The Banter Box

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: 3" Shotgun Condenser

Postby MacStill » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:10 pm

Actually I wouldnt like to see a newbie try building a 3" shotgun condenser with soft solder, I think this thread is more for those with intermediate soldering skills who want really neat easy to clean joins and dont have access to OXY ;-)

Also I think it's a given that once a reader has developed enough understanding to be able to build this type of condenser, lead free solder is a no brainer :))

Scotch brite? WTF? I just use fine grade steel wool if I want to shine my builds up :D

Feel free to put a topic up about different types of soft solder and what should or shouldnt be used, seeing your in the metal fab industry your knowledge of such things should be superior :whistle:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby emptyglass » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:04 pm

Well, there are plenty of guys that read a little on distilling, then head out the shed and start knocking something up, grabbing the stick of lead solder they are used to working with. On other sites I have seen guys that have made shotgun condensors (or more rightly known as tube and case heat exchangers- at least in my branch of the metal fab industry) before they have even fermented something.

I don't feel its out of place to suggest it to anyone that lead free solder should be used.

I agree that soft solder will work in many applications, some it performs better in, but hard solder is stronger for the same given joint. If soft solder was as good, hard solder would not be made. If hard solder wasn't so expensive and didn't get to deforming tepretures with sheetmetal, soft solder wouldn't be made.

I have made shotgun condensors with BSP nipples (cut in half) welded directly to the case, with 15% silver solder, and I don't break them off doing them up. I have broken this style fitting done with soft solder. And if one does use hard solder, it should be of the cadmium free type.

McStill wrote:Feel free to put a topic up about different types of soft solder and what should or shouldnt be used, seeing your in the metal fab industry your knowledge of such things should be superior :whistle:

I'll pretend your not being an ass. Whats the go with uplading PDF's? I have just the chart you need Mac, ex Machinerys handbook, 28th edition, with all soft solder compositions, it tells you all you need to know, but the forum wouldn't take it.
Anyway, there is only one type suitable for our (and any potable water plumbing) use. Let me know how to upload it and I'll start a thread for you.

And, I don't use steel wool on copper. The steel is harder than the copper, The particles embed themselfs in the copper and start corrosion, particulrly on non passivated joints. It dosn't show up till later.
emptyglass

Postby emptyglass » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:06 pm

I ran out of room to add, thats is a nice condensor, and it is a skill to do it all in soft solder. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Just don't ruin it with steel wool.
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:35 pm

So I've been ruining all my stills over the last few years using steel wool to shine em up have I ?? :angry-banghead: Explain your statement.

Well, there are plenty of guys that read a little on distilling, then head out the shed and start knocking something up, grabbing the stick of lead solder they are used to working with. On other sites I have seen guys that have made shotgun condensors (or more rightly known as tube and case heat exchangers- at least in my branch of the metal fab industry) before they have even fermented something.

I don't feel its out of place to suggest it to anyone that lead free solder should be used.

We dont treat people like idiots here, A newbie building a bok is nowhere near the advanced stages of being knowlegeable enough to build a shotgun condenser.

As I said, you're welcome to give a lecture on solders in another topic, this topic is about what you can do with soft solder.... you're confusing things for noobs by going elsewhere.

I'll pretend your not being an ass.

And I'll pretend your not just a noob smart arse coming here pissing all over the place trying to tell us how knowledgeable you are, I'll also pretend that the other thread where you think it's ok to abuse admin of this forum is ok..... Furthermore I'll pretend that my banning button isnt on this page sould you continue to piss me off.

I have made shotgun condensors with BSP nipples (cut in half) welded directly to the case, with 15% silver solder, and I don't break them off doing them up. I have broken this style fitting done with soft solder. And if one does use hard solder, it should be of the cadmium free type.

We are building stills not engine hoists or sledge hammers :angry-banghead:

Take the hint ok?

On other sites

Yes many of us see what's going on elsewhere ......and pull that screwdriver out of your ear :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby emptyglass » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:25 pm

Buy the way, I may not be able to upload a PDF, but I can take screen shots.
emptyglass

Re: The Banter Box

Postby Frank » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:56 pm

kimbo wrote:This New topic is a place for hanging crap, general chat and banter.
The idea is to keep threads clean and on topic.
If other threads become too off topic, then the clutter will be moved to here. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Well Kimbo,
Is whats going on here 'lately' best defined as hanging crap, general chat or banter??? :think: :?
...and if an 'off topic' gets too cluttered here, will it be moved somewhere else, I wonder??? ;-)
:whistle: :laughing-rolling:
(edit: added smilies)
Frank

Postby MacStill » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:37 pm

PM's have been active between EG & myself, things are sorted now so lets not go pulling the scabs off any wounds ;-)

OK?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby R-sole » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:15 am

Yes, posts by three people got shifted, not one.

IncudingOneOyYoursKimboPunkin :))
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Frank » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:07 pm

Hey Kimbo, this thread went to sleep after (certain, no-name, no- :teasing-neener: ) opinions....

Shame, I thought it had REAL (blah/banter) potential

So...how about I kick it off again with...
who do the members reckon has got the best avatar/attached photo and why...

me...well I'm a true believer in simplicity ( :laughing-rolling: ) so I reckon Stubbydrainer :oops:
Frank

Postby stubbydrainer » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:01 pm

Righto Frank
come clean....what do ya want ? :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby Sam. » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:03 pm

I have always liked 5Star's, a scotsman (or irishman) with a mace seems very cool 8-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Cane Toad » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:00 pm

Well I never know when mine is gunna change :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Kimbo » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:03 pm

Would you like to see my original avatar for a while?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Sam. » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:26 pm

kimbo wrote:Would you like to see my original avatar for a while?

It was slightly better :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Kimbo » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:30 pm

A little :mrgreen:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby devotus » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:45 pm

Punkins avatar is the little Japanese chick from Kill Bill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9iIKn1Bl6c
devotus

equipment: copper alembic pot still
+
1.5 inch VM column

Postby MacStill » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:54 pm

:teasing-neener: :D :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

The Banter Box

Postby Sam. » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:56 pm

Ha ha would never have got that seen the movie a couple of times as well!
I still vote for that avatar for being so random!
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Kimbo » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:59 pm

Aahh! i feel all nostalgic Mac, how 'bout you?
Where's 'lilstiffi when you need him?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:02 pm

kimbo wrote:Where's 'lilstiffi when you need him?

21.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit