Can you stop and start a reflux still???

Reflux still design and discussion

Can you stop and start a reflux still???

Postby Chris tom » Thu May 30, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi all I have a still spirits super reflux still and halfway through my run i had to stop and head out (family emergency) its now three hours later. Can i take the head again and crank it back up or will stoping it have hindered my efforts???
Chris tom

equipment: Still spirits super reflux still

Re: Can you stop and start a reflux still???

Postby Kimbo » Thu May 30, 2013 10:56 pm

Hi Chris,
How about calling in to the welcome center and introducing yourself ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Thu May 30, 2013 11:00 pm

It will pick up where you left off and +1 on the intro, we like to know who we're talking to ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Chris tom » Thu May 30, 2013 11:06 pm

Hey cheers peeps, i have added my welcome post now sorry about that, too eager for help, my bad. :doh:
Chris tom

Postby Sam. » Thu May 30, 2013 11:07 pm

Yes mate just get it back to full reflux wait a little bit then start collecting again (prob chuck a little bit of the first bit out to be sure ;-) )
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby kiwikeg » Fri May 31, 2013 5:16 am

Hi Chris absolutely no problem switching OFF still and restarting it later, like someone above said take the foreshots again to safe.
I have had to stop runs and I wrap the boiler in a blanket to try to stop it cooling down too mych while I am away, :handgestures-thumbupleft:
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Chris tom » Fri May 31, 2013 12:02 pm

Thanks for all the help, I started her again and took another 150ml to throw and continued on the same putting out 86%.... now for the next batch :-D :text-thankyoublue:
Chris tom

Postby crow » Fri May 31, 2013 2:13 pm

No worries but you need not have taken so much. what ever was left would have ordinarily been in your finished spirit so yeah if there was unwanted conpouds left they would have been compressed but it would have been bugger all. Halfway through :think: maybe 20ml to be safe and that may well be 15ml to much.Doesn't matter but keep it in mind next time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Rolls912 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:35 pm

How long can you leave the still off for? Say I run it one evening. Turn it off at midnight. Then crank it the following evening.
:ugeek:
Rolls912

equipment: 5SD 4inch Boka
5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Postby RC Al » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:06 am

Wouldn't be a drama on stripping runs (Discarding fores again as mentioned), but it would screw with cuts on a spirit run
Run less in the boiler?
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Sam. » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:57 am

Just keep doing cuts and keep what you normally would, your just wasting a bit more power heating up your boiler twice
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby YarraRanges » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:36 pm

I have occasionally had to stop my reflux still halfway through and finish it off the next day. I've never chucked out the first 20 or 30 mls on the second run as I always do a complete job of getting rid of the fores initially. I've never noticed any more fores coming through and I've never had a failure doing it.
YarraRanges

equipment: 14 plate bubbler

Postby Boomgate » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:14 pm

In theory the fore's should be completely out during the start of the run.... considering the boiling temp of fores is lower than the boiling temp of hearts.... but I guess better safe than blind...
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Postby db1979 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Acetone and methanol will have been removed.

Esters however are formed by the reaction of alcohols with carboxylic acids, both of which are still present in the boiler. The best conditions to form esters are during reflux. So even if you've removed fores and heads, best to discard just a little bit as it will be heavier in esters. There will be esters forming through the run (regardless of whether it was one continuous run, or stopped and restarted) and these benefit from airing your cuts jars. You could minimise these esters by neutralising the pH of the wash as esters are produced faster in pHs lower or higher than 7.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Return to Reflux Stills