Hobo got Copper, uh oh!

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: Hobo got Copper, uh oh!

Postby Hobo » Sat May 11, 2013 8:28 pm

Yeh Googe, I am taking them on my phone and then emailing them to myself at a lower resolution so I can upload them here, :angry-banghead:

When I locate the photos in my temporary files folder they are the right way up...upload attachment..sideways!??

My other hobby is...wait for it...Photography :angry-banghead:

Anyway, off topic! Happy to have finished my CM Reflux Steam buddy, just got to get the boiler sorted so I can cook up this TPW that is starting to crowd me in, need to free up some fermenter real estate!
Hobo

Location: Aussie Drifter.\ Hometown Melbourne, currently Central Qld
equipment: Home made Copper Reflux still, 50l keg boiler, 2inch x 850mm column packed with stainless scrubbers and reverse liebig condenser. 95% and stoked!

Postby googe » Sat May 11, 2013 8:34 pm

Yep, mine were the same, right way up but when I loaded them onto here they were sideways!. Just try taking the pic with your phone sideways. Lol @ photography. What are you doing to the boiler?. Looking forward to seeing how it runs, exciting times :handgestures-thumbupleft:
googe

Postby Hobo » Sat May 11, 2013 8:51 pm

Yeah Googe, give me Photoshop or Lightroom, good results, forum upload...WTF???
I got the spear out of this keg I have had for ages, ( I was going to make a potbelly stove out of it)
I think all I need now is a tri clamp and heating element, then start scorchin this TPW that has not been paying rent for the last few weeks!
Hobo

equipment: Home made Copper Reflux still, 50l keg boiler, 2inch x 850mm column packed with stainless scrubbers and reverse liebig condenser. 95% and stoked!

Postby Distillnation » Sat May 11, 2013 9:27 pm

No worries hobo.

Looks great, even better that you went that extra mile to clean it up.

Can't wait to hear how you go running it. By the sounds of things you have everything under control and ready to go!
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Postby bt1 » Sun May 12, 2013 7:43 am

Looking good,

trick for next larger job for silver solder...throw your work on a LPG burner/barbie and then use MAPP...I do this cos of lack of heat for most 4" or larger jobs.

In answer to q on cold finger yep, 1/4" on either 1/2" or 3/4" if you have the room...1/2 is just little more fiddly to solder in the coil ends.

It's coming along nicely...

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby bt1 » Sun May 12, 2013 7:48 am

Just another idea..

the area where you have the CM sleeve placed ...nothing wrong by putting a loose packed SS scrubby in the column to extend the cool zone impact as it's chilled by the column wall contact...maybe worth 1 - 4 abv points.

bt1
bt1

Postby Hobo » Sun May 12, 2013 9:02 am

bt1 wrote:Looking good,

trick for next larger job for silver solder...throw your work on a LPG burner/barbie and then use MAPP...I do this cos of lack of heat for most 4" or larger jobs.

In answer to q on cold finger yep, 1/4" on either 1/2" or 3/4" if you have the room...1/2 is just little more fiddly to solder in the coil ends.

It's coming along nicely...

bt1

Thanks for the feedback. I actually did have this idea yesterday which would have been fine if I had a shed to work in but the wind was howling through under my awning, it would have even been hard to heat the barbie to cook chops on.

Better to use the bosses oxy, free!

I ended up silver soldering the cap on, I hate using that Aquasafe. How hard would it be to get it off later without destroying everything?

bt1 wrote:Just another idea..

the area where you have the CM sleeve placed ...nothing wrong by putting a loose packed SS scrubby in the column to extend the cool zone impact as it's chilled by the column wall contact...maybe worth 1 - 4 abv points.

bt1

Should the whole column be packed with scrubbies? I was going to pack the whole thing, from the top of the CM sleeve all the way to the botoom.
Is this too much?
Hobo

Postby Distillnation » Sun May 12, 2013 10:39 am

bt1 wrote:Just another idea..

bt1

Distillnation wrote: Adding packing within the jacketed section will help with this.

