Mango brandy help

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: Mango brandy help

Postby Wobblyboot » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:13 pm

Asking questions is how we learn :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Have been looking into pectinase (as much as time allows at this time of year) and still undecided on it. Has anyone else been using it? I don't get any hangovers from what iv made and that should mean I'm doing something right, as methanol is meant to give a horrible headache or worse. I do regular air anything I make because I think that it gets rid of the higher nasties through evaporation :-B has anyone else researched that?
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby EziTasting » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:15 pm

Wow, winemakers use Pectinase to gain more colour, juice volume ANDvflavour; BUT they state it makes MORE methanol, not less!
http://winemakersacademy.com/pectic-enzymes-wine/

Guess we need to watch our cuts...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Wobblyboot » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:19 pm

Cuts don't help as iv read that it comes out all way through run, more at start tho. I'm wondering if it's only in small amounts anyway and isn't a cause for concern as the cure for methanol poisoning is ethanol (that is on the WHO website)
Has anyone looked into this before?
Wobblyboot

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:16 pm

What do you mean, 'cuts don't help'

Methanol has a lower boiling point than Ethanol, make your cuts right and you'll catch *most* of it in the fores and heads, especially with a bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Sam. » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:10 pm

I think part of the problem is that we use the term "methanol" as a descriptor for all the lighter alcohols.

Cuts will seperate these lighter alchols very well even if there are trace amounts of methanol through the run.

Like pointed out in much discussion in another thread there are more benign things with methanol in it like orange juice.

And it would appear pectinase will increase methanol production so I would avoid its use and I would also be doing cuts!

Also just like to clarify for newbies reading this that we are only concerned about fruit washes here, your normal sugar head washes will have that little methanol in it you don't need to be worried about it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:17 pm

'just bought some for my next fruit wash, should have done a bit more research first, thanks Ezi :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Wobblyboot » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:28 pm

Methanol has a lower boiling point than Ethanol, make your cuts right and you'll catch *most* of it in the fores and heads, especially with a bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft:

That's what I thought, so if our bubblers separate the fractions better and with harsh cuts, why shouldn't we use pectinese if it gives us more flavor in our hearts?
Last edited by Sam. on Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
Wobblyboot

Postby coffe addict » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:21 pm

Wb I think I'm leaning towards your thoughts on this. Using pectinase with good cuts and very slow take off prior to the hearts should see that methanol content is way below safe levels. Brandies and schnapps have been made for a very long time and when attention and care is taken by someone who has enough experience/knowledge the levels are safe.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:22 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:]Methanol has a lower boiling point than Ethanol, make your cuts right and you'll catch *most* of it in the fores and heads, especially with a bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft:

That's what I thought, so if our bubblers separate the fractions better and with harsh cuts, why shouldn't we use pectinese if it gives us more flavor in our hearts?[/quote]
I haven't used pectinase yet, my fruit brandies have been great so far, reckon Ill just leave it out :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Sam. » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:02 pm

There is evidence that methanol is quite good at attaching itself to what is in your boiler and not all coming off at the lower boiling point, having said this I still believe most of it will be gone at the start.

Pectinase will produce more ethanol and more methanol, either way unless your continually recycling your fores/heads on fruit brandies I highly doubt you would ever get anywhere near a dangerous level.

Again I want to stress this is only concerning fruit based washes not the sugar heads you will find in the tried and proven section ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby coffe addict » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:11 pm

With you there Sam.

I honestly think that fruit washes shouldn't be attempted by beginners and when done right pose very little to be concerned about.
I've never recycled fores/heads but always tails. All the headaches are come out first why would you consume them.
But back on topic has anyone done side by side mango washes with and without peel to see the effect on the brandy....
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements

Postby EziTasting » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:57 am

So ... nearly 12 months on and I have a butt-load of mangoes from our tree :dance: :dance: very happy-chappy!

So to refresh my memory, I've re-read the posts on mangoes on this forum: Clearing Mango Pulp, Mangos and Mango Wash... getting things in place while the rest half of the tree is slowly ripening the other half of the fruit.

Have to fight the Missuss for every fruit :violence-smack: dang-it! Oh and this pesky fruit-bats and cockatoos; sometimes I wish I had a .22 Air Rifle to sort them out!! :teasing-nutkick:

... and now my flaming Rotti pup has taken a liking to them also!!!! :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: WhiskyTangoFoxtrot?!?! Can't even leave them in a box on the bench...

ANYHOO. from the following post, Pectinase was mentioned as a SUITABLE and DESIRABLE additive in the production of Mango wine/spirit:-

Subject: Mango Wash

phir3 wrote:ABSTRACT
Scope for producing ethanol from the surplus and non-attractive mango (Mangifera indica) fruits was investigated. Six varieties of mango that are abundantly occurring in the region were selected for the study and the physico-chemical properties of mango was evaluated. The mango juice from selected varieties contained 18-20% Total Soluble Solids (TSS) and 5-18.5% of reducing sugars. Finally 8.5-10% (w/v) of ethanol was obtained from the fermentations which were conducted without adding any nutrients. The fermentation was completed within 72 h in all variety juices. Fermentation process optimized and pH 5.0, 30°C temperature, 3% (v/v) inoculum density and 3 days incubation was found be good for maximal ethanol production from mango juice.

