In The Shed Today

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: In The Shed Today

Postby rumby » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:30 am

I put the metal thinging in the wall connection plug bit , then put another thingy in, abd the safety switchy flick.
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Postby maheel » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:57 am

rumby wrote:I put the metal thinging in the wall connection plug bit , then put another thingy in, abd the safety switchy flick.

hmm means no worky ? how you then make rumy ? Rumby
maheel

Postby rumby » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:04 pm

LOL

It worked a treat because I was just telling the missus what a good idea it would to get more circuits (but cost dollars)

Waiting the brother in law to put a new board in and add another couple of circuits. So I am going to run a very long lead from upstairs at the other end of the house which is run off a differnt circuit.

Billy not silly.
rumby

Postby SBB » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:17 pm

Put 25L of stripped Birdwatchers @ 40% in the T500 boiler at midday ......should get some good neutral out of this lot.....its had the bicarb/baking soda treatment as well...so will be interesting to see how it turns out.
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby SBB » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:24 pm

An interesting thing happened......I forgot they are starting to deliver 2011 census forms today. A woman walked around the side of the house and onto my back verandah waving a hand full of forms.........her eyes nearly popped out when she saw demijohns of clear liquids, hoses, copper pipes, drums of steaming water. I think she thought I might have been up to something other than making Grog :? :?
Spoze I can only wait n see what happens. :?
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby R-sole » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:36 pm

Yep, i had a young bloke knock on the door of my shed while i was cutting a ujsm run on the cutting bench on monday.

He was delivering a satchel :oops:

Not a good feeling for sure.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby maheel » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:00 pm

SBB wrote:An interesting thing happened......

did you just tell her what doing ? "making home brew"

best way i to be honest.... most just go "meh" and wander off.
maheel

Postby SBB » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:03 pm

I was a bit to slow......she kinda caught me by surprise....I though of telling her as she was driving down the driveway and outta site.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Wheeewwww 19 jars ...9L and 7.5 hours later its done..........I really have to get off my arse and build something faster. :roll:
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:51 am

Just warming up a 50L spirit run of UJSM and put another 20L of rum on oak, just ordered a bacon and egg roll via email to mrs mac.... will see how that goes :lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby R-sole » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:36 pm

What she's at work or in the house?

Bet your gunna say in the house.... :lol:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby MacStill » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:01 pm

5Star wrote:What she's at work or in the house?

Well it's her day off, but she works from home ;)

So yeh "in the house" :lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:46 pm

Spud1700 wrote:
Should get the plate tree tomorrow in the mail and I'll start welding some stuff up for that.

I've been pretty slack, I've got about 5 bloody things wrapped up to send out that are sitting in the dining room :oops:

I promise it will be sent first thing in the morning, the post office is 30klm from here and I've been trying to get all this stuff ready to send at the same time but it hasnt worked out..... Sorry for the fucking around, I'm just trying to save a few bob on fuel costs :oops:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby reknaw » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:55 pm

No worries at all as I said before I am in no great rush, I have heaps to keep me busy. I thought you sent it last Wed, whenever you get around to it is fine.

I'll weld up some more columns and finish the coldfingers, also going to do a bok and put it on ebay, it'll be easier to ship than the condensor controlled still. Just need to find cheap stainless needle valves.
reknaw

Postby rumby » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:28 pm

Spent all weekend finishing the new fortress (chicken coupe, I refuse to eat shop eggs) if clint esatwood (the birdman) can get in or out of this beauty, half his luck. Fully electrified around the perimeter & bang, nice charge. Betty (kelpie pup) went to get her toy next to it, yelp & shit herself, I made sure I was close by to comfort her, she is sweet.
Chickens are back on the cards (seven confirmed kills). A few have suggested frying the pup wont help, but she is smart enough to work it out (will only take two sparks to sort her out), I am glad we were home to comfort her, not tomorrow when we are at work. The first time she got hit, I hadnt finished it, so it wasnt live the next day & she chewed the tape to pieces.

Another Rumby lesson, when checking the whole line is live, dont touch accidentally touch the 200kg contuctor (coupe), I earthed it well, never been fried like that before.
rumby

Postby MacStill » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:27 pm

5Star wrote:What she's at work or in the house?

Just thought I'd mention ;)

" Here's you E&B roll smart arse" but I settled for last nights pizza and a coke :lol: :lol: :lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crozdog » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:03 pm

After a recent semi failure with a 50:50 corn : barley all grain (only got extract from the barley) I attempted a small corn only mash today to nail the process.

Here is the results

2kg corn, 6l cold tap water in stockpot on stove
slowly raised temp to 70 trying not to scorch (or scrape scorched bits off the bottom)
added 1ml Termanyl Classic enzyme stirred well.
Kept on heat till 95 then turned down heat & sat 30 mins.
Added 2l water & cooled to 65.
Added 4ml AMG 300 enzyme stirred in & sat for 60 minutes.
SG10 brix. (1.039)

Dissolved 3kg sugar in 10l hot water sg 25 brix (1.104).
Added corn mix
Volume in fermenter 19l
SG 21 brix (1.086) beersmith estimate was 10.85

Stoked is the word!! :D Just waiting for it to cool so I can pitch.

In between doing all tht I blended the output of yesterdays spirit run from the "failed" corn barley mash. Put 3l of tasty 63% on oak, so just gott be patient.

Might head back out & see if I can get 7kg molasses & 6kg raw sugar down for a rum. ;)
crozdog

equipment: 2" Bok
2" VM
2" pot
50l modified laundry copper for a boiler

Postby crozdog » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:24 pm

Just put the rum on - disolved 7.2kg molasses + 6kg raw sugar in 20l hot water, then topped up with cold to 50l.

Added 4 crushed multivitamin tablets & 4 teaspoons of DAP before pitching 100g bakers yeast on it.

OG 20brix (1.081) Can't wait
crozdog

equipment: 2" Bok
2" VM
2" pot
50l modified laundry copper for a boiler

Postby rumby » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:32 pm

Just cleaned 60 tally bottles & about to bottle 46l of homebrew (like a tooheys old, beautiful, the stuff I tried the other day is nine months old, really good)

Picked up a 200l drum with a tap hole today, just a 2 inch tap, (for mollasses, from stringas at hattonvale) & two more 80l fermentors (six in total now, plenty of wash to come), all about $72 big one, cheap as chips.
rumby

Postby R-sole » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:49 pm

Planted another apple tree, Golden Delicious.

Thats about 10 varieties on my little block now.

Malt fairy turned up today with 20kg of free malt :lol:
R-sole

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit