Guess the still capacity!

Reflux still design and discussion

Guess the still capacity!

Postby FireKitty » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:06 pm

So guys, here it is, my new (old) still. I'm guessing it used to be a keg, but wondering if anyone here would have an idea what capacity in litres it might be? Cheers :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FireKitty

equipment: Ultra Pure reflux still with 30L boiler

Re: Guess the still capacity!

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:10 pm

30ish litres?

I'd be turfing that plastic outlet hose quickfast and in a hurry, too...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby db1979 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:13 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:I'd be turfing that plastic outlet hose quickfast and in a hurry, too...

:text-+1:

Can we get a stubby next to it in another photo?
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby ticknaylor » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:31 pm

FireKitty wrote:So guys, here it is, my new (old) still. I'm guessing it used to be a keg, but wondering if anyone here would have an idea what capacity in litres it might be? Cheers :)

Why guess kitty get a 10l buck for a couple of bucks from woolies they have litre increments and fill it with water then you can get an actual capacity :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ticknaylor

Postby FireKitty » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:06 am

ticknaylor wrote:
FireKitty wrote:So guys, here it is, my new (old) still. I'm guessing it used to be a keg, but wondering if anyone here would have an idea what capacity in litres it might be? Cheers :)

Why guess kitty get a 10l buck for a couple of bucks from woolies they have litre increments and fill it with water then you can get an actual capacity :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I was going to, unfortunately just gone to pains to give it a good clean-out and get it bone-dry :P When I put my 2X15l washes through I'm sure I'll get a better idea....

I was wondering about the plastic outlet hose. There seems to be some clear plastic tubing shoved up it like a catheter(!), will this suffice? What should I replace it with?

I'll try and get another shot in when I have the equipment out next - this pic was as the previous owners place, I've since cleaned it up and got that brass polished somewhat ;)
FireKitty

Postby FireKitty » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:40 am

Another few quick questions folks (yup am a noob sorry, want to 'know it all' before I do my first proper run :P), as I was just reading up in the Beginners section relating to still types and stripping runs. So....

From the pic, can anyone tell me
1. Exactly what kind of (reflux?) still it is? Has marble packaging inside, and
2. Is it essential that I remove the packing for the stripping run?

Cheers :)
FireKitty

Postby Dominator » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:48 am

I would be turfing the plastic hose too. If it were me, I would set up my colection jar right under the copper tube, if you need to extend it, I would only use copper, stainless or glass.

The still appears to be a CM or cooling management reflux still, there are a few of these particular stills floating around although by most accounts they are not very good at producing high ABV. Removing the marble and replacing them with SS scrubbers will help.

You don't have to remove the marbles when your stripping however the still will run faster with them out.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby FireKitty » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:19 pm

SS Scrubbers? As in the stuff you scrub dishes with?

EDIT: Just been Googling stuff about it, gonna look more into it but sounds good. Def need to keep researching to get an idea how much to get, how far to shove it up there, and how often I need to take out/clean/replace. Might go have a browse through Masters or Bunnings to get an idea too.

Does ABV matter in the end when the product gets watered down to 40%, or does this have more to do with cleaner cuts etc?

:)
FireKitty

Postby Dominator » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:32 pm

The aim of a reflux still is to produce neutral spirit, which you want as little flavour as possible, the higher your ABV, the less flavour you will have. For flavoured drinks, rum, whiskey etc.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby res » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:02 pm

FireKitty wrote:
Does ABV matter in the end when the product gets watered down to 40%, or does this have more to do with cleaner cuts etc?

:)

I have been thinking about this today in the context of bubblers, specially about the correlation between stills that produce higher purity of spirit and if it naturally follows they produce greater separation within the spirit as well. It seems the answer must be yes. Separation is separation, that's what stills do the better the still the more fractions of separation, first water from alcohols then heads from hearts and tails etc.
Some stills can find the lines more clearly than others. :-B
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby FireKitty » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:09 am

So at a (possible) 30l, how full should I be filling this baby with wash? 2/3, 3/4, all the way?
FireKitty

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:46 am

I'd leave at least 5L or so gap at the top. If you work on a 25L ish wash, you should be fine
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Kimbo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:14 am

Zak Griffin wrote:I'd leave at least 5L or so gap at the top. If you work on a 25L ish wash, you should be fine

:text-+1:
Unless your running a Molasses wash, then I would leave a more head space :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby drunkmore » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:52 am

Why guess
Pye x radius squared x height will give you a really good indication of its volume
Don't forget to do a cleaning run Vinegar and water then run a sacrificial spirit run. This will teach you heaps. The first time I ever ran my stil I ran that sacrificial four times just playing with it to see what would happen :handgestures-thumbupleft: it dosent hurt to be patient.
Then when you run your first real go dump the first 100 mill and do really deliberate cuts. I didn't know about cuts back when I started but when I learned I started doing them 100 ml at a time and don't regret it at all .
It gets easier as you get practice.
Keep up the good work and keep safe
drunkmore

equipment: Pda1 over a 50ltr Keg cooled via recirculated 2000 ltr water tank
Cookan with Gass

Postby FireKitty » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:24 pm

drunkmore wrote:Why guess
Pye x radius squared x height will give you a really good indication of its volume
Don't forget to do a cleaning run Vinegar and water then run a sacrificial spirit run. This will teach you heaps. The first time I ever ran my stil I ran that sacrificial four times just playing with it to see what would happen :handgestures-thumbupleft: it dosent hurt to be patient.
Then when you run your first real go dump the first 100 mill and do really deliberate cuts. I didn't know about cuts back when I started but when I learned I started doing them 100 ml at a time and don't regret it at all .
It gets easier as you get practice.
Keep up the good work and keep safe

Have given it a vinegar run, although I think I might've stuffed up my first wash with a SG of 1.03, so (watered down?) that'll probably be my sacrificial wash :P

With each 100ml cut, are you leaving that in a jar of it's own overnight, or sampling it straight away and deciding which final bottle it's going into, etc?

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
FireKitty

Postby Sam. » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:39 pm

Yes leave them on their own for at least 24 hours.

Have you read about cuts here?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby FireKitty » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:23 pm

I have, is just such a new notion as the only other people I knew who had a still, pretty much drank the first run with no cuts or filtering... probably why it tasted like ass :-P
So I take it alcohol won't evaporate while being exposed in open jars?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]
FireKitty

Postby JayD » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:46 pm

yes it will but it will evaporate the bad stuff along with a couple of abv% points
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby FireKitty » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:29 am

Does that stink up to room that you air them in?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]
FireKitty

Re:

Postby Sam. » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:46 am

FireKitty wrote:Does that stink up to room that you air them in?

Yes there will be a smell with it but it dissipates quick :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Next

Return to Reflux Stills