Hobo got Copper, uh oh!

Reflux still design and discussion

Hobo got Copper, uh oh!

Postby Hobo » Wed May 08, 2013 8:48 pm

Hobo has been rained out, no work, bored, goes to plumbing shop, comes out with new copper bits....What to do now?

copper.JPG

Hobo has a plan... but not enough time to elaborate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobo

Location: Aussie Drifter.\ Hometown Melbourne, currently Central Qld
equipment: Home made Copper Reflux still, 50l keg boiler, 2inch x 850mm column packed with stainless scrubbers and reverse liebig condenser. 95% and stoked!

Re: Hobo got Copper, uh oh!

Postby Hobo » Wed May 08, 2013 9:01 pm

Ok, maybe I do have a little time, I am starting a CM Reflux still made of copper. I was bored so I built the condenser this avo... (and I have pics to prove iT!)

I just have to load them ... tomorrow
Hobo

equipment: Home made Copper Reflux still, 50l keg boiler, 2inch x 850mm column packed with stainless scrubbers and reverse liebig condenser. 95% and stoked!

Postby emptyglass » Wed May 08, 2013 9:21 pm

Well done mate. Its coming together
emptyglass

Postby bt1 » Thu May 09, 2013 7:14 am

You've definitely been bitten by the distilling bug...

fumigate the place!

Look forward to this adventure...

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Hobo » Thu May 09, 2013 5:44 pm

bt1 wrote:You've definitely been bitten by the distilling bug...

fumigate the place!

Look forward to this adventure...

bt1

Yes, this is true, My wife is getting worried and I think even my home brew beer is starting to get jealous, you know being left sitting there, being ignored while I devote all my attention to some strange copper object! :text-lol:

I took heaps of pics but I will just put a couple up for now.

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 5-1.JPG

photo 3-2.JPG

photo 4-2.JPG

I cleaned this up today after work, it came up pretty good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobo

Postby MacStill » Thu May 09, 2013 5:46 pm

A yabby pump, I love it :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby googe » Thu May 09, 2013 7:21 pm

:laughing-rolling: your definitely fucked now, when you start seeing things and thinking hmmm wonder if that would work lol. Looks good mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: whats the bigger tube on one end for?, cant see the pic real go on my phone!. Keep the pics coming :-D
googe

Postby Hobo » Thu May 09, 2013 8:01 pm

Yes, when every bit of stainless and copper you see must somehow relate to stillin, I think it's too late!

The condenser is 400mm of 40mm copper tube, 2 end caps. The Vapor chamber is the 40, inside is 25mm copper to run water through, reduced 25 to 19, 19to 15 and then 1/2 inch copper fits in to provide the right size for garden hose.

I extended the 25 mm tube through the bottom cap and then soldered my reducing fittings outside to make assembly easier and also to make sure that there are no leaks that could potentially "contaminate" or water down "THE PRECIOUS"

I got this cleaned up this avo, came up pretty good

photo 3-3.JPG

photo 4-3.JPG

The bottom end of the condenser, I wanted the cooling tube to extend through the bottom of the vapor chamber to ensure that no cooling liquid could mix with the distillate, (even though I KNOW that I did good solder joints)
the 1/2 inch copper on the left of the picture is the output tube.

Next job is to get some 2 inch copper for my tower and a few other nic nacs.

I really did consider using the yabby pump for my reflux tower, almost a prefabbed still! LOL
Hobo

Postby emptyglass » Thu May 09, 2013 8:28 pm

Nice job hobo, I'm guessing from your description that the vapor is going to go throgh the outside, the cooling water through the centre tube?
emptyglass

Postby Hobo » Thu May 09, 2013 8:52 pm

Roger that WineGlass! I have a 25mm vapor delivery tube entering the 40mm vapor condenser which has a 25mm cooling tube passing through it.

I have the collection point at the very lowest part of the condenser so that I don't leave too many drops behind.

