Dunder pit question

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Dunder pit question

Postby Fishleg » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:23 pm

Got a nice stanky dunder pit going in a 20l hdpe cube, it really does smell horrible. SWMBO is up me about it coz is just inside the front gate and she gets a whiff of it every time she gets home :violence-stickwhack:

Anyway I've got 40ish litres of rum low wines ready for spirit run next weekend. Should I be adding just the liquid from the pit? or should I also be adding part of the filthy 1 inch thick cap that is on there as well? And suggested amounts? From anyone who has done this before?
Fishleg

equipment: FSD neutraliser with 85 litre keg boiler

Re: Dunder pit question

Postby EziTasting » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:38 pm

Defs no solids!

But there are a plethora of posts and threads on this forum that discuss the use and fragrances of dunder-pits in much much more detail. Have a search in the "Search Ours Site" above the green smiley face... you'll be busy for days reading it all!

Have fun, it really is a fascinating subject!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Fishleg » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:53 pm

Cheers, yeah I've been reading a fair bit about it on this and other forums. It's a funny subject coz there seems to be a lot of variation in opinions about how to cultivate and use live dunder.

You're not wrong though, it's a fascinating process and there's no shortage of material to read on it.
Fishleg

Postby EziTasting » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:00 pm

Fishleg wrote:Cheers, yeah I've been reading a fair bit about it on this and other forums. It's a funny subject coz there seems to be a lot of variation in opinions about how to cultivate and use live dunder.

You're not wrong though, it's a fascinating process and there's no shortage of material to read on it.

Most of the for and against has to do with being assured of using the 'proper' bugs... and because it can't be assured some refuse to do it... I had a crack but its too hot where I live so I have not been very successful (1 went really really well the second made NO difference). So you could make something really good or something less palatable...

But rest assured, the only solids you should transfer EVER are the bits you WANT to ferment!!! everything else is rubbish and should be avoided otherwise .... :puke-huge:
Last edited by EziTasting on Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Fishleg » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:34 pm

ATM just looking at using it in spirit run AFTER fermentation and stripping. But keen on the future to have a go at using it in fermentation too. I read the whole article that bluc provided the link for the other week and found it very interesting.
Fishleg

Return to The Dunder Pit