Charles 803

Reflux still design and discussion

Charles 803

Postby Glovefoot » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:49 pm

Hi all,

I am looking to build my first reflux still and it was my intention to build a Boka design sourced from the net(standard), however I have been advised from a chap that lives local to me that it would be better if I built a Charles 803 design.
Not entirely sure about it, I started to do a little research but in doing so, I have discovered that this particular design was intended more so for the production of biofuel.
My intention is to produce an extremely high quality vodka and have no desire to mix any after market flavouring to turn it into something it's not.
If anyone here could please voice their opinion ie. pros vs cons etc. it would be most appreciated.

Glove
Glovefoot

equipment: Boka Reflux

Re: Charles 803

Postby bt1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:39 pm

Howdy,

803 would not be my first choice for a design...it's 30 plus years old and slow as death warmed up.

It also has a couple of design ideas I won't consider reasonable these days, the valve arrangement and no take off control.

A straight 3" or even better 4" boka would eat it in terms of output volume and also quality. Some of the new highly developed structured packing that's just coming on the market would further boost performance for flavours (or lack there of) and output rate.

Do make a point of looking into this new packing...it's reportedly that far in front of existing packing it's almost laughable. Some enterprising blokes have done it in copper and it's not sheet form but pourable.

A 2" boka I won't suggest..been there...its slow to the point of frustration and eventual disappointment.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Smbjk » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:05 pm

I have a 2" boka. Maybe slow but still great to learn on. Wouldn't say a disappointment :-p
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby haze » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:14 am

ive started on a 3" boka. its been great. Although i have nothing to compare it to yet. It makes a pretty much tasteless neutral if you do a stripping run first. I use the TPW recipie and i add baking soda after stripping run. Works for me, but if you want vodka that would be a different recipie i imagine and you would want some flavour through.
haze

equipment: 3" boka SS, 50lt keg, copper scrubbers,insulated column, 1/4" takeoff, 2 x 2200w elements with heat controller

Return to Reflux Stills