Ultrapure/ Pure distilling Modification

Reflux still design and discussion

Postby twobottles » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:43 pm

Hi there guys.

I've noticed that a few of you have one of these little reflux units listed in your equipment or have mentioned owning one in other threads.

Is there a thread just for these stills?

It would be great to have a place to share modification ideas, discuss things the still can do well, what to avoid, recipes that worked great etc.....

Im especially interested in trying to increase the speed of takeoff has anyone done this already?

Do you know what the limitation of takeoff is on the still? For example is it the size of the aperture in the valve? Will increasing this size increase takeoff? If anyone knows what the internals of the still look like I'd like to hear about it..... I don't think it has slant plates but I don't know exactly how the distillate escapes once condensed.

Cheers
twobottles

equipment: 50 mm pure distilling reflux still, extension with extra scrubbies, now triclamped to a 50l keg with a triple ring gas burner. 2" modular shottie pot still!

Re: Ultrapure/ Pure distilling Modification

Postby crow » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:33 pm

There are at least 2 threads documenting mods to these. I extended the column and some other ppl went further a put a needle valve in place of the ball valve. The ball valve is deliberately limited to 1.5 ltrs an hr but you would struggle to achieve that
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:36 pm

Howdy mate. They work as per a Liquid Management still in this post:
viewtopic.php?t=3117#p46590

The valve is designed to only allow a trickle of spirit out to stop people screwing it up. These are designed as a lowest common denominator rig and while they are very much a "set and forget" unit that delivers a consistent neutral every time. You just have to feed it and watch it.

As for modifying it you want to be careful (NB: I own one of these too) as crow will tell you once you pull the packing out that is used to generate the reflux (copper or stainless mesh depending on what vintage of these you have) you will have a hell of a time getting it back in.

So modify at your leisure if youre game but these are only ever going to be a reflux still. It's not a pot, it's not a bubbler. Look at getting as much as possible out of your neutral with steeping and flavouring and fruits etc but neutral is what it was designed for and pretty much all they are good for (and they do make great neutral)
EDIT - posted same time as crow.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby crow » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:11 pm

Yes personally I wouldn't abide removing the packing but a packed column extension will deliver a much better product if you want to run it moderately quick eg approaching 1.5 LPH
They are what they are , of the HBS rigs they are one of the better ones but they are a small slow reflux still
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby twobottles » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:25 pm

Yeah thanks guys, I will persevere with this one, Ive given it a bit extra height and some more packing. luckily for me removing the scrubbers isn't so hard, I simply get a bit of no8 and whack the last 1cm in the vice bend it over 180 et voila scrubbie remover.

Its made some nice rum, brandy from the grapes in the garden and yes heaps of neutral which made its way into limoncello, lime vodka, blueberry vodka (awesome) and various other homebrew essence shit that just sits under the stairs until I can find someone to give it to. Since I came across this place Ive been doing proper recipes! So cheers.

In fact the lime vodka is getting a bit of a tasting as we speak, a little lemonade and bitters and we're off.

Im on the 3rd gen of BWKO and its the only still I have so unless I get my A into G quickly enough and build a pot still it will be running that as well......

Searching for those other threads....... I only managed to find this one.

It hasn't rained for a while on a weekday here which will be my only chance of visiting scrappies and plumbing supplies shops. Im looking forward to a rainy day so I can get this pot still moving!

Cheers
twobottles

equipment: 50 mm pure distilling reflux still, extension with extra scrubbies, now triclamped to a 50l keg with a triple ring gas burner. 2" modular shottie pot still!

Return to Reflux Stills