Help on a new 3" LM reflux build

Reflux still design and discussion

Help on a new 3" LM reflux build

Postby RJB510 » Fri May 31, 2013 7:17 pm

Hi guy's,

I'm not new to distilling but i've taken a big break and am now deciding to get back into it.
I've decided to reconstruct my faithful 2" Nixon Stone design and make something else as well, so this could be a bit of a two in one post. I appreciate your input on this as I decide what to do.
I had a friend make it off my plans when I was about 20 y/o and probably could have researched it a bit more first. All I wanted at the time was to impress my mates and make cheap spirits! I haven't used it in a few years, but I am thinking of making some mods and fixing some of the bad bits.
DSC04708.jpg

Essentially the column is about 1000mm tall. Has about 800mm or so of packing before going into a 1 1/2" side pipe of about 150mm before going into a 2" coil condenser. This thing worked really well and would be even better with better voltage controlling on the boiler. Strangely enough when I was using it I was pulling about 95%, but I have a feeling it was a mix of everything rather than just the hearts as the boiler was just going flat out. But half a day's worth of work for pretty good gains of spirit...

Given the height of it, I am considering chopping it up and fitting tri-clover clamps to "swap in" different sized pipes and turn it into a bit of a hybrid.
1. The return tube from the nixon head is going down a bit too far into the column (design flaw for max reflux return into the packing), but that gives me the idea of putting tri-clamps in below that point into the column to add a flared section up to 4" (or whatever size i want) which will allow me to swap in a type of "Gin Head" or room for a "Basket" for experimenting with.

2. I can shorten the column at whatever length I want about 500mm to the side bit and use it as a pot still by closing the reflux valve completely. Essentially it will just go straight up and flow into the nixon head where everything will be condensed and then collected. Some reflux in the main column but I couldn't imagine it will have much more than a normal pot still. Easy.

3. Add extra length at the bottom to give more height for more purity if I wanted to continue using it as a valved reflux...

What do you guy's think of those idea's? I figured its worth a try at least!

Now... since I was going to cut and do all of that which will essentially get me a mix of stills to play with for Rums and Gins and other flavoured things, I really want a new "Neutrals" still. I have all the equipment and access to TIG and fabricating isn't an issue. I've been reading that everyone is saying the 2" stills are slow in comparison these days so wondering if i should make myself a new 3" one. I've just finished reading through all the pages on reflux columns and designs and really, my head is spinning.

50L keg boiler. Will have a 2" to 3" reducer to 3" pipe. This is where I get stuck with so many designs and idea's out there. I just want something fast, tried and proven for making neutrals. I was leaning towards keeping with the Nixon Stone design and focus on getting the height and things right but seem a lot of people are saying the "slant plate Boka" is the way to go these days?
I'm still leaning towards a coil condenser, just working out the best way to place it for space and aesthetics as well as balance.

What would be the pick? I don't know enough about VM columns either but if its worth going down that road, then i'm interested to know.

Cheers for the input.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RJB510

equipment: Offset Head Reflux still
Pot still
Mini pot still

Re: Help on a new 3" LM reflux build

Postby RJB510 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:02 pm

Oh, and more and more i'm noticing people using bubblers, one used for neutral too by adding additional packing on top of the plates. Should I just go straight for that for neutral? Is that a better option?
RJB510

equipment: Offset Head Reflux still
Pot still
Mini pot still

Return to Reflux Stills