what am I making

Reflux still design and discussion

what am I making

Postby Wilko » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:37 pm

Hi all Im real new to all this Im making a 2" copper reflux still on a 50l keg I have made a 3" piece of copper with a 3" to 2" reducer to collect and reflux the grog as in a LM still . I will make a copper condenser coil to go in the 3" at the top . When running water through the coil do I use a tap to slow down the flow so Im not just pumping water through it I understand this will also change the reflux rate ? Am I making 2 stills in one LM/CM if so will it work ? Also can I make a 2" still too tall ? is taller better ?
Wilko

equipment: Making a reflux still

Re: what am I making

Postby MacStill » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:44 pm

I just Grabbed this quote from here it's found in this section where new distillers can find a lot of very useful information :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cooling Setup:
Run your coolant through the bottom of your product condenser, out the top, then into your coil. Don't run it too fast - the water should be exiting fairly warm (45-50 º C / 115-120 º ). Obviously, don't run the cooling too slow either, no one likes ethanol vapour billowing out the top of the still. The reason for not running the cooling flat out is that you may actually overcool the surroundings of the condenser, which will extend the effective condenser length down into your column. In extreme cases this will reduce your takeoff speed by condensing product in the takeoff chamber.

Cheers
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Sam. » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:15 am

Yeeeaaahhh Wilko, not sure if your swearing at me or not? :think:

I know I already called it once tonight :-D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Wilko » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:44 am

MacStill wrote:I just Grabbed this quote from here it's found in this section where new distillers can find a lot of very useful information :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cooling Setup:
Run your coolant through the bottom of your product condenser, out the top, then into your coil. Don't run it too fast - the water should be exiting fairly warm (45-50 º C / 115-120 º ). Obviously, don't run the cooling too slow either, no one likes ethanol vapour billowing out the top of the still. The reason for not running the cooling flat out is that you may actually overcool the surroundings of the condenser, which will extend the effective condenser length down into your column. In extreme cases this will reduce your takeoff speed by condensing product in the takeoff chamber.

Cheers

so I just find a good speed to run the water at and run it like a LM still ?
Wilko

Postby Wilko » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:48 am

sam_and_liv wrote:Yeeeaaahhh Wilko, not sure if your swearing at me or not? :think:

I know I already called it once tonight :-D

LOL ya would know if I was swearing :))
Wilko

Return to Reflux Stills