UJSM Time!

Reflux still design and discussion

Postby Distillnation » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:40 am

Ahh okay. Yeah a controller is a very handy thing. Good to hear that the oak is doing its thing though. Do you find that there are little bits of oak (I'm talking tiny) floating around or settled to the bottom? It may just be me, due to breaking them up more...nothing a coffee filter can't fix I guess.
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Re: UJSM Time!

Postby Distillnation » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:37 pm

A little update. The colour has gotten darker in both the jars. The demijohn has an amazing smell to it. Sort of vanilla/sweet/fruity kind of smell. The small jar has a stronger, toasted/deeper flavour to it.

I've got to admit, I'm tempted to just take a swig straight out the bottle, but after burning my tongue at tea last night, it probably wouldn't be the best idea, especially at 65% :lol:.

Distillnation

UJSM Time!

Postby Dominator » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:14 pm

Good stuff. Yeah mine has some tiny little floaters and divers in it.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby SBB » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:08 pm

Why hasnt the oak in the 5L job sunk yet?? I reckon a couple more pieces that size in there wouldn't hurt.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Distillnation » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Dominator wrote:Good stuff. Yeah mine has some tiny little floaters and divers in it.

Cool, good to know I'm not the only one who'll be drinking splinters.

SBB wrote:Why hasnt the oak in the 5L job sunk yet?? I reckon a couple more pieces that size in there wouldn't hurt.

It took a bit for the smaller jar to sink, but I'm thinking another dominoe split in two might be good. Not sure if I want to make it a dark or light toast though.

So far it has one dark one light (both split so they fit the neck)..the light one seems to give off a nice aroma though...maybe half dark, half light.

I've got about 700mL of unoaked ujsm that I can use for experiments as well.
Distillnation

Previous

Return to Reflux Stills