1 st TPW

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

1 st TPW

Postby Rock » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:56 pm

H there , :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I've just finished my first TPW, recipe obviously from this site ,
Originally put the wash down about a month ago, first week it ticked along fine, put into old fridge, (went away for 2 weeks ) came home to find it had stalled 14° , put a pet heater pad around the fermenter, and pack few blankets in the gaps, after a day it got going again, heat on and off ,turnedoff after4 days went away for a week then seen it stop and anther week it had cleared.
Was very impressed really and if i had control a few things it would have been quicker and thats really being a slack arse :obscene-drinkingchug: :snooty:

So today i ran it through my T500 2000w over 4 hrs ,
I collected 11 cuts and average 300ml per cut and last cut was 85%.
I keep the still at the lowest 47 to 49 ° for first 2 cuts (after foreshot 120ml) then sat at 52 for next 4 jars and up to 57 58 couple more ,
Finished about 3.3l of nuteral.
5 kg sugar.
Will check the cuts tomorrow, and then I've got enough to do a low wine run with head's n tails.

I'm sure I'll be repeating this TPW again.
Also can't wait until I aquire a new still, unsure what it will be, but likely a FSD and then a home build when son coes back east.
Enjoying a Dan berg OP rum now , just knowing it's going to improve :teasing-tease:
Rock

equipment: Turbo 500
FSD 4" x 5 plate bubble neutrilizer 600mm
Packed section.
50lt keg 2 x 2400 elements

Re: 1 st TPW

Postby hoddo59 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi Guys,

I also completed my first TPW run today being my first ever run. Recently purchased a 2nd hand T500 to have a play around with. 5kg sugar as per the recipe and got almost identical results to Rock.

150ml foreshots 37 degrees
10.5 300ml cuts most at about 48 degrees going up to mid 50s for the last 2 jars.
About 4 hours all up.

Having never tried judging the heads, hearts and tails, looking forward to what I end up with after deciding what to keep and what to rerun tomorrow. Thanks everyone for all the good advice on the forum. I'm off and running with my new hobby.

cheers all

TPW.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hoddo59

equipment: secondhand T500

Postby Rock » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:50 pm

Good stuff Hoddo , I'm pretty new to ,have done 8 turbo yeast washes, but i like this slow and easy TPW. Rekon it will be my go to wash now.
I'm still learning to taste cuts, but have been told a T500 will give you less taols as opposed to a pot still run , can be corrected on this
Rock

Packed section.

Postby Rock » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:53 pm

I also just spent some time at torbull , its a great area your in ,son just built in morayfield, so we be playing in his shed soon , hopefully on s build :D :-B
Rock

Packed section.

Postby Rock » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:58 pm

I was so going to buy those jars, but decided i did have a few clear stubbies and s :handgestures-s weapches mix bottle.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
:-B
Rock

Packed section.

Postby dans.brew » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:57 pm

Hey Rock :handgestures-thumbupleft:
If you want even cleaner neutral, run a few TPW washes through your still stripping each one of them and then put all the low wines together for a slow and steady spirit run.
Just make sure your abv is no higher than 40%
I wouldnt use a pot still for this wash, a reflux still is the go in order to tear all the flavour out of the wash. I always used my reflux for both stripping and spirit run... the more it goes through the packing the cleaner it should get.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Rock » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:12 pm

dans.brew wrote:Hey Rock :handgestures-thumbupleft:
If you want even cleaner neutral, run a few TPW washes through your still stripping each one of them and then put all the low wines together for a slow and steady spirit run.
Just make sure your abv is no higher than 40%
I wouldnt use a pot still for this wash, a reflux still is the go in order to tear all the flavour out of the wash. I always used my reflux for both stripping and spirit run... the more it goes through the packing the cleaner it should get.

Thanks for replying.
I'm keen to run my rejects from previous turbo washes, and appreciate the reminder re wash strength for wash .
I am keen to run a larger fementer one day with this TPW and probably the other cheap recipes, can save bucks for hardware that way :handgestures-thumbupleft:
It's great aiming for excellence, and being rewarded for your effort,
Bbq anyone :O) :liar:
Rock

Packed section.

Postby dans.brew » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:30 pm

Chasing quality spirit is what keeps this hobby evolving. Trying new recipes, brewing processes and new/updated equiptment keeps the conversations going as to what works/doesn't work.
Hence why there is so much to learn here!
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Birdman85 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:52 am

Can't wait to run this through.
Birdman85

equipment: 50L keg boiler, home made modular 2" pot still and CCVM.

Turbo500 (birthday gift)

Postby Rock » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:05 pm

Good stuff there birdman, it's amazing how it clears itself after fermention finishes.
I did 250ml cuts, and 150 ml foreshot.
1 discarded 500ml from the head's, trying to get the hang of tasting the cuts , I'm sure i need to perfect this ;-) , and i cut the last 500 ml from the tails.
I watered down my tasting shots to roughly 45% , ended up with 2lt of 92% ,
And after tasting, decided I'm going to run it through a carbon filter, others have indicated that i could rerun it again, due to using a T500, anyhow, it's got to be better than the first wash i did which I only took foreshot off.
Rock

Packed section.

Postby woodduck » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:58 am

I wasn't there and couldn't taste your cuts so this is just from my experience, 500ml off both ends probably wasn't enough. It's not gonna kill ya but you'll pick it up after a few runs. I work on, if in doubt throw it out. Remember your not loosing anything apart from the fores because you can throw the faints in the boiler with the next run. I would suggest cutting hard to begin with then as your nose gets better you can keep a bit more. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by woodduck on Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typo
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Rock » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:26 pm

woodduck wrote:I wasn't there and couldn't taste your cuts so this is just from my experience, 500ml off both ends probably wasn't enough. It's not gonna kill ya but you'll pick it up after a few runs. I work on, if in doubt throw it out. Remember your not loosing anything apart from the fores because you can throw the faints in the boiler with the next run. I would suggest cutting hard to begin with then as your nose gets better you can keep a bit more. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Good information .
I'm going to start double distiling but I will be tougher from here on
Rock

Packed section.

Return to The Dunder Pit