Yep, adding packing here will definitely help. In this design, you rely on contact with the column walls so, like you've said, packing helps to give more cooling surface area for the rising vapour.

Hobo wrote:Should the whole column be packed with scrubbies? I was going to pack the whole thing, from the top of the CM sleeve all the way to the botoom.
Is this too much?

That is how my mate does his. You can always add or remove more packing if needed. Never hurts to experiment with that kind of thing. As long as it is not too dense that vapour can't get through of course:lol:
Distillnation

Postby bt1 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:46 am

Howdy,

Should the whole column be packed with scrubbies? I was going to pack the whole thing, from the top of the CM sleeve all the way to the botoom.
Is this too much?

Just leave some room for the thermo probe cos if it's in or touching the scrubbies it false reads...believe me I found that out the hard way in the early days.

bt1
bt1

Postby Hobo » Tue May 14, 2013 7:16 pm

Well, Hobo is a happy camper! Did my cleaning run this morning, couldn't help myself but to run my first TPW after lunch...(rained off work...AGAIN!)

Got the new rig running..

photo 1-4.2.jpg

The results are in..SUCCESS!

photo 2-4.JPG

Started off at 95%, at 78DegC, finished the run at 85%, at 81degC. Got 5.2 l in 3 hours ( most 90+ at 20C)

It was a piece of piss to run, set the water flow at 5l per min, both PC and RC were cool to touch collecting at 100ml in 2.25 min @95% and tapering off gradually.

I am FKN stoked Except for the frickin picture being sideways again!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobo

Postby googe » Tue May 14, 2013 7:26 pm

Awesome mate!! :handgestures-thumbupleft: what a great result!. Nice looking little still!. How's it compare to your other still?. In future don't listen to my advice :angry-banghead: .
googe

Postby Hobo » Tue May 14, 2013 7:33 pm

Ha! Thanks Googe, I am stokin! Woot! The other still is going to be a distant memory...(and a hand me down to someone who is keen to learn)
Hey mate, I take everyone's ideas on board, they might not all suit me but that's what we are here for, to share ideas and report on thing that work.
Why are my bloody pictures sideways?? *@$#&@!
Hobo

Postby Distillnation » Tue May 14, 2013 8:21 pm

Congrats mate!

I bet you're over the moon about it. With that kind of percentage, you should be able to get a nice collection going to last you as long as you will ever need.
Distillnation

Postby Hobo » Tue May 14, 2013 8:28 pm

Distillnation wrote:Congrats mate!

I bet you're over the moon about it. With that kind of percentage, you should be able to get a nice collection going to last you as long as you will ever need.

Thanks Bud , I got my cuts sitting there for tomorrows' sniffin. I just got delivery of a 20l polished stainless steel Jerry can, I reckon that should suffice for my neutral storage needs :D
I am still stokin...Woohoo!
Hobo

Postby MacStill » Tue May 14, 2013 8:59 pm

6 days from start to finish.... well done :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sure beats 6 weeks :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby bt1 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:18 pm

Well done bloke...nice to see a result which has more than cred...that's great turn around.

So some newb comes along with the same issues...your the bloke...

nice

bt1
bt1

Postby SBB » Tue May 14, 2013 9:30 pm

Good job Hobbo, its a pretty good feeling building your first still then running it isnt it. I think your in trouble now :laughing-rolling:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Hobo » Tue May 14, 2013 9:37 pm

MacStill wrote:6 days from start to finish.... well done :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sure beats 6 weeks :laughing-rolling:

Stone the crows!... Oh shit, sorry Crow..I meant sparrows. Was it only 6 days? It seemed like a lot longer!

Copper + motivation + rainy days = Working Reflux still

I am so stoked! Big thanks to this forum and all the people who have provided their experience and input.

BTW Mac, there will be no plastic, just copper, Staino and Glass! (and quality Ethanol...) :text-thankyoublue:

bt1 wrote:Well done bloke...nice to see a result which has more than cred...that's great turn around.

So some newb comes along with the same issues...your the bloke...

nice

bt1

I am not a veteran or an expert but I am happy to share what I have learned with anybody.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Hobo

Previous

Return to Reflux Stills