Condenser for a 2 1/2" Boka

Reflux still design and discussion

Condenser for a 2 1/2" Boka

Postby harrance » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:53 pm

Finally decided to have a go at building a Boka'. I have been given a lovely 2m length of 2 1/2" copper pipe, which brings
me to my first problem, dimensions and material for the condenser.

In my research I have seen many designs for 2" column with double coils of 1/4" pipe and 3" using 3/8" pipe. With these combinations the coils take up half the cross sectional area of their column.
For my 2 1/2" column I am sure 3/8" pipe will be too thick to wind a coil properly. Then I am worried the 1/4" will be too thin, that is, not filling enough cross sectional area to work effectively.
I have been thinking about winding 1/4" tube at a diameter suitable for 2 1/2" and either putting some scrubber in the now larger empty core or maybe making a type of cold finger out of a loop of 1/4" to fit down the center of the coil.

I would appreciate any advice on this subject.

Thanks, Harrance.
harrance

equipment: 50l keg boiler, 3.5kw element with power controller.
Various 2" S/S and copper pipes and condensers held together with tri-clamps.
Car radiator cooled water recirculating system for condenser.
Old style stillspirit super reflux head with 25l boiler
Home made 5l Kentucky pot and coil.
Air still.

Re: Condenser for a 2 1/2" Boka

Postby bt1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:57 pm

Hello,

Yeh a cold finger with 3/4" inner tube would be a nice choice, it's well over for what a Boka would need but a little spare capacity never hurt.

Another option used to use on Hybrid pots (pots with coils) is to wind normally producing a slightly wider gap between inner and outer winds. Then thread SS scrubbies between the two. Periodically pull a small few threads through the outer coil winds as well assists to hold it in place.

The surface contact with both coils effectively cooling the stainless scrubby filler giving you a larger volume of cooling space. The vapour will flow through the scrubby and condense.. it's a efficiency improvement over a std. twin wound helix coil.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Return to Reflux Stills