CONCLUSIONS

Pectinolytic enzyme treatment is required to obtain high yield of juice from mango pulp. Fermentability also increased significantly with pectinase treatment. Banginapally variety is giving high ethanol compared to all other varieties. Fermentation conditions are also optimized and the selected yeast stain, Sachharomyces cerevisiae 101 is very much suitable for ethanol production from mango fruit juice. Using waste mangoes for ethanol production appears very promising. Ethanol yield (on a dry weight basis) from mangoes is higher than from most other agricultural wastes. The mangoes which, currently treated as a waste and as such, represent a very low cost feedstock. They ferment well and have a high carbohydrate concentration. Waste mangoes are already collected at packing areas and therefore transportation/harvesting costs will be minimal. No need of water for dilution and fermentation results in some what high concentration beer that would minimize distillation energy costs. Finally we conclude that mangoes are very important choicest fruits in India and an attempt to use this fruit in ethanol production would contribute considerably to the economy of the Indian as well as international mango producers.

They got it from this website which seems to confirm some of the above discussion... but it is still up to the individual as to how they wish to proceed!

We've got some pectinase and I intend on using it. Perhaps next time I won't so I can then do a comparison!

I have 220L & 60L Fvs, depending on how much fruit I can accumulate will determine which I use. Thanks go to Wobblyboot for his personal discussions on his workings with fruit and all contributors to this forum as I am keen as, bro to have a go at this.

Will attempt to take comprehensive notes (for repeatability & comparison for next time) so I can share with the Fold, those that do mashes of Mango can then comment and we can, hopefully, draw some more conclusive directions to the issues discussed above.

Fingers Crossed this works out!
EziTasting

Postby EziTasting » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:15 pm

HNY Peeps.

All the Christmas lights are put away for another year; tonnes have been filed under 'S' for Sulo Bin! I can now walk back into my garden closet (erm shed) and see the floor...

So, last Saturday, Bugburner and I got into our 2 AGs running them on 3 plates (usually do 4 but wanted to see the difference) - must say it behaved quite differently to the normal 4 plates (as in it didn't get the usual ABV, didn't hold the ABV in the same manner but heads and tails are far more agreeable to the nose and tastebuds... :think: ).

TODAY I get into the mangos, plan is, as before, to strip the flesh and juices from the seeds (messy business) after freezing the mangos. Half way there (actually thought I'd finished, but I found more) so just waiting on them to defrost... So far its a third of a 60L FV, not too shabby. Once they're all stripped of the stone I will top up the FV to cover the mangos, put our paint-mixer thru it with gusto, hopefully without making a mess and I will add the Pectinase and re-blend it (for additional aeration) before pitching the newly acquired EC 1118 yeasty-boyz :music-deathmetal:

Our daytime temps rise to 40+ degrees by 9:30-10ish so I'll have to pop the FV back into the house so it, too, can enjoy the horrendous costs of our AC system... not sure how long this will take to ferment out, but it'll stay there until I am ready to run it....

I've noticed that our AGs settled out nicely and became very clear the longer we left them alone (like nearly a month each) - almost wished that all our FVs had 2 taps, one right down low to extract the yeast cake and bits from the bottom and one above so we can drain the beer with out having so much yeast mixed in with it... Syphoning is good, but theres always that last little bit of wash that get muddied ~x(

Anyhoo, off topic! See if I get the chance to report back later. Have a great day, all.
EziTasting

Postby bluc » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:03 pm

I thought pectinase was to help break down pectin and help ferementation and to lower methanol production :think:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby bluc » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:06 pm

coffe addict wrote:With you there Sam.

I honestly think that fruit washes shouldn't be attempted by beginners and when done right pose very little to be concerned about.
I've never recycled fores/heads but always tails. All the headaches are come out first why would you consume them.
But back on topic has anyone done side by side mango washes with and without peel to see the effect on the brandy....

Any tips on safe fruit brewing? I have an itch that needs to be scratched with banana and apple seperate fermantations..I have heard doubling the fores cut is the way to go...
bluc
Site Donor

Postby EziTasting » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:29 pm

Hey bluc,
It’s my first attempt so won’t know until I run it. I will do cuts (it’s a bloody good habit) and see! Each different wash has its own unique little tweaks but if you don’t have a go you’ll never learn anything! Will be doing the cut selections of our 2 AGs tonight to see what we keep!

I will agree, tho, that newbies should perfect one or more of the sugar heads first, just to get a feel for their equipment and how these behave! Wish I would have listened to that piece of advice at the beginning!

Things seem easier now, more predictable so I’m better equipped to try new things.... :laughing-rolling: sorry, couldn’t keep a straight face on that line of BS.... :laughing-rolling:

Banana sounds interesting tho!!

As for fores, I’m trying my nose and taste buds (while doing cuts still by goo me, don’t quite trust myself yet!) which will make that obvious, I would think! For someone with your name perience, picking fores should be relatively simple!?!?
EziTasting

Postby bluc » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:22 pm

Fores doesnt touch my lips or nose. I start tasting at late heads..but its handy to know an approx. I think I will go with the double the fores cut :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby EziTasting » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:57 pm

bluc wrote:Fores doesnt touch my lips or nose. I start tasting at late heads..but its handy to know an approx. I think I will go with the double the fores cut :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Can’t hurt! Worse case scenario you throw out early my heads!

PS: I don’t taste fores either! But I find it easy to sniff them out now!
EziTasting

Postby coffe addict » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:00 pm

Hey bluc, crow is the man on fruit his knowledge is far beyond mine.
From memory he doubles his fore cuts then business as usual.
I've had very limited experience a cpl failed/infected washes and 100L ish I made into cider. The cider is terrible and I plan to run for brandy just haven't got there yet.
I think dbv did a mango rum but not 100% mango
coffe addict

Postby bluc » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:02 pm

Cheers coffee :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit