In The Shed Today

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: In The Shed Today

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:32 pm

Well on my own again so this week just doing inductions and when I mentioned I was told 4 hours pay :handgestures-thumbupleft: for each day you that. Well this week has been about stripping this mulled wine. Well got to the spirit run and put some Orange tincture spirit in to enhance the flavour so after the angels take their share about 1.5 litres to 80% :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So a full 2 litre jug to sit for 12 months :scared-eek: Well thats is a part of life when aging :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Got an email from qantas and my flight is Monday, now I have doped in my cousin so waiting on that as it will be his first shutdown :scared-eek: waiting on my sister to answer,

I have to say doing this is way better than waiting for a job fixing containers :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

So for that life to end with containers well here it is with spades don't treat me like that ever again as I am better than that......

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:39 am

Well there are days you win some and days you loose some, and days when it depends on your attitude if it is a win or loss.
THE WIN.
I have saved a heap of power and time as I no longer have to do 1 and half stripping runs today.

THE LOSS
60 litres of wash fell over while racking and is spread all over the floor of the shed and longer needs to be run.

I am still unsure if it is a win or loss. I am sure if i started drinking now it would definitely help me see the positive side more easily.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:14 pm

Wellsy wrote:Well there are days you win some and days you loose some, and days when it depends on your attitude if it is a win or loss.
THE WIN.
I have saved a heap of power and time as I no longer have to do 1 and half stripping runs today.

THE LOSS
60 litres of wash fell over while racking and is spread all over the floor of the shed and longer needs to be run.

I am still unsure if it is a win or loss. I am sure if i started drinking now it would definitely help me see the positive side more easily.

Saw this yesterday and I'm still trying to workout how a guy can spill 60 litres of wash all over the ground and the only thing I can think of is NEXT TIME Wellsy don't put your racking tub on a bbq chair as that was the only space to put it :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Anyway found a new way to keep the critters down in my shed while I'm away, I just made a couple of electrodes out of a 316SS tig rod and put a 1/3 of a large moccona jar fill of table salt then filled it with water. Then hooked it up to my 15 watt solar supply and soon after started producing gas, namely chlorine gas and sodium hydroxide where both gas's are heavier than air so just let the sun put a toxic barrier at ground level as I don't want to use those baits as it may harm my pet a huge female brown snake that has it's home close to my shed. I have put a hole in so it can come and go and got a bit of a shock last weekend when I nearly walked over her :scared-eek: this has been going on for close to 10 years or more and better to have a friend rather than a foe.

Besides the sunning spot for this snake is out the front of my shed so while I'm away on this shutdown I will know I have the base's covered and a couple of ice cold lager's is going down nice from my shed fridge which has become the dumpload for my shed.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby The Stig » Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:55 pm

Wellsy wrote:Lol
Perfect. You better post up some pics once you get it sorted mate :)

So the new toy slipped out of my grasp.
Being a man of my word I thought the deal was done but then the seller said he had a buyer offering more coin .
So I gave up.
This is what could have been.
The good news is , now I have more room for stock :music-deathmetal:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:31 am

Bad luck Stig
I can just see you cruising around in that. Hopefully the buyer seeels to the guy on eBay that offers more money and pays via PayPal and has a mate collect the car after it has been paid for via PayPal. He works on an oil rig so can’t get there. That would be karma.

Another one will turn up, or perhaps a nice bright yellow sandman can fill the gap
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:20 pm

G'Day Guy's,
Well as suppose I can call this shutdown as in the shed :laughing-rolling: s just over the top

Well on Monday good ol' qantas was an hour and a half late so when we got to Brissy straight off one plane and on to another where my tools were left behind :angry-banghead:

They did turn up on the next flight in the morning so all was well and I got my tools :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Well the food here aint half bad and gotta say they do cook a fillet steak pretty good :laughing-rolling: and yea the food and accommodation is all free and part of the job along with 10 hours each day of pay :laughing-rolling:

Gotta say this shutdown is gunna be a classic where quite a few guys won't start on Monday as all these inductions and E-learning is way too much for a two week shutdown but eh if we are being paid who cares.

Well to keep our good health the local pub has put on a courtesy bus with a free beer when we show our room key card :obscene-drinkingchug: So gotta say it's a hard life doing shutdowns :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Also found out today Sparkling ale is the same price as back home so just gotta always have a 6 pack in my fridge

Cheers Bryan
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby harold01 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:31 pm

Bryan
I didn't think I would ever here you say that you said you actually drank xxxx which would of been the freebie
harold01
Site Donor

equipment: 4'' reflux

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:46 pm

Well the wifi here just sucks and yesterday when i had to go for my medical I spend ages using the free wifi to get this laptop updated but got there in the end :handgestures-thumbupleft: all free of course. :laughing-rolling:

Well tomorrow I'll finish all those inductions and elearning so went and bought a usb cable and may aswell use that 40 gig I get on my mobile each month to provide a solid net presence.

