Boka/VM combo, and Pot head First build

Reflux still design and discussion

Boka/VM combo, and Pot head First build

Postby Muddydisco » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:11 am

Hi all. Finally starting out on my build now parts are starting to arrive.
Going with a Boka/Vm combo, in 54mm pipe and around 1.2m tall column, I say that as I have 2m to use for both boiler connection and the Boka head etc, so may be taller of shorter. Going to sit on top of a 20ltr boiler and thinking of running 12.5 ltr at a time so a wash will be 2 runs. Yes I know you'll all say it's too small, but I want to start out this way, then If the bug bites then I can build a bigger boiler for the column or most likely a completly new still.
Column will be split in 2 sections and centering rings and a removable head, that I then can run the boiler as a full Pot still with a pot still head.
I'm no good with fancy diagrams so you'll just get pictures of the build as it happens.

This is the Boka head Samohon from HD has drawn which is what I'm going off

My boiler vessel, it's an insulated tun, with a 2750w element in it, will be building a controller for it also

Got to love shiny

Made a start on the slant plates, must say the templates on HD work an absolute treat, took all the maths out of it!

Thats me so far, waiting for pay day so I can order my copper fittings.

Nick
Muddydisco

equipment: Nothing but researching a VM/LM combo head to use on a still that can be a pot as well

Re: Boka/VM combo, and Pot head First build

Postby Linny » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:02 am

I dont think its too small , its a good size i like what you have done with your boilers ,where did you get it from ?
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Muddydisco » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:37 pm

Opps dead links and can't edit

The start of the boka slant plates

And tri clamps to make it modular

Muddydisco

equipment: Nothing but researching a VM/LM combo head to use on a still that can be a pot as well

Postby Muddydisco » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:46 pm

Got my plates hard soldered in today, Functional not quite so pretty as some.

The threaded fitting is for my Thermometer connection 6mm stainless compresion joint.

The Insides before cleaning

Coming along slowly. The pipe T peice connections will be soft soldered so I can remove easily if needed without disturbing the other solders.
Muddydisco

Return to Reflux Stills