Tell us Your Fuckup's

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: Tell us Your Fuckup's

Postby crow » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:51 pm

well just blew the replacement airlock out the fermenter ( greedy fucker tried to get 79 ltrs in a 80 ltr container)
head space m'boy head space :doh:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:38 pm

My only fuck up today was answering the phone at 6am,fucked my whole day :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby googe » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:03 pm

Having a shit job and not being able to build and play with stills all day long :cry:
googe

Postby kelbygreen » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:18 pm

few that stick in my had (with brewing as I aint run anything yet).

1. First all grain brew put voile in a esky to mash it that was as didnt have my manifold ready. All was good so I thought mashed in 65deg got that closed the lid (didnt think of folding the voile into the esky).

Came out 20 mins later the is the sheet of voile sitting on the ground next to the esky! the lids off the esky! I am going off my head and 2 dogs cowering in the corner! FUCKERS! they ripped the voile out to get to the sweet sugar haha.

So tipped it into a fermenter go the other half of the voile put that in the esky and started again checked temp 58deg. Oh well its fucked anyway so left it. Was a massive step up from extract still with all that I think most the sugars converted before it turns to shit so all good :P

2. I had my manifold and was stirring the mash out water in knocked the end off the manifold as I had it so it could pull apart to clean. go to drain the esky get a few kernels and nothing! fuck! so blow threw the hose to clear it out try again same thing. WTF!

put a chemical glove on shove my hand it and feel its dislodged, by this time the mash is at 77deg lol after few secs "fuck that burns!" Ok so I put a leather glove on then the chemical glove get in there and put it back before my hand falls off from the heat. Ok fine go to drain! Nothing FUCK! the manifold is full of grain!

Tip into a fermenter clean out the manifold put it all back together and start again and it went fine. So after that I punched all the joins so they couldnt come apart :roll:
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby Linno » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:34 pm

somehow always manage to leave the tap on my boiler open after cleaning it and tipping the wash in and it goes all throught the laundry
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby kelbygreen » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:38 pm

oh that hurts! done it once was enough. worst one is a leaking tap that is a pain when you see it half way threw ferment lol. Again beer related prob not big problem with a wash as the alc% prob be enough by then
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby emptyglass » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:44 pm

Linno wrote:somehow always manage to leave the tap on my boiler open after cleaning it and tipping the wash in and it goes all throught the laundry

I havn't done it with wash yet, but its comming. If all the times I done it cleaning the bloody thing counts.

My drain is directly above where I put my foot when charging the boiler, so its sort of self reminding.
emptyglass

Postby kiwikeg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:31 pm

Paid too much for a ''100l'' keg from the scrap dealer with the top already cut out, bought 3 ss bowls 38cm 36cm and 34 cm before finding that fitted for a lid spent all afternoon and 6 rolls of PTFE making a gasket to seal it then while testing seal noticed the 15.5gallons stamp :angry-banghead: its only 58.7l!!!
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby tickle » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:54 pm

Yep, def need a fire extinguisher! Not trying to scare anyone, but hope to serve a reminder
tickle

equipment: 4" 4 plated bubble cap,

Postby unsub » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:07 am

I used a holesaw to cut a 2" hole in the side of a keg on the weekend and the disc of metal that I drilled out dropped into the keg which I promptly forgot and proceeded to hard solder in a 2" ferrule. Skip to an hour later when I stood the keg up and heard the disc rolling around happily in the keg... that now has 2 openings, both too small to get the metal out of. :doh:

I used an elaborate system of multigrips, needle nose pliers and a lot of swearing to bend the metal inwards enough to get out. I'll never do that again... until the next time :laughing-rolling:
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:55 am

Soldering one end of a 10 in long copper pipe 1 1/2 dia went to turn it round to do the other end the heat beat me to the other end [burnt fingers ] :oops:
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Camikaze » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:01 am

unsub wrote:I used a holesaw to cut a 2" hole in the side of a keg on the weekend and the disc of metal that I drilled out dropped into the keg which I promptly forgot and proceeded to hard solder in a 2" ferrule. Skip to an hour later when I stood the keg up and heard the disc rolling around happily in the keg... that now has 2 openings, both too small to get the metal out of. :doh:

I used an elaborate system of multigrips, needle nose pliers and a lot of swearing to bend the metal inwards enough to get out. I'll never do that again... until the next time :laughing-rolling:

unsub thats gold mate! You could've left it in as a permanent boiling chip... :laughing-rolling:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby crow » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:43 pm

Not taking the kids trick or treating. :Sheez I never grew up with that shit, the older boys I raised never did anything like that in SA. We didn't beg for lollies from strangers, Fuck and now somehow I'm a dead beat dad coz I said if ya want lollies I'll buy them, Ya just can't win these days :doh:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:57 pm

Letting Gas on in the gate at 10.30 am and sampling a rum :angry-banghead:

:teasing-blah: :obscene-drinkingbuddies: :obscene-drinkingchug: :obscene-drinkingbuddies: :teasing-blah:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby JayD » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:01 pm

croweater wrote:Not taking the kids trick or treating. :Sheez I never grew up with that shit, the older boys I raised never did anything like that in SA. We didn't beg for lollies from strangers, Fuck and now somehow I'm a dead beat dad coz I said if ya want lollies I'll buy them, Ya just can't win these days :doh:

i dont believe in this custom but my grandkids sure do! they got bags full of sweets and coin. I suppose there are worse customs our youngins could have.
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby kiwikeg » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:45 pm

JayD wrote:
croweater wrote:Not taking the kids trick or treating. :Sheez I never grew up with that shit, the older boys I raised never did anything like that in SA. We didn't beg for lollies from strangers, Fuck and now somehow I'm a dead beat dad coz I said if ya want lollies I'll buy them, Ya just can't win these days :doh:

i dont believe in this custom but my grandkids sure do! they got bags full of sweets and coin. I suppose there are worse customs our youngins could have.

I was anti the whole halloween BS for years with the Kids, till i ended up in ******** for halloween the Yank influence is strong there almost as much as the ^^^^^^, and I was a very unwilling guest and observer to how Halloween should be done now I am a convert to the whole thing.
So set some ground rules, have fun, be safe.
nobodys gonna go to hell for wearing a fancy dress costume.... :O)
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Popcorn Jack » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:09 pm

kiwikeg wrote:
JayD wrote:

I was anti the whole halloween BS for years with the Kids, till i ended up in ******** for halloween the Yank influence is strong there almost as much as the ^^^^^^, and I was a very unwilling guest and observer to how Halloween should be done now I am a convert to the whole thing.
So set some ground rules, have fun, be safe.
nobodys gonna go to hell for wearing a fancy dress costume.... :O)

Besides it helps teach the kids independence in a social eviroment while creating a neighborly world where we watch out for each others children.

Remember the days when kids use to roam the streets on there bikes?

PJ
Popcorn Jack

equipment: Turbo 500
A boka still in bits...

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:13 pm

ahhh the BMX days.. I was never any good a jumps but fuck could i ride with no hands! :handgestures-thumbupleft: 8-}
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby crow » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:27 pm

Update: just bought 3 big bags of lollies and a kg of chocolate, sucked in evil ex I'm forgiven :obscene-birdiedoublered:
crow

Postby Fatherjack » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:11 am

had the cooling water inlet/outlets arse about face for a short time this morning :scared-eek:
Fatherjack

equipment: 50l keg boiler
Mac pot still

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit