My 1st Boka build err lil help guys...

Reflux still design and discussion

My 1st Boka build err lil help guys...

Postby Wraith71 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:06 pm

SAM_0102.JPG
It all starts off so simply .. Hey I did pretty good in science at school ... I'm kinda handy in the garage , so why not .. after going down the buying it path .. and NOT very impressed ... break out the tools and a fair bit of reading online and following some pic's .. here's my first build .. 2in copper pipe.. cold finger , copper mesh for packing .. no lead solder ... if anyone can see a stuff up please gimme a nudge in the right direction...Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wraith71

Location: West of Sydney , East of Katoomba .. Hopin a big friggin dam dont break.
equipment: Boka reflux tall tower , home made full copper pot still (gas powered).. FINALLY 80ltr boiler 6000w with 6 plate 4in bubbler :)

Re: My 1st Boka build err lil help guys...

Postby rumdidlydum » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:52 am

Its customery to introduce your self.
Pop into the welcome center for your next move ;-)
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby scythe » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:34 pm

Oh dear you bought one from the cranky ebay seller, yeah its a bad design poorly executed.
Your one will work much better and faster.
Might want to make a double coil condenser if your one does not knock all the vapour down for you.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Adam007 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:18 pm

Hi mate, you can check out my boka build in my signature link.

What size copper is your take off tubing?
Adam007

equipment: 2" Boka
2" Pot
50L Keg Boiler 2400W

Postby Wraith71 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:20 pm

scythe wrote:Oh dear you bought one from the cranky ebay seller, yeah its a bad design poorly executed.
Your one will work much better and faster.
Might want to make a double coil condenser if your one does not knock all the vapour down for you.

Hi , Thanks for that .. I was thinking of that when I made it .. did plan to fill the coil void a bit with some copper mesh or running some wooo baby its cold water .. devils in the details.. The cranky doorstop mite end up as wall art or I mite hit it with my blow torch gut it and salvage whats good if any ..
Wraith71

Location: West of Sydney , East of Katoomba .. Hopin a big friggin dam dont break.
equipment: Boka reflux tall tower , home made full copper pot still (gas powered).. FINALLY 80ltr boiler 6000w with 6 plate 4in bubbler :)

Postby Darwin award » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:33 pm

Yeah, I got one them too.....its serviceable for neutral...if you get the extension as you did...if you pack it with mesh...if you chill your cooling water before you run it through....if you do 3 runs....actually....no, it isn't that good come to think about it :laughing-rolling: Atleast you supported the veterans....
Darwin award
Site Donor

equipment: Reflux still 1x store bought 1x home made copper 1 x eBay pot still....1 FSD Neutralizer set up and happy in it's new home

Postby Wraith71 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:51 pm

Adam007 wrote:Hi mate, you can check out my boka build in my signature link.

What size copper is your take off tubing?

Hey Adam ....Im not very good with still part names yet .. ( Redneck remember!) so bring a match and enlighten me ... And big congrats on your Boka .. sure looks like you had a blast making it, very neat. If it tastes as good as it looks you'll be singing bohemian rhapsody backwards in no time!. ... I am half way building a Liebig for mine also .. not sure what difference it makes but .. only one way to find out.
Wraith71

Postby Wraith71 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:01 pm

Hi Ya Darwin ...
Yer seems like every one ive chatted to says their a piece of the perverble .. .. even heard tell theres lead in it .. hummmm ........... anyways bit like ur first car ... no air con .. windy windows .. even had a tape deck for your Bon Jovi !! Its a learning curve.. ...
Wraith71

Postby Adam007 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:13 am

Take off = where the good stuff comes out. And the needle valve is hooked onto :)
Adam007

equipment: 2" Boka
2" Pot
50L Keg Boiler 2400W

Postby Wraith71 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:42 am

Adam007 wrote:Take off = where the good stuff comes out. And the needle valve is hooked onto :)

Ahhhh Gotchya ! :text-imwithstupid: Its 1/8 .. will be running about 4ft down, 3ft of which will be thru 3/4 water jacket cooler ..same 1/8 was used as a place to put a temp probe just below the top plate ... wondering if I should put a cap ontop of my coldfinger .. lol sounds a lil James Bond.
Wraith71

Postby Redux » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:03 pm

Welcome... im just west of you i think....

fun time learning the terminology... it does get easier! (but then you discover wash types)

anyhoo... Hiya!

