cleaning a still

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: cleaning a still

Postby Heffers » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:02 pm

Is it an all stainless steel still? If so, it should have been tig welded together and therefore no flux to wash away. My opinion is yes that would be ok. If you are still worried block your offtake pipe with something, throw a couple of table spoons of bi carb soda down the column and follow it with some white vinegar. This with foam up quite explosively so just add the vinegar slowly. Give it a good shake around, empty, rinse well then steam run. (all that info is based on your still being stainless steel, not sure whether vinegar and bicarb is ok for copper).

Cheers, Heffers
Heffers

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still for Stripping
2.5" Condensor Controlled - Neutral Producer
2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby Johnboy1234 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:15 pm

HEY HEFFER Thanks for that, yes it is stainless steel and Im about 45 mins away from trying out the double carbon filtered wash(very 1st run) that I originally put aside for cleaning windows. It smells really smooth coming out of the carbon filter.
Johnboy1234

equipment: Euro 30-2 25L column reflux still

Postby SBB » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Heffers wrote:Tip Top, I'd hate to waste good rum :D .
Is the 1:6 vinegar to water about right for a steam run? Or am I being a bit heavy handed on the vinegar?
5Star wrote:If you were to run your 50l of mollasses wash and collect a litre of heads and discard, wouldn't you consider that as a chemical cleaning with hot ethanol?

McStill wrote:50/50 ratio is fine for about 2 hours after it boils ;)

Glad I checked in here and found this thread......saved me asking questions as Ive had a busy day and nearly finished my pot still to fit the T500 boiler.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Previous

Return to The Dunder Pit