As far as drinking xxxx it may just be on the cards well as there are quite a few banana benders here and it would be bad not to take an offered beer :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby The Stig » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:34 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:As far as drinking xxxx

Even us QLDers dont drink 4x, we leave that to the visitors who dont know any better :dance:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:18 am

Early start as stripping 170 litres of BWKO. First 42 litres almost done. I will wait and see how hot it gets or how well energised I am, before I decide to do 3 or 4 runs today. If I do it all today that means tomorrow is free for house chores and that just sounds like a mistake :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:11 am

Well hard life up here :laughing-rolling: just finished off a heap of king prawns and got a couple of lobsters in the fridge for lunch :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The shutdown crew has nearly halved with a heap failing the drug test :scared-eek: I mean what fly all the way out here only to get blacklisted doesn't make sense but then again with the genX and genY nothing surprises me just how useless they can be :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

The guy's are chucking on a bbq this arvo and a few slabs on ice and NO XXXX won't get chilled :laughing-rolling: Got a slab of Great Northern in my fridge as the bottlo didn't have Pale Ale :angry-banghead:

To say this is a balls up doesn't surprise me as here we 2 days out and 90% of those who stayed still doesn't have the cardex card so we all can't start on Monday until all the medicals come thru :laughing-rolling:

Gave a few guy's a taste of my hipflask an to see their faces light up where all of them said this is the best moonshine they have ever tasted :laughing-rolling: Also got about 3 fingers of Captain Morgan tropical rum with mango and pineapple :puke-huge: so some genX guy can have that one :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby BigRig » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:45 am

Put down my first washes for the season. 180L of Tpw
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby MattSmith » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:13 pm

After my all-grain (ish) scorching disaster of a couple weeks ago I finally got around to cleaning the boiler and still yesterday. Was still worried about a burnt smell ruining future runs so I made use of the sac run output (plus some other fores) that I kept from when I first got the still back in Feb this year and ran it through. Came out fine so today I'm doing the spirit run of 30lt of Appalachian sweet mash low wines (what I collected before the last strip scorched to hell).
MattSmith
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 50L Milk Can
FSD 4" pot (3" PC) with packed section & RC
Still Spirits Air Still

Postby Wellsy » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:08 am

Another weekend another stripping run of BWKO.
Wellsy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:15 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well a donger in Mt Isa is my shed for a few more nights then back in SA at 9.55pm Sunday night :scared-eek: Well the average temp up here is 40C and decided to take a look at the ABC where it said for Kanamantoo 14C and feels like 12C :scared-eek:

Earlier this week got a text saying the choccy factory does want me for night shift and to entice me away from shutdowns $71.10 an hour i :scared-eek: s nothing to sneeze at :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Just think if they want me to work the weekend I may be earning close to what the Stig makes :laughing-rolling:

Now all this depends on SWWBO who did say say her blood pressure went from critical to normal while i'm away where I said well if you stop having a go at me at every moment your blood pressure won't go the roof :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Needdless to say not a word was spoken for a week after that comment but when she did answer it was for money :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby bluc » Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:13 pm

Ruddy enjoy i was born there enjoy :laughing-rolling:
Last edited by bluc on Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:12 pm

Well guy's back home and got home at just after 11pm last night, felt like a dose off a T-500 using turdo had hit me when I woke up :scared-eek: but after a 3 hour chat with Crow and quite a few drams of my whisky I feel a heap better :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Well 3 weeks of 40C + heat is gone and dusted and 8K in the bank :handgestures-thumbupleft: those days are gone as on Wednesday I start at a chocolate factory for the rest of the week to get to know the plant then onto the graveyard shift where I belong :laughing-rolling: eh at $71.10 an hour it is worth rolling the night away.

So the best way I do feel to get over the fatigue of doing 12 hour shifts with a full face mask on in 40C heat with humidity that drips making a well in the mask that needed draining every 15 minutes :angry-banghead:

Is basically having a few drams and some longnecks to counter this something called fatigue :laughing-rolling:

Left that weetbix wash to do it own thing as it did seem stuck on 1030 and found today it's down to 1010 :handgestures-thumbupleft: so a few more weeks to go before this is ready. Well with Adelaide Hills temps not surprising it takes so long :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Wellsy » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:16 am

stripping 160 litres of BWKO. will get the last generation started this weekend then shut down for the summer months, yes i am soft and dont want to sit in the shed when it is 40 degrees as this is meant to be fun and relaxing.

got about 200 ltrs of low wines so will have a few spirit runs to do on those cooler days when they turn up :)
Wellsy

Postby hjubm2 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:02 pm

After work today picked up some barrels... ended up with 8 barrels ranging in size from about 150L or so up to 300L, with 4 or 5 of them being ex-Archie Rose whiskey barrels... ... ... should keep me going for awhile :laughing-rolling:
hjubm2

equipment: 130L Jacketed Boiler w 4" Pot Still, 4" Glass Bubbler

Postby harold01 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:02 pm

Only 30 ferments with that big milk tank you have should fill them
harold01
Site Donor

equipment: 4'' reflux

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit