UJSM Time!

Reflux still design and discussion

UJSM Time!

Postby Distillnation » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:45 am

Alrighty then. I have about 30-40L of stripped UJSM at 36% that is just begging to be run. I've been using my LM with out scrubbers and the valve fully open to strip it. Does a great job, gets a 40L wash done in a couple hours running at 2400w.

The only thing I'm worried about now, is screwing up the spirit run.

As above, I have an LM at my disposal, but I also have a pot still here that I can use. It's only made from 1" pipe (got a special connector to fit a 50L boiler), so not sure how it will go.

What would be best to use. The LM obviously has the advantage of a valve, but will that really be necessary?

Also, what kind of output should I be looking for? 3drips/sec? Small/broken stream?

And is 85-60% a good collection zone for heart cuts?

I've done a fair bit of reading, but I'm still not sure what to do. I suppose after all this time and money going into it, I don't want to have to end up running it all through the reflux for a very expensive neutral :lol:.

Cheers
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Re: UJSM Time!

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:13 pm

My gut feeling is run it thru the same still you stripped it with.
85-60%? would probily go a lot lower maybe as much as 40% take cuts and blend if your on the right track your cuts will taste like the water from a can of sweetcorn. this is good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
after a month or so on oak the sweet corn flavours will blend back with the oak towards a more bourbony taste :handgestures-thumbupleft:
slow run on the spirit run but the spirits will want to come over fast so find a happy balance where the output is slightly warm.
Disclaimer- never used a LM still but brewed a shipload of UJSM/BWKO
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Distillnation » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:34 am

I'll have to run it on Monday or Tuesday then. Try get an early start so it doesn't take forever.

What size cuts should I take? I'm thinking the normal 200mL cuts might use up all my jars. I'm thinking maybe 500mL. The heads/hearts transition will smear, but that will be fine, same for the hearts/tails.
I'll get it down to 40% and after airing see how it turns out. I gotta say, it's an excitingly nervous experience.

Cant wait to get it done and sitting on oak. Can start getting out some neutral.
Distillnation

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:49 am

200ml cuts for first few runs till you get the feel for this recipe and the detuned still- just grab a box of beer stubbies drink em wash them out and use them for cuts jars. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Distillnation » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:06 pm

Sounds good. I've got a few extra jars/bottles ready, and the still is setup for tomorrow morning. All I have to do is wake up, plug it in and turn it on. Should save time on getting it all ready THEN starting the heat up. Can't wait to see how it goes. Will update tomorrow on my results. Cheers kiwi!
Distillnation

Re:

Postby Sam. » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:28 pm

Distillnation wrote: Will update tomorrow on my results. Cheers kiwi!

Well? :-w
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: Re:

Postby MacStill » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:10 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:
Distillnation wrote: Will update tomorrow on my results. Cheers kiwi!

Well? :-w

:angry-tappingfoot:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Distillnation » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:25 pm

Haha, I guess I better get started then.

Got up and turned it on around 7:45. Started collecting a little after 9.

Threw away 300mL as fores to start with, but ended up getting rid of the first litre which I used to start the outside wood heater :lol:. Collected about 2-3L before getting to 85%. I'll throw this in with my next TPW.

From there I collected from 85 down to 50%. (Running short of jars and the tails smell wasn't what I was looking for in my final product) all up there is about 8L in total. They are airing at the moment and will go through a fine tooth comb tomorrow to choose the final contestants.

I think the first few jars might not make it due to little to none flavour, but will decide that tomorrow. Same goes for the last jars.

I could easily leave the first and last 2 jars out and be happy that it's a good, clean product, but flavour wise I'm not sure if I'll be missing out.

Once I've made the cuts, I'll mix and dilute to 65% and get it sitting on oak. Not sure my 5L demijohn is going to suffice anymore :shock:

I ended up finishing the run at about 330pm, including a bit of clean-up. I did use my LM for it, and happy that I did choose it because it worked great as a pot.

So any tips for the final cuts?
Distillnation

Postby Sam. » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:36 pm

Good work mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If your unsure walk away and let your taste buds return to normal, make sure you water back to 40% to taste, start in the middle and work outwards.

Give it a couple more days airing if you need to.

You will be fine ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby SBB » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:48 pm

Distillnation wrote:I think the first few jars might not make it due to little to none flavor,

Unless they smell or taste of heads Id throw them in, A bit of time on oak and they will come good.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Distillnation » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:27 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Good work mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If your unsure walk away and let your taste buds return to normal, make sure you water back to 40% to taste, start in the middle and work outwards.

Give it a couple more days airing if you need to.

You will be fine ;-)

Yeah, I'll start the taste test tomorrow and see how it goes. Once I've got final figures worked out I'll have to start reading up more on the dominoe ratios.

Oh, I'm in no hurry haha, it's been just over a month since I started the first wash, a couple extra days won't matter :lol:

Cheers sam

SBB wrote:Unless they smell or taste of heads Id throw them in, A bit of time on oak and they will come good.

