New Build - Hybrid Reflux-Pot

Reflux still design and discussion

New Build - Hybrid Reflux-Pot

Postby Zaximus » Mon May 18, 2015 7:02 pm

Alrightee then, here goes.

As I've been reading around this (excellent) forum for a couple of months now, and absorbed a fair bit of the great work of the members' experiences in building stills, I thought I would give my second build a bit more style than my first still - which the strife calls a drug lab...although I did build this still purely for effectiveness and not to be pretty. Aaand, effective it is......but pretty it definitely ain't! :naughty:

First Still.jpg

So I told my strife that I will not look at building another still, :liar: but she's off to Europe in a month's time so out of site, out of mind.

As I love fruit spirit (being a wog that's just natural), I decided I definitely do want a pot available for use. But I also want to produce neutrals when I so desire. And I want some adaptability to fit with off the shelf modular parts. Quite a wish list, but after seeing builds on this forum I now know this is possible. So a hybrid reflux-pot still it is then, knowing that at a later stage when I get more opportunity to build additional part, I will add some bubbler plates, which I was thinking should be glass after seeing Woodducks brilliant work in his build....and how ridiculous is that 3 way inline thumper??!!? ^:)^

So anyway, drool wiped away...below are a couple of drawings of what I'm thinking. I'm going with an initial 2" copper pipe straight off the keg boiler (which I scored for $50 off Gumtree :handgestures-thumbupleft: ). So the configuration will be:
Reflux Column:
-1 x 800mm x 2” copper pipe (column);
-2 x easy flanges using ¼” pipe;
-2 x gaskets (keg to column & column to bend);
-2 x 2” tri-clamp (keg to column & column to bend);
-SS or copper mesh (column packing, although I think there will be plenty of copper in line I can get away with SS);
-¼” pipe copper reflux coil approximately 200mm in height.
Bend Section:
-2 x 90 deg 2” copper bends;
-2 x 70mm x 2” copper pipe (bend to column + bend to condenser);
-4 x easy flanges using ¼” pipe;
-1 x gasket (bend to bend);
-1 x 2” tri-clamp (bend to bend).
Shotgun Condenser:
-1 x 2” copper pipe (housing);
-5 x 500mm x ½” copper pipe (condenser cores);
-2 x copper reducing T 2” -> ¾” (water in/out);
-2 x 2” diameter round copper plates (condenser caps);
-1 x reducer 2” -> ¾” (condenser outlet);
-3 x easy flanges using ¼” pipe;
-2 x gasket (bend to condenser and condenser to reducer);
-2 x 2” tri-clamp;
Parrot:
-1 x 150mm ½" pipe (condenser reducer to parrot);
-1 x 60mm ¼" pipe (parrot vent);
-1 x 200mm ¾" pipe (parrot body);
-1 x 1"-¾" reducer for top of parrot;
-1 x 120mm ½" pipe (output for the fruit of labour);
-Ball valve for parrot drain (not drawn in).
Boiler:
-1 x 50L keg;
-2 x 2400W heating elements;
-Heating element power controller;
-1 x ¾" SS 90 deg bend (for drain bottom of boiler);
-1 x ¾" SS 250mm pipe (bend to valve);
-1 x ¾” SS ball valve;
-1 x 4” Sight Glass housing assembly.

So here it is...

Still.JPG

Still 2.JPG

Parrot.JPG

Condenser Cutaway.JPG

So my biggest concerns are, is the reflux column too long/too short? I've read a bit on here that column height should be longer than 1000mm but I'm concerned this will affect the still's performance as a pot still. I figure this will still give me ample reflux capability, but take out packing and forget the reflux coil and she's a straight pot again. Am I on the right track keeping it to 800mm max?

Cooling system is next on the cards to think about and I've read a fair bit about this on here already so looking forward to having a look at designing this too...or maybe not. I think it's more important I get started on the build first....which as I said earlier will start in a few weeks when the strife goes to Europe. But I've started sourcing parts already and as I said earlier, I have a keg already so I'm half way there.

Comments, feedback and advice are both appreciated and very welcome! :handgestures-thumbupleft: Cheers all.

Zax
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zaximus

equipment: Pot still with a thumper

Re: New Build - Hybrid Reflux-Pot

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon May 18, 2015 7:32 pm

Looks good to me!

