Mapp Shortage

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Mapp Shortage

Postby olddog » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:28 pm

I just had one joint to hard solder when my gas bottle expired. I went to the plumbers merchant to be told that all Mapp gas had been recalled. I checked with a couple of more merchants only to be told the same. Bummer :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

OD
olddog

equipment: Flute Mk 11 4 plate column with single 2" bubble caps

Re: Mapp Shortage

Postby maheel » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:46 pm

maybe this is still going on ?

Rothenberger Australia Pty Ltd—“Rothenberger” and “Super Ego” Brand MAP/Pro Gas Cylinder RECALL

http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=923&p=10483&hilit=rothenberger#p10483

and effecting other brands and makes ?

what brand you using OD ?
maheel

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:14 pm

If you get stuck I have half a bottle left here, or if you bring your work piece you can use my oxy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby olddog » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:10 pm

I managed to get a bottle of bernzomatic from Bunnings, the last one. But it was less than half the size I get from a plumbers merchant and twice the price.

OD
olddog

equipment: Flute Mk 11 4 plate column with single 2" bubble caps

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:08 pm

Hey Mac,you've been using a LPG torch haven't you? How does itstack up against acetylene? Never had much to do with it although I do see quite a few of the scrap yard use it for cutting the bigger steel,can't see it being as hot as acetylene,which in this game wouldn't be such a bad thing I spose
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:21 pm

Works great Don :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Kimbo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:48 pm

Big Don wrote:Hey Mac,you've been using a LPG torch haven't you? How does itstack up against acetylene? Never had much to do with it although I do see quite a few of the scrap yard use it for cutting the bigger steel,can't see it being as hot as acetylene,which in this game wouldn't be such a bad thing I spose

from my understanding, the Acetylene/LPG only produce the flame but the oxygen supports the flame i.e. the more O2 you put into it the better the flame- think black smiths pumping their bellows :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:48 pm

What was the recall for? Got a full bottle in the shed :doh:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby maheel » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:49 pm

The defect will result in leakage of gas from the cylinder, creating a risk of fire or explosion.
What are the defects?

Complete shut-off of the cylinder valve may be delayed for some minutes following removal of hand/brazing torch from the cylinder.
maheel

Postby R-sole » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:19 am

Big Don wrote:Hey Mac,you've been using a LPG torch haven't you? How does itstack up against acetylene? Never had much to do with it although I do see quite a few of the scrap yard use it for cutting the bigger steel,can't see it being as hot as acetylene,which in this game wouldn't be such a bad thing I spose

I use both. Acetylene seems to be a finer flame and probably better for more delicate work. It's also less fussy on pressures. I've found that lpg needs to be set around 130-150 psi to be any good.
Also prefer acetelene in windy conditions, lpg blows out.

The bottle rental is a big deal though, and the availability on w'ends. (doesn't help if your oxy runs out)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Return to The Dunder Pit