Winter's here - heating issue

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Winter's here - heating issue

Postby tassiespirit » Sat May 19, 2018 4:32 pm

Hi guys, want some input about bio fuel / ethanol heaters - not the burners you put on a table.

I am looking at heating a 42 sq mtr shed ( still not insulated except for the roof). I came across Black and Stone Ethanol fireplaces , and being a recycler wanting to recycle my fores etc and other things as I have started to look at these for my shed. http://www.blackandstone.com.au/vioflam ... v_BzO6FOM8.

Can you make, or how do you make gel version of ethanol to slow down the burning process - is it possible for home use too dangerous? The other option I have seen, which is easier is a ceramic sponge that can be inserted into the holding tank, which you can cut to size ( also found on Ebay in the UK). :think:

Any thoughts on these, or anything better, as I am starting to get cold here in good old Tassie; last year it sucked using an old kero heater and with the window cracked open ( not the best).
Also, not really looking to go into chopping wood at my age ( over 60 ish) and with heart issues , yes, a well spent youth, or bad lol. so , please guys any options if the above; thanks everyone.

Allan
tassiespirit

equipment: Got a small reflux, need to sort things out for a Pot style as well.

Re: Winter's here - heating issue

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat May 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Hi Tassie,
I would stay away from those products as they are an accident just waiting to happen. Just install a wood heater and put some computer fans on it to distribute the air around.

I've got an old schooner wood heater in my shed with a few computer fans and when it's 5C outside I;m toasty warm the shed.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby tassiespirit » Sat May 19, 2018 5:28 pm

Bryan1 wrote:Hi Tassie,
I would stay away from those products as they are an accident just waiting to happen. Just install a wood heater and put some computer fans on it to distribute the air around.

I've got an old schooner wood heater in my shed with a few computer fans and when it's 5C outside I;m toasty warm the shed.

Cheers Bryan

That's a good view, but I just don't know enough, that is why I ask questions first. Thanks Bryan.

Just the issue with wood heaters is the classical chopping wood and carting it around, but I have issues with 5 stents in my heart. At the end of the month I have to go back to surgeon again to track down my current problems. So, I am trying to look at something different than a wood heater.

Even a sump oil burner or rocket heater of some sort that takes smaller wood etc.; but again, I don't know anyone that uses these.
tassiespirit

Postby Clubby » Sat May 19, 2018 5:47 pm

I have just bought a house, with a 3 burner Ethanol fireplace in it. I will be ripping it out as soon as possible. Doesn't really heat the house and uses so much ethanol. Plus i don't like the idea of storing 100's of litres of high ABV ethanol for winter.
Clubby

equipment: FSD 50L milk can boiler, Neutralizer 5 plate, blockhead tee and a Gin Caddy. 2 x 2400 elements.

Turbo 500, an old 2" pot, too suit a T500 boiler collecting dust

Postby tassiespirit » Sat May 19, 2018 6:05 pm

Clubby wrote:I have just bought a house, with a 3 burner Ethanol fireplace in it. I will be ripping it out as soon as possible. Doesn't really heat the house and uses so much ethanol. Plus i don't like the idea of storing 100's of litres of high ABV ethanol for winter.

Ok, thank you. If it don't heat , 1. it's no good , 2. If it's goes through my grog that much, if is definitely off the the table. I thought it would run on lower grade Bio-Ethanol anyway.

Some people already store 100's of litres anyway as backup for winter :laughing-rolling: for medicinal purposes. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Mmmmmm...... ok, stupid idea. Dump it!! :violence-smack:

Thanks Clubby
tassiespirit

Postby scythe » Sat May 19, 2018 10:01 pm

Look into wood pellet heaters.
Safety of wood, no chopping required.

www.pftas.com.au is one i found after a quick google.
I wouldnt mind giving one a go if i foud a local pellet supply.
Last edited by scythe on Sat May 19, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby A&O » Sun May 20, 2018 12:53 am

Try PMing Doctor, he runs ethanol burners at the distillery for warmth in the cooler times.
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby PeterC » Sun May 20, 2018 8:32 pm

I got the same issue in Perth. I need to build an insulated shed inside my shed as a work shop and to manage my ferments and was looking to get secondhand self-supporting cool room panels but for just heating in the shed when I am there I use an LPG gas patio heater like this. https://www.bunnings.com.au/fiammetta-s ... r_p3170507 They can chew through the gas but easier on the body than chopping wood (which I also do for our inside fireplace)
PeterC.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby warramungas » Sun May 20, 2018 10:27 pm

Alcohol is not a high heat output fuel. Burn enough of it maybe but to heat your shed you're going to go through HEAPS of it. More than your still can supply unless you're processing heaps of it.
Probably a small lpg outdoor heater or small wood stove (both with window cracked) as suggested would be better.
Those old kero heaters may stink but they tend to work really well.
The other option is to buy one of those window mounted reverse cycle a/c (or even a portable one) you can stick in a window or mount through the wall. Noisy but work an absolute treat. I've got an old 15amp one left over from a recent Reno I'm going to install when I've managed to scrape enough together to upgrade my shed size.
Last edited by warramungas on Sun May 20, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby TasSpirits » Sun May 20, 2018 11:52 pm