At the moment there isn't a heads smell to it, but I'll water a bit down and see if I can get anything from it. Might as well make the most of it after the effort put in.

Thanks SBB, you may have just saved a litre or so from the feints jar.

I promise to update sooner tomorrow as well...hopefully
Distillnation

Postby Distillnation » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:33 pm

Okay, so final update!

I made my cuts. Watering them down helped bring out more taste and aroma which made it a hell of a lot easier.

I ended up with about 6.5-7L of 65% of final UJSM. I have just over 6L of that on oak, and another 700mL as just white spirit. I have a few friends that want to try a proper "moonshine", so that will be kept for them. Plus, it's some pretty nice stuff as is.

Now I have the horrible task of waiting for it to oak up :angry-banghead:

Thanks for all the help guys! Looks like I'll have to start a rum to pass the time now :lol:
Distillnation

Postby Sam. » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:42 pm

Gotta be happy with that yield mate :happy-partydance:

It will be worth the wait ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Distillnation » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:01 pm

Yeah,I definitely can't complain about it. I don't drink a huge amount so that is a nice supply for me. Although family...and friends..it might not last add long as I think :lol:.

I've got my 5L demi filled to the neck and 2 dominoes spilt in half. 1 dark toast 1 lighter toast.

Then a 900mL jar with 1 dominoe. That will be my tester.

How long till it starts to take color and flavour?
Distillnation

Postby Sam. » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:12 pm

Distillnation wrote:Yeah,I definitely can't complain about it. I don't drink a huge amount so that is a nice supply for me. Although family...and friends..it might not last add long as I think :lol:.

I've got my 5L demi filled to the neck and 2 dominoes spilt in half. 1 dark toast 1 lighter toast.

Then a 900mL jar with 1 dominoe. That will be my tester.

How long till it starts to take color and flavour?

Real broad question there mate, depends on the char/toast, if its fresh, the starting ABV, temp etc.

But I would give it at least a month before thinking about drinking it. Sample on the way to see the changes but it will get better with age as long as the ratio is about right which all depends on surface area.

Clear as mud? :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

UJSM Time!

Postby Dominator » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:04 am

I have only done one spirit run, I use that term loosely, and have used some light toasted oak cubes from my LHBS. The packet recommended 10-20 cubes per Ltr for 2 weeks. I started with 15 cubes per L and within a few hours it was starting to get some color. I got scared of over oaking it so I cut it back to 8 cubes per L and it has been just over 2 weeks now. Image
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Distillnation » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:59 am

sam_and_liv wrote:Real broad question there mate, depends on the char/toast, if its fresh, the starting ABV, temp etc.

But I would give it at least a month before thinking about drinking it. Sample on the way to see the changes but it will get better with age as long as the ratio is about right which all depends on surface area.

Clear as mud? :laughing-rolling:

Haha yeah, I figured it wouldn't be a simple answer.

In the 5L it has a heavy and I'd say medium dominoe. I went for one of each to try balance the flavour, but will just have to keep an eye (and tongue) on it over time.

I split them both in half, to get them down the neck, but also to increase the surface area, but probably could have split them again.

Yep, doesn't get much clearer then that :lol:

Dominator wrote:I have only done one spirit run, I use that term loosely, and have used some light toasted oak cubes from my LHBS. The packet recommended 10-20 cubes per Ltr for 2 weeks. I started with 15 cubes per L and within a few hours it was starting to get some color. I got scared of over oaking it so I cut it back to 8 cubes per L and it has been just over 2 weeks now. Image

Was that at 65%? That's taken on some nice colour. I think I'll have to be waiting a while to see some in mine :(

Have you tested any to see what flavors have come across?
Distillnation

UJSM Time!

Postby Dominator » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:35 am

Yeah that's at 65%. I have had a few samples of it. 2 weeks has made a massive difference. At first it tasted of really strong tails, was pretty shit to be honest. But now it had really mellowed. It is rum so it had a really nice molasses bite to start with, there is really faint oak flavor but it has a hanging tails taste at the end. More time and I don't think it will be too bad.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby Distillnation » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:06 am

Do you think the tails taste was because of mixing a bit more tails in it then expected, or its just the kind of taste you get when working with flavoured spirits?

I actually just went and checked on mine just then, and to my surprise seen this:
IMG_20130605_082745.jpg

The camera/flash really enhances the colour of it, it really doesn't look that dark at all. It's a really pale colour compared to the photo. The end one is just plain white UJSM for comparison. But it definitely is taking colour. The larger 5L one doesn't have a whole lot of colour yet.

Will be fun to watch over the next few weeks to see how its coming along :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Distillnation

Postby Dominator » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:11 am

The tails taste is just from me blending to much tails in. Also I don't have a power controller for my heater element so my spirit run was too fast which resulted in quite a bit of smearing. :angry-banghead: :violence-stickwhack: :angry-banghead:
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Next

Return to Reflux Stills