In The Shed Today

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: In The Shed Today

Postby Wellsy » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:39 am

When do you start buy sugar by the pallet and how much cheaper is it lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby hjubm2 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:55 am

Already buying sugar by the 25kg bag so pallet wouldn't be a huge stepup haha no cheaper (up to about $30/bag atm) but a lot easier to handle... ... ... malt by the bulka bag though is a different story :laughing-rolling:
hjubm2

equipment: 130L Jacketed Boiler w 4" Pot Still, 4" Glass Bubbler

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:10 pm

G'Day Guy's,
Well finished the last night shift for the year and don't go back until new years day night shift so time for some fun :laughing-rolling: :obscene-drinkingchug:

Got a 6 pack of Sparkling ale in my shed fridge keeping company with the last of my lager and real ale and the fridge may just get a birthday with a slab of sparkling ale this xmas :laughing-rolling:

A few weeks ago scored 3.4Kw of solar for $1,100 :handgestures-thumbupleft: then splurged out $600 for a 100 metre roll of 4mm solar cable and 5 packs of MC-4 connectors along with the crimping tool so i make my own cables.

Had a look at commercial MTTP's and decided I'm just better off making my own so got all the electronic parts for making 2 of them, gotta get busy with my heat gun to liberate a bunch of caps to use and this time I bought some 100 amp fets as one of those 30 amp fets did let me join the blown fet club :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Got a homebrew of sparkling ale to bottle this weekend so it will be interesting to see how it compares with the real thing. 8-}

So let the fun begin...

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:10 pm

While sipping on a sparkling ale I did get the urge to get the second inductor made for those 2 MPPT's I'm making, just like distilling if one can make a still when working with copper it is an addiction :teasing-tease:

20231222_180649.jpg

Now after the second sparkling ale time to go grab the heat gun and liberate about 20 capacitors off a few circuit boards and after that I may just have to decant a bottle of my barely/rye whisky that been aging now for quite a few months. The soldering part can get done after a few caffines in the morning and hopefully I'll be testing both of them on my shed array this weekend. Then the fun will start sober of course :laughing-rolling: getting the roof to mount the solar panel mounts.

Cheers Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby BigRig » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:49 pm

Bottling a tonne of 3yr old rum, bwko and 2 yr old All grain for xmas.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby harold01 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:09 pm

big day today, ran 45L of AG, put down 60L AG sugarhead, put down another 60L AG and bottled some rum
harold01
Site Donor

equipment: 4'' reflux

Postby Beerswimmer » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:54 pm

I have been a bit busy lately. Learned a lot. My rice whiskey that I made in August is a real bummer. There's nothing wrong with it, just very plain like a vodka. I put 20L in a barrel and the spirit from it tastes like barrel and maybe a hint of rice. Or a severely watered down whiskey with no character. If I was to make it again, and I probably will, I would not sour mash and treat it like vodka. I'd also make a small ferment just to blend with the spirit. The blackberry shnapps was a bad failure. Putting the whole, but blended, berries into the thumper caused the more tannic flavors to dominate. White, and aged in jars on sticks, taste more of the leaves and branches and roots than the berry. Need to read more about fruits.

Since the rice I have been fermenting and stripping to make rum. A high ester rum. The washes were 25 kilos of brown sugar and 4L of blackstrap. The first wash was enough water to fill to the 113L mark. After the first strip I used 38L of dunder and water to fill. I kept the first 3-7 L of higher proof strip from all 5 strips in their own container to keep them separate, they went into the thumper and a few cups of sulfuric acid was added right before distilling. I used the heads & tails of my DOK that I kept for a few years sealed up and put into the pot on the final distillation with the low wines. Big bright powerful esters! This is no DOK, but damn it's not too far off. I split this with my neighbor that paid for half of the ingredients and propane, we each ended up with 24.6L @ 85%. I just filled a BadMo @ 65%, currently soaking a 20L barrel that previously held Chocolate Sundae bourbon, and then DOK. Thinking about using red wine instead of water to proof it down for that. The rest I'll keep white!
Last edited by Beerswimmer on Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beerswimmer

equipment: Pot only!!

