Hazy gin?

Hazy gin?

Postby Jono » Tue May 19, 2020 11:18 pm

Hey all just tried a Gin for the first time this evening and it's pretty bloody tops. Did a recipe and noted that it is a bit hazy afterwards? Is this normal? I dumped about 2L of 92% neutral into my boiler along with hot water to speed things up and collected the good stuff. Cut it off when the flavours went funky. I ended up with about 5 litres of 36% really good gin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jono

equipment: 50L Beer keg boiler with two 2.4kw elements, a kegland controller, 2 inch Bokakob aka Billy Bob Boka and Jack the stripper a 2.5inch shell and tube condenser for pot mode or stripping... Building up to getting a 4 inch plate still

Re: Hazy gin?

Postby The Dark Alchemist » Wed May 20, 2020 9:39 am

Jono wrote:Hey all just tried a Gin for the first time this evening and it's pretty bloody tops. Did a recipe and noted that it is a bit hazy afterwards? Is this normal? I dumped about 2L of 92% neutral into my boiler along with hot water to speed things up and collected the good stuff. Cut it off when the flavours went funky. I ended up with about 5 litres of 36% really good gin.

Maybe louching - add 40% neutral and it should dissipate. Test on a small volume first; your final abv looks low enough for that to be the reason; I get it all the time, and address it this way (if I choose to, perfectly drinkable hazy)
The Dark Alchemist

equipment: FSD 200L Milk Can
FSD 4" Pot Still
FSD Neutraliser
Copper T-500

Postby Jono » Wed May 20, 2020 12:43 pm

Oh cool. No dramas then! Also wondering if it's beneficial to air it out after distilling? Even though I already aired out my neutral?

Cheers,

Jono.

Btw when I signed up to this forum I didn't realise my name was my username. Any way of changing my username?
Jono

equipment: 50L Beer keg boiler with two 2.4kw elements, a kegland controller, 2 inch Bokakob aka Billy Bob Boka and Jack the stripper a 2.5inch shell and tube condenser for pot mode or stripping... Building up to getting a 4 inch plate still

Postby tipsy » Fri May 22, 2020 11:55 pm

Gin is hard to do under 45% when you want to pack in flavour......I like flavour over a clear gin..

I do like it to be clear before adding tonic though....if it louches after that...so be it
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Return to General Gin Chat