You won't need to use 2" x 3/4" x 2" tees for the shotgun though, unless you happen to have a couple laying around!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby woodduck » Mon May 18, 2015 7:58 pm

:text-imwithstupid: there's no need for the T's just drill and solder. Check out this thread it might help
http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewt ... +condenser

Also i would go for 1" tube for the parrot body 3/4" is a bit small and will end up bouncing on you due to the hydraulic effect.

Are you doing a boka type coil for your reflux side of things? If so are you just putting it in the column or will you have a different head that will be interchangeable?

So good luck with your build mate and if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask we love build threads around here :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Zaximus » Tue May 19, 2015 1:51 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Looks good to me!

You won't need to use 2" x 3/4" x 2" tees for the shotgun though, unless you happen to have a couple laying around!

A mate (plumber) has ordered these for me, but I think you're right. I was thinking about the look of this and when looking at the design drawings I like the look of straight copper tube without the interruption of the tee's. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zaximus

Postby Zaximus » Tue May 19, 2015 2:03 pm

woodduck wrote::text-imwithstupid: there's no need for the T's just drill and solder. Check out this thread it might help
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3087&hilit=shotgun+condenser

Also i would go for 1" tube for the parrot body 3/4" is a bit small and will end up bouncing on you due to the hydraulic effect.

Are you doing a boka type coil for your reflux side of things? If so are you just putting it in the column or will you have a different head that will be interchangeable?

So good luck with your build mate and if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask we love build threads around here :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Mac makes it look so easy in that link...but all good, it only comes with experience doesn't it! :mrgreen:

I'm just going to keep the coil permanently mounted into the column. But the more I read I've been thinking that later on I need to make a dephlegmator anyway so that's got me thinking I should be making this separate to the packed section...for ease of adaptability.

But then I think it would also be pretty handy to just to have the in-built reflux coil. But I wasn't thinking of having plates inside like a boka, just letting vapour rise into 90 deg bends. Is this a problem? Or is the plated version more useful / better as a reflux condenser?
Zaximus

Postby woodduck » Tue May 19, 2015 2:21 pm

I'm not too sure on the coil inside? I haven't done much research on that but i guess aslong as you can hold full reflux it should work :think:

I wouldn't bother making an rc (reflux condenser ) for this 2" rig I'd leave that for your future bubbler, I'd stay with the coil idea.

There's some build guru's around here so I'm sure someone has tryed what your proposing.

Good luck
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby WTDist » Tue May 19, 2015 2:39 pm

Havent read the whole thread so if i miss something then my bad but with the coil i would say it would be fine permantly inside. its nearly exactly the same as i plan on making mine. im just taking the plastic cap on a t500 off and adding 2 90degree bends with a 2inch condencer with 7 inner 1/2".
Read this thread for more info by bt1 theres a bit of info on column height coils etc that can help. its 4 pages :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby RefluxEd » Tue May 19, 2015 4:12 pm

woodduck wrote:...I wouldn't bother making an rc (reflux condenser ) for this 2" rig I'd leave that for your future bubbler, I'd stay with the coil idea.
There's some build guru's around here so I'm sure someone has tryed what your proposing. ...

Hi Zaximus,
If you are definitely going to have a bubbler, I'd recommend going the dephlagmator (RC) route. After all, a decent dephlag will condense all vapour going through it for total reflux. My old BOKA is now on the scrap heap, if I'd thought ahead like you, I wouldn't now have a useless coil doing nothing.
After all, why reinvent the wheel?
If you do it all in modular sections, you'll be able to have every configuration required. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
A few extra pieces like some 4 x 2 adapters and you'll be laughing.
RefluxEd

equipment: 2 inch BOKA/LM/VM over 8 4x3x4 inch bubble plates + 1 bubble plate under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue May 19, 2015 4:32 pm

Not much use building a 2" shotgun RC for a future 4" bubbler, though...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby WTDist » Tue May 19, 2015 6:13 pm

Could always have 2 2" to 4" reducers to accomodate the larger 4" RC?
WTDist

Postby woodduck » Tue May 19, 2015 7:07 pm

Why not just use 4" instead of the 2" then? I guess may aswell just throw a few plates in and you've got a bubbler.

Up to you mate, all depends on what you want and your budget i guess.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby WTDist » Tue May 19, 2015 8:42 pm

woodduck wrote:Why not just use 4" instead of the 2" then? I guess may aswell just throw a few plates in and you've got a bubbler.