Postby MattSmith » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:10 pm

I squeezed 55ish litres of feints into my 50lt milk can this morning and I'm currently pushing it through a 500mm packed section with the RC on full. Coming out at 93%

I'm interested to see just how neutral it will turn out.
MattSmith
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 50L Milk Can
FSD 4" pot (3" PC) with packed section & RC
Still Spirits Air Still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:20 am

Well yesterday finished my last night shift for the week :handgestures-thumbupleft: and decided I had that much going in my head going down for rest wasn't on the cards :scared-eek: so a couple of drams of my Barely/Rye Whisky got the day started :laughing-rolling: Went in and paid the council and did some shopping then when I got home washed 32 longnecks as my lager was over ready for bottling :scared-eek:
While the bottles were drying in the sun to sterilize decided the mullet had to go :scared-eek: as I do have to wear a hair net at work and that mullet did need taming :laughing-rolling: so off to find a clip joint and on the third shop finally got a booking. So went under the clip and got half a doz Pale Ale longnecks and a bag of ice for the Friday night drinks :obscene-drinkingchug:

Well got the 32 longnecks bottled and all of them just fitted into my shed bar fridge :handgestures-thumbupleft: so for the next 2 weeks they can sit at 2C for the second fermentation and get lagered :handgestures-thumbupleft: well after that and one longneck it was clear this body was burnt out so crashed about 4pm :scared-eek: woke up around 2am had a smoke and few drams then crashed again ready for another big day.

Gotta wash a few stubbies to finish off bottling and I'll use them as a control as the stubbies won't be lagared :handgestures-thumbupleft: then time get some clean fermenters and put down both 60 litre fermenters with some TPW to continue my 4 plate stripping for that 45 litre spirit run I'm gearing up for. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Puk » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:29 am

Was about to put down to 27l MacStill Whisky washes, but with 2x 40 degree days forecast for the next week i reckon i will hold off for a few weeks until hopefully we are past the worst of the crazy weather.

so i changed the Fuel filter on the young bloke's first car instead. (VT commodore) and am going to sample my Nutri-Grain whisky later in the day that has been on oak for about 2 months now and see how it is coming along. :) (and maybe my MacStill rum that is about 3 weeks old) :dance:

Puk
Puk

equipment: 50l keg boiler (2x 2400w 5 star elements , 4" fill port, 3/4" removeable drain and ball valve)
Alcoengine pot still

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:44 pm

Bit of a clean up day and organising what grains i have left. I discovered 60 kgs of corn and 60 of barley i forgot i had lol.
A messy sherd is the gift that just keeps on giving lol.

Might be time to do some research on that malt muncher 24v grinder. I am not sure the drill is up to all the corn i found. With this heat it would be a good time to get a couple of 200 litre angel yeast brews on the go.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby hjubm2 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:52 pm

Starting about 320L of FFV... hopefully be done/enough to distill next weekend... need the drums empty to start another batch :laughing-rolling:
hjubm2

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:02 pm

if and when we ever catch up HJ I must have a chat about the advantages of a jacket boiler and the flavour difference it can potentially make.

Also need to know how many aluminium cans you needed to cash in to pay for it :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:21 pm

Wellsy wrote:
Also need to know how many aluminium cans you needed to cash in to pay for it :laughing-rolling:

In my case if my inverter won't take the load I just make a bigger inverter :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:57 pm

The new maltziller grinder arrived so testing it today.
Ground 20kg of corn and 10kg of both wheat and barley. with this warm weather now is the time to tray another Angel Yeast BWKO.
Last time it was 100% Corn. Lets see how this lot turns out in 2 years :)
Wellsy

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:04 pm

Maltzilla had a couple of feeding issues but crunched through the corn without to much fuss.
Ground up 40 kg of corn , 20 kg of wheat, and 20 kg of barley without to much fuss at all.
I will get a couple of angel washes in to use up the yeast I have that is getting older.
Wellsy

Postby harold01 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:12 pm

how long did it take to grind the 80 kg of grain and how fine was the grind
harold01
Site Donor

equipment: 4'' reflux

Postby kaboomxyu » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:40 pm

Im also interested on why you chose the Maltzilla over something like the Ebay electric mills. It might be something I'd look at buying in the future and would value your input / experience Wellsy
kaboomxyu

equipment: 50L milk can boiler. 5 x 4" bubble plates. 4" x 500mm packed section. Carter head. 2x3600w elements, Still Spirits Airstill

Postby Wellsy » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:03 pm

Harold I recon it too about 2 or 3 hours,I was doing it while heating up water so i was not in a super rush. Corn I had to keep adjusting the gap a whisker (wider and narrower ) to keep it feeding. Maybe doing a couple of passes would worth that issue out. Barley and wheat was no problems at all and I think I could get it to powder if need be.
I lashed out and got the 24 volt transformer for it rather than the battery terminal adapter. The hopper says it will hold 7 kg but I reckon they are dreaming or filling it to spilling.

Kaboom I chose this one rather than an unknown unproven eBay option because I value after sales service more than cheapest price. Why that one, simply because 5 star don’t sell one :)
Wellsy

Postby hjubm2 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:27 pm

Distilling an Agave syrup wash atm. I was warned that Agave syrup can take awhile to ferment out, it ended up taking about 1.5 days to get down to a final gravity 1.003... if this is slow fermenting I'd hate to see what the fast fermenting stuff is like :laughing-rolling:
hjubm2

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit