Vapour speed

Reflux still design and discussion

Vapour speed

Postby snoozer » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:10 pm

Hey guys,
I was running my 2" vm rig today on 50L of 30% low wines. It is 2400W which I normally control thru a box. But since Ive replaced the copper structured mesh with SPP I find I can run it wide open and take off 95+%. I'm getting 25-26ml/min which equals 1.5L/hr. Does that sound OK for a 2"? I checked the calculators at homedistiller and at that power and column diameter I am getting 34.97"/sec which is waay faster than the recommended 6"-20"/sec I see recommended! I dont have flooding or choking problems either and my condensor can handle the heat no worries. The nuetral tastes and smells clean (before polishing & after dilution to 40%), I'm happy with how it runs, but I'm just curious if its the spp that allows it to run that fast?
snoozer

equipment: 60L SS VM 2" SPP 1.3m tower
25L still spirits pot

Re: Vapour speed

Postby blond.chap » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:51 pm

Hi mate, I can't comment on that still or its output rates specifically, but my thinking is that if it's not flooding and you're satisfied that it's separating the hearts out adequately then you're all good.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Brendan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:20 pm

Hey snoozer,

That take-off rate sounds great to me if you're not having flooding problems. Pretty sure on my 3" VM, I used to only pull about 1.5L p/hr and was running 2400W flat out also, so it's probably on the quick end for a 2" (I was anal with the quality so slowed the takeoff considerably). But if you're happy with the output, it's clean and you're not flooding the column, well then good stuff :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I always used copper mesh for those figures though. I haven't tried SPP yet...
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby snoozer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:41 pm

Yeah Im not complaining! very happy with its performance. I was just curious as to what others with 2" vm's were getting? It was built by a member here and he did a great job with lots of support. Highly recommended by me!
snoozer

equipment: 60L SS VM 2" SPP 1.3m tower
25L still spirits pot

Return to Reflux Stills