 am

I built this quite a while back and haven't gotten around to finishing it due to little knowledge of subject, the lack of ideas on heating, and p*ss poor motivation. But now I want to get it done and get it working.
still1.JPG

Boiler: SS 50L keg. The top has been cut out and a lid made from a bigger piece of keg top screws down onto it using sealed retaining nuts. I need ideas for a seal between the two though.
top.jpg

Column: 1M X 50.. SS tube (1.6mm) with a SS compression fitting welded to the top. So far I haven't packed it and am unsure if I need some sort of temperature regulation in the column. I think the takeoff may be a bit too close to the top which I have made a plug for out of Nylon, with an "O" ring seal (from what I've read this will have to be changed to something less reactive). The column clamps to the top of the keg with a SS "V" clamp, with the column sliding through a spare keg top which is sealed by the V clamp and an "O" ring (I'll take a pic and post this up later).
compression_connector.jpg

Clamp2.JPG

Condenser: 500mm X 38mm SS tube with reduction cones welded on then fitted as a jacket over a piece of 12mm SS tube.
condensor2.JPG

More pics to follow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bob_m_54 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bob_m_54

equipment: Partially built stainless reflux? or maybe a potstill :0)

Re: My still in progress

Postby Linny » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:55 am

At work we make our own "gaskets"... by laying something similar to silicone in a thick bead... spray release agent on the lid ... screw the lid in place , 24 hours later pull it apart ... the lid "should" come off with a moulded seal on the other half ,,, just tidy it up with a stanley knife .... just a idea for worst case scenario
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby bob_m_54 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:58 am

Hi Linny, thanks for that idea. I thought about it myself, but was a bit worried about chemicals leaching from the silicone.
bob_m_54

Postby Linny » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:03 am

Without a condenser in the column ,, its just a large potstill... still looks mighty fine though :handgestures-thumbupleft: did u do the welding ?
Linny

Postby bob_m_54 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:11 am

Linny wrote:Without a condenser in the column ,, its just a large potstill... still looks mighty fine though :handgestures-thumbupleft: did u do the welding ?

Yes, I see your point re the column condenser. When I was building it I was under the impression that the packing and some temp regulation tubes through the column would cause the reflux (as I said, not a lot of knowledge in this department) Yes I welded all but the compression fitting with a stick welder and SS rods (a tad finicky, but a linnisher hides a lot). The compression fitting I got welded by a mate using TIG.
bob_m_54

Postby Linny » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:19 am

yeah you will get a natural amount of reflux the higher you go, scrubbers help that too (since they create a theoretical plate)... would only push it probably to low-mid 80's ABV. (only a guess - correct me if im wrong)

is the top of the column sealed ? i cant see - If you really want reflux ,,, maybe cut the top. build a large hoop and reseal it. which would turn it in a CM style still... theyre good for starters as you can run reflux , then if you want a pot , just cut water flow off to the column condenser. leaving the Leibig condenser running. best of both worlds :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Linny

Postby bob_m_54 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:47 am

Yes the top is sealed, but only by a nylon plug at this point. It would be drilled to take a temp probe inserted down to the level of the takeoff. As in my first post I need to rethink this and use something less reactive.
plug.JPG

As for a coil/loop in the column, I did wind a piece of 4mm? SS tube onto a 25mm mandrel that is @ 100mm long. This is where I got stalled. I didn't know whether this needed to be below the takeoff to regulate the column temp to be at the correct temp at the takeoff, or above the takeoff to reflux from above? Fitting the coil down the 50mm column will also present problems, but i think I can do it if I make an extension to the column.
coil.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bob_m_54

Postby Linny » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:52 am

if you have it above the take off , you will need a valve on the take off ,,, it will become a VM style with a open column....
if you have the condenser below , will be a CM.

depends on what you are going to make,,, rums , bourbons ... or plain neutral essence ? IMHO go the CM way , will give you more flexability later down the track
Linny

Postby bob_m_54 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:02 am

I want to go for neutrals so that I can flavour it to gin, vodka for the mrs and also rum and bourbon or oyzo for myself. Or am I getting a bit ambitious at this point? :-D
bob_m_54

Postby Linny » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:24 am

not ambitious ... thats your plan, you can either build 2 still heads (eg pot and a reflux) or build a CM that can switch between the two modes ( i added a pic to show round abouts what im talking about ) ,,, sounds like you need to do a bit of reading. Head to the library good luck :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Linny

Postby crow » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:28 am

bob_m_54 wrote:I want to go for neutrals so that I can flavour it to gin, vodka for the mrs and also rum and bourbon or oyzo for myself. Or am I getting a bit ambitious at this point? :-D

From 1 still yeah a lttle, not that you can't just a lot of work and you might not get what your looking for. As I've said before you can make neutral with a pot and flavoured with a reflux, hell you could likely eat soup with a shifting spanner too but they ain't right tools for the job and the results will reflect that . Here some recent discussion on it (there are many many more as the question arises several times a week ;-) )
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2987
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby crow » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:37 am

Forgot to mention that you are infact dead right about the nylon , I have charts on my PC for synthetics (that I can't post) and how they react with different volatiles , nylon ain't so good
Flour paste works well :laughing-rolling: kidding (but it does ppl ). Ok just adjust my hard hat here kevlar in place right here goes , :shhh: silicon the 100% silicon used on aquariums
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:44 am

:text-+1: :text-imwithstupid:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby bob_m_54 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:46 am

OK, thanks guys. Looks like all plans on hold till I do a lot more research. I only hope this doesn't push it back into the "I'll get to it one day" corner again.. :))
bob_m_54

Return to Reflux Stills