The plan is to couple this up to a 2 inch copper tower @ about 800mm packed with stainless scrubbers.
The other part of the plan is to feed it with a 50 l keg (which I already have) powered by a 2400w element....(suggestions please??)\
I have yet to perfect my silver soldering skills and I am not an experienced still builder. All I know is that I am ready to move on from the steam catcher that I started with and I think I am on the right track.
Any suggestions are welcome :text-thankyoublue:
Hobo

Postby emptyglass » Thu May 09, 2013 9:04 pm

So the 25mm tube terminates in the 1/2 tube both ends thats visable in the pics?
Interesting concept. The vapor should slow as it enters, giving it more time in contact with the walls.
It might work ok, but I'm thinking it might be a tad short for fast stripping runs if you want to do that.
You may be loosing a little efficiency with the big space betweem the 25 and 40mm tubes, only a worry if your paying for water.
emptyglass

Postby googe » Thu May 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Ok, I think I understand after really hurting my brain! :)) its a reverse liebig?. Please say yes :pray:
googe

Postby Hobo » Thu May 09, 2013 9:40 pm

Oh shit Googe, don't confuse me more!!! Ummm, yes it is.

Water inside, yummy humid alcohol vapor outside, hope that makes sense.?
Hobo

Postby googe » Thu May 09, 2013 9:50 pm

Thanks hobo lol. So, the vapor goes in the larger tube thats in the end cap and exits out the smaller tube on the other end cap?. And the water flows straight through the centre?. Haha I'm trying.
googe

Postby Sam. » Thu May 09, 2013 11:17 pm

googe wrote:Thanks hobo lol. So, the vapor goes in the larger tube thats in the end cap and exits out the smaller tube on the other end cap?. And the water flows straight through the centre?. Haha I'm trying.

Googe, its the direct reverse opposite one you built but mirror imaged :handgestures-thumbupleft:

@ hobo, when I read the title I had to get home and check my hot water service to make sure the piping was still there :handgestures-thumbupleft: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Anyway your building looks cracker, you got a big ass tool kit in that rig mate? :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby emptyglass » Thu May 09, 2013 11:48 pm

Ok, got the condenser schematics worked out, is this going to be a post cooling condenser on your CM?
If so it should do a sweet job.
A 25mm inlet is a pretty big inlet to match with the outlet of a typical CM still.

So whats the rest of this still going to look like mate?
You've let the cat out of the bag, you gotta tell us now...

Or are you trying to build the suspense?? Thats understandable too.

As long as its not based on the famous world class distilling apperatus.
emptyglass

Postby Sam. » Fri May 10, 2013 12:12 am

And also before you make too much, are you sure you want to go the CM reflux setup? :think:

They are notoriously hard to run and there are easier ways to do it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby googe » Fri May 10, 2013 1:30 am

Ok, on the tablet now, makes the pics better than trying to see them on a 3' screen :roll: . thanks hobo, think ive got it now.lol. Thanks Sam, thought that's what it was, minis the outside layer. Post cooling condenser empty?, by that do you mean after the rc and before the PC, or after the PC?. The suspence is killing me! :laughing-rolling: . waits for hobos explanation.
googe

Postby MacStill » Fri May 10, 2013 1:56 am

googe wrote:Ok, on the tablet now

I just hope it's not those blue ones that make you thirsty and keep you up dribbling all night :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Hobo » Fri May 10, 2013 6:50 pm

Shit, I did a good job of confusing everybody, now look what you made me do...got me drawing and all..

hobo.png

I hope this drawing helps.

googe wrote:@ hobo, when I read the title I had to get home and check my hot water service to make sure the piping was still there :handgestures-thumbupleft: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Anyway your building looks cracker, you got a big ass tool kit in that rig mate? :think:

WineGlass, your hot water service is safe and yes, I have heaps of tools(just not enough space)
Last edited by JayD on Fri May 10, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected orientation of drawing..
Hobo

Next

Return to Reflux Stills