pure distilling home spirit maker

Reflux still design and discussion

Postby russell » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:12 am

Hi all,
what a great site guys keep the interaction going. I am thinking about upgrading from an Air Still to a pure distilling home spirit maker reflux still any fors and against for this still i am not that knowledgeable in this area so any assistance greatly appreciated.
russell

equipment: air still

Postby Sam. » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:56 am

Have a look at the commercial section here mate you will be able to get a much better rig for the price you will fork out at a brew shop.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: pure distilling home spirit maker

Postby Dominator » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:08 am

I guess the first question is what do you drink? If you are making neutral spirits and flavoring with rum/bourbon essences then save some money, time and effort and get a pot still, if you are drinking neutral spirits then there are better options than the pure distilling rig.

Either way, like Sam said, for the cost of the pure distilling boiler and still you could get your self a bigger, better still from JayD, or build one your self for even less, and get a keg to use a a boiler. Then you have a 50L boiler as opposed to 25L and you can easily up grade to a bigger still in the future if you wanted.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby MacStill » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:30 am

That little rig is a proven performer and probably is the best choice for a little brew shop rig, quite a few folks here run these and make some good booze with them.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:11 am

I own one of these, was always pretty pleased with the product but I wish I'd found this site before I bought it. They are seriously expensive and will only ever produce neutral alcohol (think vodka without the body).

If you want anything other than vodka you're going to need a pot or a bubbler. And you'll find once you get addicted to distilling you are going to want more variety and flavours - you won't get that with this rig.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby JayD » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:24 am

Welcome to the forum... :handgestures-thumbupleft: Good luck with your quest...
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby jasonc2861 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:59 pm

All the advice above is the best you can get mate.ive got one of these stills,and with a good tpw wash,good cuts,you will get a good product all the time :handgestures-thumbupleft: but yer it'll only ever be neutral vodka.if you don't mind the store bought flavours,for which there are some good and a lot of bad ones I've learned.saying all that if I knew what I know now,I'd have bought a pot still to make proper bourbon and rum. :D good luck with the decision mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Postby Andy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:28 pm

shop around (if you have not already planned to). the price ranges greatly
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby znipa-x » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:49 pm

I've had my pure distilling reflux for 7yrs now, I got the five litre boiler (exposed element) to start and just replaced it last month with the current 5 litre boiler , for simplicity the thing just works, I chose a 5 litre boiler as I don't have the time to run 25-50 litres in one go, it makes perfect clean spirit that I oak or flavour to my desire... one day I'd like to build a "proper" pot still and make a "proper" rum or corn mash whiskey, but for now the thing just works, I don't need to worry about cuts, timing, this/that, temperatures or whatever, it does what I got it for and that's getting me pissed :teasing-tease:
znipa-x

Return to Reflux Stills