Id try build one of these, sawdust is easy to come by down here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj7X9X8LTe0 :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby the Doctor » Fri May 25, 2018 12:46 pm

I have 4 ethanol heaters and have found that if well designed they can be very efficient...there are some proviso's... The very best I have found are the eco-smart fires and the slovenian closed fires ( a bit like a traditional european wood heater in style)... they are expensive but this is an area where you should not look for cheap alternatives... many cheap ethanol fires are unsafe.... PM me if you want to talk about these fires.... Here is an "eco-smart Glow" on our tasting bar.
Doc

web-flame.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby wynnum1 » Fri May 25, 2018 1:25 pm

You could find someone interested in mining cryptocurrency seems they go through masses of electricity producing heat you supply the shed and they pay for the electricity a win win .
wynnum1

Postby warramungas » Fri May 25, 2018 5:40 pm

the Doctor wrote:I have 4 ethanol heaters and have found that if well designed they can be very efficient...there are some proviso's... The very best I have found are the eco-smart fires and the slovenian closed fires ( a bit like a traditional european wood heater in style)... they are expensive but this is an area where you should not look for cheap alternatives... many cheap ethanol fires are unsafe.... PM me if you want to talk about these fires.... Here is an "eco-smart Glow" on our tasting bar.
Doc

web-flame.jpg

How much juice do they chew through an hour (roughly) Doc and what sort of heat do they throw out?
Also, if you burn tails does your shed smell like wet cardboard? :))
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby bayshine » Fri May 25, 2018 6:28 pm

Mine gives a 7 hour burn for a two litre load . Has an adjustable lid that opens and closes to adjust flame size or to shut it down. Has what looks like some fire blanket rolled up as a wick. It burns well on fores and heads but late tales give of some bad fumes and not recommended. Got it from masters before they shut on special for a hundred and twenty bucks.works a treat for warming up the house, just have to remember to leave a window open a bit for some fresh air as it will slowly displace the oxygen :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby the Doctor » Sat May 26, 2018 7:25 am

warramungas wrote:
the Doctor wrote:I have 4 ethanol heaters and have found that if well designed they can be very efficient...there are some proviso's... The very best I have found are the eco-smart fires and the slovenian closed fires ( a bit like a traditional european wood heater in style)... they are expensive but this is an area where you should not look for cheap alternatives... many cheap ethanol fires are unsafe.... PM me if you want to talk about these fires.... Here is an "eco-smart Glow" on our tasting bar.
Doc

web-flame.jpg

How much juice do they chew through an hour (roughly) Doc and what sort of heat do they throw out?
Also, if you burn tails does your shed smell like wet cardboard? :))

As I said I have 4 heaters one is in a cast iron coal insert in an antique fireplace two are slovenian made closed fires like the one pictured below in my workshed the other is the ecosmart glow you saw in the last picture...the glow is claimed to do 33000btu an hour but I know nothing when it comes to heat ...but the glow is the most effective, on all but the coldest days it is our primary source of heat in the bar...it takes about 7 litres and burns for up to 6 hours...the slovenian stoves are not as hot but much safer around kids and dogs...they burn 2 litres in 4 hours and a quiet achievers when it comes to heat...not so hot but provide a pleasant base level of heating. The one in the cast iron coal insert is an ecosmart ab2 from memory and it is useless at heating...but awesomely pretty burning away in our kitchen...we duct the heat from the loungeroom heater (a woodburner) to empty near it to give the illusion that it is more effective than it really is...this one is for looks.
Cheers
Doc
web-fire.jpg
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby EziTasting » Sat May 26, 2018 8:04 am

TasSpirits wrote:Id try build one of these, sawdust is easy to come by down here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj7X9X8LTe0 :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thats pretty epic! quite simple really ...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Chris7231 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:46 am

IMG_0309_1.jpg
I don't know if this helps or not, but this is what I'm setting up for my 200L barrels...

I've got two 100W heater strips wrapped around some sheet metal, where the sheet metal has been ratchet-strapped to the barrel.
These are connected to a STC-1000, with the thermostat running down through the airlock tube, hanging about halfway down the wash.

Seems to do a surprisingly good job during winter - not so much for summer though...
Chris7231

equipment: Still Spirits reflux & alembic setups.

Postby bluc » Sat May 26, 2018 10:36 am

Looks like a good setup chris :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby EziTasting » Sat May 26, 2018 12:22 pm

I like that Chris, What type of FV is that?

Can't say I've ever seen such a container... I think you can further enhance the effect by putting an isolation layer around the outside of that...

Hahaha actually its funny that I am worried about winter, given where I live! But we are all rugged up now, at 18 degrees ... :laughing-rolling:
To be fair, it's less than half our summer time temps... :hand:
Last edited by EziTasting on Sat May 26, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Chris7231 » Sat May 26, 2018 12:26 pm

Thanks guys, I just thought it up when trying to figure out a way to stop the heat straps melting the plastic fermenters...

FV; do you mean fermenter vessel? If so, no idea, they were facebook marketplace specials. There's no branding or anything on them, but I've seen other ones on marketplace going for ~$10.

By isolation layer, do mean insulation? I was thinking of getting some natural wool insulation & wrapping them in that when it gets really cold.
Chris7231

equipment: Still Spirits reflux & alembic setups.

Next

Return to The Dunder Pit