QLD/NSW/SA Distillery tours?

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

QLD/NSW/SA Distillery tours?

Postby Matt_Pl » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:25 pm

G'day All,

I am looking for recommendations for distillery tours when I travel from Darwin to Canberra (via QLD) and down to SA and back to Darwin through the red centre.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where an amateur distiller should stop and visit?

Thanks Lads and Ladies!

Cheers,

Matt.
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Re: QLD/NSW/SA Distillery tours?

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:29 pm

The Saleyards distillery is pretty good here in rocky but doesn’t look like you’re coming this way.
There is Sunny Hills distillery in SA, they did an intro here not long ago. All FSD gear, definitely worth a visit imo :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Astro » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:40 pm

Black gate distillery in central west nsw worth a look, its been a while but i think there was a minimum for a tour. worth a call though
Astro

equipment: 2" pot and 2" bok on 50ltr elec keg boiler

Postby bluc » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:51 pm

Maybe doc's dobsons distillery (eastview estate)would be worth a visit, have heard good things and they have a resturant as well I think :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby db1979 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:57 pm

I'd give tambourine mountain distillery a miss, just a cellar door and no option for a tour as far as I could tell. Apparently they don't ferment on site, just flavour or re-distilll commercially bought neutral. I wasn't impressed with their Limoncello, no where near as good as the recipe on this site. I bought their choc mint liqueur, but it's still half full after about 4 years. The bloke was very vague with details and even suggested that home distillers could just register their stills with the ato and it'd all be sweet.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby The Stig » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:33 am

:text-+1: Tamborine Mountain Distillery absolute waste of time.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Matt_Pl » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:18 pm

Thanks for all the replies Gentlemen!

Greatly appreciated

Plew
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Postby Lowie » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:40 pm

You'll find not many of them ferment on-site (apart from Doc of course). I believe they buy their neutral in from wineries. I went t one in the Adelaide Hills and they wanted $30 to stand there listening to a bloke tell you how a pot still works. You can get all that info here...
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby the Doctor » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:50 am

If you are passing by Matt, let me know I will give you a personal tour if I can... we do make all our own spirit and process/ distil into the bottle on site. would be happy to show you around.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby Yurugaboy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:40 pm

the Doctor wrote:If you are passing by Matt, let me know I will give you a personal tour if I can... we do make all our own spirit and process/ distil into the bottle on site. would be happy to show you around.
Doc

Very lucky to visit Eastview today. The knowledge is bursting out of the Dr. Bought 2 versions of Whiskey and some tonic. Bought the fabulous Sweet Pea in Canberra .
Yurugaboy
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" 4 plate Blockhead Bubbler on a 50 l FSD milk can powered by 2x 2400w elements

Postby the Doctor » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:40 am

Yurugaboy wrote:
the Doctor wrote:If you are passing by Matt, let me know I will give you a personal tour if I can... we do make all our own spirit and process/ distil into the bottle on site. would be happy to show you around.
Doc

Very lucky to visit Eastview today. The knowledge is bursting out of the Dr. Bought 2 versions of Whiskey and some tonic. Bought the fabulous Sweet Pea in Canberra .

What a pleasure seeing you and the family. I do a lot of tours of the distillery, but it is so good when you have knowledgable distillers, it makes the tours more interesting for me, I get to ask questions for a change and learn about your set ups and methods. It was a good to meet at last, drop by anytime.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Return to The Dunder Pit