True, this is your build mate. sure there are many options but it is what you want and are happy with :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

Postby Zaximus » Tue May 19, 2015 8:51 pm

WTDist wrote:Havent read the whole thread so if i miss something then my bad but with the coil i would say it would be fine permantly inside. its nearly exactly the same as i plan on making mine. im just taking the plastic cap on a t500 off and adding 2 90degree bends with a 2inch condencer with 7 inner 1/2".
Read this thread for more info by bt1 theres a bit of info on column height coils etc that can help. its 4 pages :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah I read this thread after doing a hand mark up of my design and thought I was on the right track. Confirmed to me that the p potential for this was true. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zaximus

Postby Zaximus » Tue May 19, 2015 8:53 pm

woodduck wrote:
There's some build guru's around here so I'm sure someone has tryed what your proposing.

Good luck

Ya farken clown you are a build guru ^:)^
:laughing-rolling:
Zaximus

Postby Zaximus » Tue May 19, 2015 9:00 pm

RefluxEd wrote:
woodduck wrote:...I wouldn't bother making an rc (reflux condenser ) for this 2" rig I'd leave that for your future bubbler, I'd stay with the coil idea.
There's some build guru's around here so I'm sure someone has tryed what your proposing. ...

Hi Zaximus,
If you are definitely going to have a bubbler, I'd recommend going the dephlagmator (RC) route. After all, a decent dephlag will condense all vapour going through it for total reflux. My old BOKA is now on the scrap heap, if I'd thought ahead like you, I wouldn't now have a useless coil doing nothing.
After all, why reinvent the wheel?
If you do it all in modular sections, you'll be able to have every configuration required. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
A few extra pieces like some 4 x 2 adapters and you'll be laughing.

I totally appreciate that but my budget is shit! I've posted on another thread recently at my surprise to learn other blokes hide money from their strife to save for a build.... well that's me! :laughing-rolling: she's going to Europe with the kids shortly before me joining her so that's smashed or finances :wtf: but enough of the soap oprah. :crying-yellow:

I've thought about this too and whilst I like the idea, it would mean more time before getting to start running the new still. I suppose it's the balance between budget and desires isn't it.
Zaximus

Postby MacStill » Tue May 19, 2015 9:08 pm

Honestly IMHO :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I wouldn't build a refluxing pot still, I would be building a pot for striping and spirit runs even if for your vodka still and spirit runs on rums etc etc ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Zaximus » Tue May 19, 2015 9:11 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Not much use building a 2" shotgun RC for a future 4" bubbler, though...

WTDist wrote:Could always have 2 2" to 4" reducers to accomodate the larger 4" RC?

woodduck wrote:Why not just use 4" instead of the 2" then? I guess may aswell just throw a few plates in and you've got a bubbler.

Now you buggers are making me think I should just go with a straight out 4" column and fuck the internal coil to the 2". Only is finding 4" in Perth. I'll have to hit up my plumber mate and see what he says about availability and cost....dendendeeerrrnnn... the big problem.... $$$ :scared-eek:

Worth finding out though cos it may just mean a little bit of a longer wait. I do think it's best to plan ahead and that's why I went with the modular in the first place. And 4" pisses over 2" in terms of efficiency doesn't it. I'll check this out for sure.
Zaximus

Postby Zaximus » Tue May 19, 2015 9:16 pm

MacStill wrote:Honestly IMHO :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I wouldn't build a refluxing pot still, I would be building a pot for striping and spirit runs even if for your vodka still and spirit runs on rums etc etc ;-)

So you reckon leave the pot as a pot and not put the RC inside? And just run as pot for stripping and spirit? Then I guess later I could think about building the bubbler.
Zaximus

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue May 19, 2015 9:22 pm

Just build a plain old 2" pot for now mate. I've made plenty of tasty spirits with my pot still, and it's a great way to learn.

Itll be cheap, and you can keep some coin in the fund for later on when you build a 4" bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Tue May 19, 2015 9:42 pm

Zaximus wrote:
MacStill wrote:Honestly IMHO :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So you reckon leave the pot as a pot and not put the RC inside? And just run as pot for stripping and spirit? Then I guess later I could think about building the bubbler.

Yeah :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Next

Return to Reflux Stills