:greetings-waveyellow:
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby Wraith71 » Tue May 31, 2016 2:55 pm

Hey ya-all ,
Don't ya hate it when you loose ur laptop .. and cant remember any login info .... sheesh what a pain .. any how hope every ones been good .. and big sorry if I missed any Q,s or G'Days ..
Wraith71

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Tue May 31, 2016 6:42 pm

Wraith71 wrote:
Adam007 wrote:Take off = where the good stuff comes out. And the needle valve is hooked onto :)

Ahhhh Gotchya ! :text-imwithstupid: Its 1/8 .. will be running about 4ft down, 3ft of which will be thru 3/4 water jacket cooler ..same 1/8 was used as a place to put a temp probe just below the top plate ... wondering if I should put a cap ontop of my coldfinger .. lol sounds a lil James Bond.

If you capped the cold finger, be sure to drill holes to vent to the atmosphere. Would hate to leave that valve closed and have a bomb go off.

You sound like you know what your on about anyway, so with that...
Welcome back mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: glad to have you back on board.
CaptainRedBeard

equipment: 2" SS Column Reflux Keg Still
2" Copper Pot Still w shotgun condenser
Kelvinator Fridge Fermenter

Postby Wraith71 » Tue May 31, 2016 10:41 pm

CaptainRedBeard wrote:
Wraith71 wrote:

If you capped the cold finger, be sure to drill holes to vent to the atmosphere. Would hate to leave that valve closed and have a bomb go off.

You sound like you know what your on about anyway, so with that...
Welcome back mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: glad to have you back on board.

Hey big thanks for the info , and the welcome back ... there is a vent hole already in place , its just above to slant plates. I was going to dangle a temp prob in there so if it gets too much pressure out she pops.. but I think having an extra on top wont hurt. I'm still testing out the cold finger and tweeking up a few minor mods. Will be posting a few pics of the finished item .
cheers all and and a big :text-thankyoublue: for help.
Wraith71

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:24 am

I wouldn't advice putting a vent hole anywhere that vapor may escape, it would need to be above your condenser not below. So make sure your thermometer is sealed in, no holes or leaks.

By having a hole above the plate, and below the condenser, your pretty much going to be spilling most of your booze out in vapor form. The vapors highly flammable too, so you could light up your garage like a Christmas tree.

Seal the sucker in, and only have it open with holes in your cap.
CaptainRedBeard

Postby Wraith71 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:20 am

CaptainRedBeard wrote:I wouldn't advice putting a vent hole anywhere that vapor may escape, it would need to be above your condenser not below. So make sure your thermometer is sealed in, no holes or leaks.

By having a hole above the plate, and below the condenser, your pretty much going to be spilling most of your booze out in vapor form. The vapors highly flammable too, so you could light up your garage like a Christmas tree.

Seal the sucker in, and only have it open with holes in your cap.

Hi Cap,
Funny you should point that out, cos that's the very thing ive been trying to get right. Ive had the condenser redneck fixed onto a coffee tin half full of simmering water checking whats going on where.. :angry-banghead: theres only so much you can learn without the practical side. ( watching too much mythbusters on discovery channel I think ) I will be sorting out not so much a cap as a loose fitting top plate with vent holes , the cold finger keeps sitting down to the plate and leaning against the side. So hopefully this will hold it bit more true.
Luckily my garage has very good ventilation thanks to twin exhaust fans installed to keep the smell of 2stroke from annoying the missus. But thanks for the good word , nice to know fellow stillers have a bit of nouse to spread the safety msg.
Cheers mate.
Wraith71

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:37 am

Haha, I love how everything just gets thrown back to being redneck related :laughing-rolling:

Mate, as a subtle piece of advice, scroll through the boka builds from members here on this site. You can replicate their builds that are proven to be safe and they work. Yours looks very similar to others on here, but I fear your missing out on some critical aspects, both in efficiency and safety.

Got any photos looking into your tube at your slant plate also?
CaptainRedBeard

Postby Wraith71 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:21 pm

Ok bit of an update ... ditched the coldfinger in fav of a helic wound double with a cap and some u-beaut fittings from the plumbers supply ... Works smuch better!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wraith71

Postby Wraith71 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:24 pm

Break out the grinder and gave it a chop top .. chuck in a few stainless bits and a heat proof gasket .. on went the long awaited drain valve .. and now we're cookin.
Wraith71

Postby Wraith71 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:29 pm

Now all back together ( settin up for a vinegar cleaning run ) even runs like a bought one..! :D Now wondering what to do with my big pot still..
Wraith71

Next

Return to Reflux Stills