pure distillery still??

Reflux still design and discussion

pure distillery still??

Postby wil » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:17 pm

Hey Blokes. Absolute newbie here. another novice Question or three, I know all you seasoned alchemist's :-B all like the non commercial units & its product,But being new I am a little daunted at the amount of input they require compared to say the pure distillery unit. so one question is are the pure distillery units any good ? is there anyone in the hunter valley/ Newcastle area that makes a 2" boka & do they need constant monitoring? & after buying the head,finding a boiler,element & fitting them up how much cheaper & better are they? any other alternative's?
Please don't tear me to shreds :pray: just trying to save myself disappointment & hard earned $$.
Also if anyone in my area is willing to teach me this fine art I would be most greatful.
Big Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wil :text-thankyoublue:
wil

equipment: 4" FSD Blockhead Neutralizer on a 50L keg boiler with FSD 2400Watt element

Re: pure distillery still??

Postby Andy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:26 pm

hey mate, welcome/
i have heard good things about the pure distilling unit.
imo all stills need some form of monitoring.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby pococse » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:35 pm

I use the pure distilling pot still as it is quite compact (which i needed as I live in an apartment, and dont have a garage) and reasonably easy to fit onto most electric boilers.

Its my first still so I cant compare it to another but it seems to be working well so far. It hardly uses any water to run, and is quick on stripping runs.
pococse

equipment: Keg King 35ltr Turbo Boiler
Pure Distilling Pot Still

Postby robbo1981 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:55 pm

If you want Automation, I came across this little beauty the other day. If only I had a spare $10,000.
http://www.istill.eu/#!products/cr4x
robbo1981

equipment: Home Made Stainless Reflux Still, 2400w Electric Element, Circulation Pump.

Postby Linny » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:06 pm

Hey theres a few of us from the hunter region , i'll ask around to see if someone want to off load a boka ... PM me if you ever need help etc etc
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby ekul » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:44 pm

A mate bought a boka off ebay and his product is fantastic. Not sure how much it cost him but I remember him saying that the keg + elements + boka + 200L fermenter + ingredients was cheaper than buying a 25L still from his local hbs!!

He had no experience with stilling at all and his second run was really good. First run was shitty because he forgot to put the packing in. :o

They look like a pretty simple design, i'm sure if you (or a mate ) are handy you could knock one up fairly easily.
ekul

equipment: none

Postby wil » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:49 pm

wow thanks for the replies guy's !yeah Andy I had expected to have a reasonable amount of input to running a still just didn't want to be working too hard to just run it.ekul that sounds reasonable too mate ! would like to take a look at the site if U can get a link for me, yeah im a little handy.Thank's heaps also Linny I am expecting I will need some guidance. Hey pococse that sounds good also I was concerned the pure distillery stills may not produce good enough spirits & would be a waste of time.whoo Robbo that"s up there mate, a smidge of over kill for my needs LOL.thanks again blokes for the replies & am happy to recieve more.
cheers again
wil
wil

equipment: 4" FSD Blockhead Neutralizer on a 50L keg boiler with FSD 2400Watt element

Postby BIG D » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:23 pm

Hey mate welcome I have a boka surplus to my needs I'm in the hunter to shoot me a pm if you're interested :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

pure distillery still??

Postby wedwards » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:13 pm

For what it costs, the pure distilling reflux still ain't bad for neutrals - depends on what you want to make
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby ekul » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:15 am

I talked to my mate and he said he just put boka into ebay and got one, wasn't sure of the store. He said his is 2inch if that helps.

I'm not sure if its ok to link to other forums but if you google "boka design" you'll find plenty of info on how to build one.
ekul

Postby Sam. » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:30 am

Just be careful of eBay, there are some dodgy rigs out there, make sure you do your research :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby ekul » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:13 pm

I searched ebay for boka and i'm 99.99% sure this is the same one my mate has. It even has the same colour teflon tape on the thermometer! http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bachelorette ... 015&_uhb=1
ekul

Postby backyard brewdog » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:34 pm

That thing looks the goods, fill it with some of FSD copper scrubbers and your sorted I reakon. Or is a copper coil enough?
backyard brewdog

Postby Geeps » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:42 pm

:roll: wait for it I'm sure some one is about to tell you about the maker of that :shifty: :shifty:
Geeps

equipment: Rose oil extractor

Postby MacStill » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:41 pm

Geeps wrote::roll: wait for it I'm sure some one is about to tell you about the maker of that :shifty: :shifty:

Someone already has :hand:

sam_and_liv wrote:Just be careful of eBay, there are some dodgy rigs out there, make sure you do your research :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby MacStill » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:43 pm

BIG D wrote:Hey mate welcome I have a boka surplus to my needs I'm in the hunter to shoot me a pm if you're interested :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Nice offer mate, good on you :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby wil » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:35 pm

:laughing-rolling: yeah thank's Geeps & Macstill reading between the subtle lines.
wil :handgestures-thumbupleft:
wil

Postby OzKev » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:57 pm

Why did that link from ekul get modified? seemed like a decent still...
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby MacStill » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:11 pm

OzKev wrote:Why did that link from ekul get modified? seemed like a decent still...

Because that seller is well known to the mods & admin for less than honourable reasons ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby backyard brewdog » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:32 am

Yeah so my words still stand lol. Fill those with some copper scrubbers and you may just get your neutral out :laughing-rolling:
backyard brewdog

Next

Return to Reflux Stills