My T500 only has one Thermometer

Reflux still design and discussion

My T500 only has one Thermometer

Postby Colin Smith » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:52 pm

:handgestures-thumbdown: why has my T500 only got one thermometer on it... Only a water outlet ... But no water inlet ... What the fuck is going on here every video I have seen they have two..... Why why why... ~x( Did the homebrew wanker sell me a old model.... I think he did ... Is this going to be a problem... Please help.. Going to use it in two days.. :angry-banghead:
Colin Smith

equipment: T500 novice

Re: My T500 only has one Thermometer

Postby MacStill » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:55 pm

Should be one in the top too, see the probe ??

Turbo500-Condenser1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Colin Smith » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:57 pm

Nah dude doesnt have one ... I will try to upload a photo and the box only came with on.. Plus the bracket only holds one... :crying-blue:
Colin Smith

Postby Colin Smith » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:01 pm

image.jpg

Oh no..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin Smith

Postby Colin Smith » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:03 pm

image.jpg
old stock I'm thinking.... :-x
Colin Smith

Postby MacStill » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:06 pm

nah I reckon they deleted it, you run these by the coolant temp not the column temp IIRC :think:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:09 pm

Every one that Ive ever seen, including the one I own has two thermometers, having said that you really don't need the top one to run the still properly, In fact its pretty useless. The bottom thermometer reads the temp of the water leaving the still, The faster the water flow the lower the temp...and visa versa. It in itself is really only a rough guide as well, if you can keep the temp of the bottom thermo as low as possible and still have a broken stream or very fast drips of Ethanol exiting the still you'll be getting about the best product a T500 is capable of producing. The battery in my top thermometer has been flat for over a year, I haven't bothered replacing it for those reasons.
In short the thermometers in a T500 wont give you any better product than if you just run it nice n sloooow and make good cuts.

Mac beat me in, Id say hes nailed it.........they got rid of it cause it was bloody useless
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Colin Smith » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:19 pm

Thanks heaps guys :)) seriously ..... I love this site......... Um sorry for the poor questions but what temp do you run yours at roughy with a Tpw... Thanks again SBB and Mac you guys are legendary... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Colin Smith

Postby DaveZ » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:00 pm

I questioned Still Spirits about the same thing. They've deleted the second thermometer as it really serves no purpose.

Cheers,
Dave.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby SBB » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:49 pm

To me its more about what the still is putting out rather than temp, when I started off with mine I was always looking at the thermometers, They really don't help that much, basically the more water going through the lower the temp, the lower the temp the more reflux your getting, the more reflux your getting the purer and cleaner the spirit your getting and the more condensed the fractions are, as in fores, heads , hearts. From memory I try n keep it under 55C to begin with, I try and keep it to a slowish drip/slow dribble, for the fores and heads, and a little faster once into hearts. As the run progress's you usually need to up the temp a bit from time to time or the still wants to stop producing.
A lot has to do with how much patients you have, sometimes I get bored and run faster, When I do that the end product suffers......only my self to blame for that.
Anyway that's my take on it........others might disagree.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Return to Reflux Stills