The Banter Box

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: The Banter Box

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:17 am

Having a look around this morning to see what kind of flavours I should be expecting from white dog cornflakes whiskey, and I came across this:

http://moonshine.com/index.php

Reckons they use 100% corn mash, distill it 4 times and then charcoal filter it... And still call it Whiskey? It'd be getting pretty close to neutral after all of that!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Andy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:08 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Reckons they use 100% corn mash, distill it 4 times and then charcoal filter it... And still call it Whiskey? It'd be getting pretty close to neutral after all of that!

drinking it white, they have to do something to make it taste good. also could distill 4 times, but be distilled in its own back-set or something to maintain flavours.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby djfrestyla » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:35 pm

I called in at the closest scrap merchant today in Canberra, as we drove up the driveway, I seen the copper bin overflowing.
We pulled up at the office, and old matey came out, looking into the bin, there were about 10 x 2m lengths of 4", and 2 X 2M lengths of 6" copper pipe, all new (offcuts), I near pooped in my pants.
Then old matey, tells me that he is not selling copper anymore, as he has a direct sale to Sydney.
WTF !, I pleaded with him to sell me some, but he refused :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :violence-smack: :angry-screaming: nothing worked, I felt like picking the old prick up and dumping him in the scrap bin.
Last edited by Kimbo on Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: just made a sentence a little more user friendly
djfrestyla

equipment: Nixon Stone, Valve reflux on a 55L electric keg (retired)
2"Pot Still (retired)
4"Copper Bubbler, W/Lava Packed section.

Postby adam89 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:51 am

Well I've got my tickets sorted. Flying back to Perth in a couple days. My short trip to Scotland has resulted in a 4 month backpacking adventure through Europe.

I'm looking forward to getting home and unpacking my new (for me) bubbler. It will be a great Christmas present to my self. Now i need to find a job, but until then it will be learning to run my new rig and finishing a couple projects that are 50% done.. At least my BWKO and Rum has had a chance to age.
adam89

equipment: 2" Pot Still (Mac Built)
4" 5 Plate Modular Copper Bubbler (Mac Built)
50L Boiler on Gas
50L Boiler with 2x2400W element

Postby iamskippy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:17 pm

Limoncella.
here is a mathematical equation, it is written in French, so Acool = alcohol, d'eau = water, de sucre = sugar.
I would like to know how this equation works (the reasoning behind it) so I can see what he is doing.
He has 95 over 34,065 which equates to 2.79 litres, then below in the box he has 1,79. Has he made a simple mistake and should have put 2.79 litres.
These figures in the lower box indicate to me that they are the figures for making Limoncello.
Any help here would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Allan
686d4732-9189-4a85-942f-d21637941083_zps79a07a14.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iamskippy

equipment: As yet, I know nothing and have nothing for distilling.
I would like to make a tasteless alchohol to make limoncello for summer and more predominantly to make those with some flavour.
From what I have read, I think a "pot still" would possibly be best.21eo

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:44 pm

So I rolls into the bar at work this morning, after nightshift last night... And I overhear a couple of blokes talking.

"The most important thing is to throw out that first 200ml... That shit's pure Ethanol (not a typo), one nip of that will kill ya."

So I chimes in "It's actually Methanol and Acetone, among a few other nasty compounds... You need more than a nip to do any more damage than a shithouse headache though"

I think I almost had them convinced until I told them I was making whiskey out of cornflakes, and vodka out of tomato paste They turned back to themselves and started comparing turbo yeast prices :laughing-rolling:

Old mate is doing single run turbos through a HBS reflux, pulling 75% max ABV, and only tossing the fores... Reckons it tastes pretty good though, after filtering twice through 2 different carbon filters...

I tried, guys, I really did...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:50 pm

Zac see my post on turbos I know exactly where you are coming from :angry-banghead:
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Smbjk » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:36 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:So I rolls into the bar at work this morning, after nightshift last night... And I overhear a couple of blokes talking.

"The most important thing is to throw out that first 200ml... That shit's pure Ethanol (not a typo), one nip of that will kill ya."

So I chimes in "It's actually Methanol and Acetone, among a few other nasty compounds... You need more than a nip to do any more damage than a shithouse headache though"

I think I almost had them convinced until I told them I was making whiskey out of cornflakes, and vodka out of tomato paste They turned back to themselves and started comparing turbo yeast prices :laughing-rolling:

Old mate is doing single run turbos through a HBS reflux, pulling 75% max ABV, and only tossing the fores... Reckons it tastes pretty good though, after filtering twice through 2 different carbon filters...

I tried, guys, I really did...

No idea guys no idea :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: once you go to tpw you'll never go back. As I've never done a turbo I cant compare, not that I want to. Have a mate who religiously brewed turbo and finally convinced him to go tpw. First of all he could not beleive how good it is, 2nd no ore filtering, 3rd the cost. Now he goes on like he never did a turbo :laughing-rolling: all we can do is try zac :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Kimbo » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:27 am

I feel ya pain mate, whenever I go to the HBS i see people buying turbos and I think to myself "should I say something or not"?
then I think, who am to stop a storekeeper from making a sale( even if he is selling shit).
I just smile and nod.
I keep thinking I should hand out some Aussie distiller business cards tho :think:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby dogbreath vodka » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:38 am

A couple of months ago I tried to convince my brother-in-law about the advantages of non turbo and just using a pot still.
But he knows all about how it is done apparently.
He listens to a local HBS bloke who is real switched on with this sort of thing. :roll:
Can make a litre out of this and that after 6hrs of distilling. ... "It's as clear as a bell, even before filtering!" 8-} 8-}

Wouldn't believe me, that you could make decent spirits out of mash, sugar, yeast and water.

I even offered to give him my old 2.5" pot still and show him how it works....... still waiting for his reply. 8-} 8-}

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:54 am

Has your BIL seen you run the Steampunk(s), DBV? You'd think that'd be enough to convert even the most devoted turdbro!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby dogbreath vodka » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:03 am

No mate not yet.
But if he did, he would still know better, cause I am about 10 yrs younger than him and a lot more dumb. .. just ask him. :violence-smack: :violence-smack:

I'll just smile and keep sippin' :D :D ;-)

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:22 am

Yeah, I get that from all of the other distillers in town... I'm only 22, what would I know?

I, too, will just keep sippin' and smilin' :greetings-waveyellow:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:48 pm

Saw yet another Mac pub in my travels then saw this road sign nearby :laughing-rolling:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Smbjk » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:34 pm

crow wrote:Saw yet another Mac pub in my travels then saw this road sign nearby :laughing-rolling:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: nice mate nice :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby MacStill » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:43 pm

Activating accounts to the forum today I came across this and wondered if I should activate or deny it.

Hello,

The account owned by "fornicate_yu@gmx.com" has been deactivated or newly created, you should check the details of this user (if required) and handle it appropriately.

Use this link to view the user's profile:

I guess it would be interesting in the welcome center using our slang :))

"G'day fuck you welcome" :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby MacStill » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:46 pm

... also pretty sure kimbo wanted to let "peep show" join too :roll:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Kimbo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:28 am

MacStill wrote:... also pretty sure kimbo wanted to let "peep show" join too :roll:

Yeah....Stiggy takes all the fun out of it sometimes :laughing-rolling:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:27 pm

Anyone tried the new lemon coke? Ger fucking rose :puke-huge:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby punchy21 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:49 pm

I've just moved back to the big smoke from up north... Not sure how long I'm gonna last though - it's been two days and drivers on the road are doing my head in! :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit