Thinking of using backset for a spirit run.

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Thinking of using backset for a spirit run.

Postby Plumby » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:14 pm

Hey guys :greetings-waveyellow:
As the title says im thinking of using the backset from my next cfw strip run ( gen 4 ) to water down my low wines for a spirit run?
Just curious if anybody has done this or if I'd be better off using this cfw wash which is gen 4 to water it down to below 40% for the spirit run rather than striping it and using the backset?
Last edited by Plumby on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Re: Thinking of using backset for a spirit run.

Postby bluc » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:17 pm

Have heard it done with rum, cant see any reason why wouldnt work with any whiskey..
Last edited by bluc on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby db1979 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:44 pm

There won't be any foreshots or heads added, just extra tails, and if the flavours you're after are in the tails then why not give it a try? I guess the usefulness will come down to how far you stripped into the tails on the run that you got the backset from. If you went down to 20% then I doubt there'd be any point using the backset but if you stopped much sooner than that then there could be some useful flavour to gain. Pointless with a bubbler or reflux still though but seeing as your running a pot still it'd be worth trying.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Wobblyboot » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:15 pm

If ur looking for better tasting sugar heads then I’d recommend doing all grain bourbon’s instead, it’s the next step up :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby coffe addict » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:36 am

:text-+1: I'm with wobbles on this one. The purpose of a strip is to separate the alcohol from the dunder... Use wash or step up is my pennies worth
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby EziTasting » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:25 am

:text-+1:

This question has always perplexed me!

Why would you strip the low wines from the wash only to put them back together... :wtf:
Just skip the stripping run and save yourself the trouble/time/power....

My apologies if that is considered an offensive post...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby username » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:30 am

From interest i did a set of CFW to 4 gens in a pot where i would collect the strip until the low wines was diluted to under 40%.
Compared that to adding clean water to dilute, no real difference, used more power for no benefit.
Using backset would be the opposite approach to this (adding the shitties, not the goodies), would be interesting, but perhaps not give you the outcome you are after.

Next one i set aside 10L of wash from the 4th gen to add to the low wines to dilute under 40%, i would say it had more flavour, and would be my recommendation.
username

equipment: 2" Pot on keg, gas driven.

Postby bluc » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:24 pm

I reakon you will get more of a sour mash flavour diluting low wines with backset
bluc
Site Donor

Postby EziTasting » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:09 pm

username wrote:Next one i set aside 10L of wash from the 4th gen to add to the low wines to dilute under 40%, i would say it had more flavour, and would be my recommendation.

This I can understand; it almost makes sense and is (as far as I understand) called a 1.5 run.
I can also understand adding the backset from your stripping run back into the next generation in order to increase the flavour in successive ferments, but stripping the alcohols from a wash and the adding the dregs back in is ... loopy.
Why strip if your just going to combine the low wines with the backset again...

Again, that is my thoughts - I wouldn’t do it, but the only way you’re going to find out the true effect is by having a go. Please share the results, you never know which opinionatedselfrigyteousstuckupselfcentredpricks’ mind you’ll change!?!?

Yes, I’m talking about me. 8-}
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Sam. » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:53 pm

This is something I love about distillation, there are no boundaries :music-deathmetal:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bluc » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:41 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:If ur looking for better tasting sugar heads then I’d recommend doing all grain bourbon’s instead, it’s the next step up :handgestures-thumbupleft:

or like "mcwhisky" add tin of extract. un hoped of course quiet a variety avilable. but as coffee and wobblyboot said there is no comparison to all grain :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:03 pm

I’m with Ezi on this one, I don’t see the benifit of stripping the last wash and then adding the backset back in, just don’t strip the last one.
It would be like buying a bag of m&ms and separating out the blue ones, then throwing them all back in the bag...
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby db1979 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:47 pm

I disagree, if it's diluted down to 40 % with backset then it'll be somewhere in between doing a strip and spirit run with diluting with water and doing a spirit run without stripping. Spirit run without stripping will give more flavour but also more smeering, strip and spirit with water dilution less flavour and less smeering. Diluting with backset may give extra flavour at the sacrifice of a bit more smeering. Maybe smaller hearts cut but with more flavour. Worth a try. :twocents-mytwocents:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby bluc » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:42 pm

Doubleuj wrote:I’m with Ezi on this one, I don’t see the benifit of stripping the last wash and then adding the backset back in, just don’t strip the last one.
It would be like buying a bag of m&ms and separating out the blue ones, then throwing them all back in the bag...

Buuut when we sour mash, bwko mcrum as examples, we do exactly that at a wash level. Seems to be pretty popular across the board. I reakon adding backset/dunder to low wines your doing same thing but at a higher level with results heading in same direction but with bigger impact on final results. Perhaps 2 gens then watered back with backset/ dunder = 5gens of dunder/backset being added at wash level....did that even make sense... :-B
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Plumby » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:34 am

I appreciate all the reply guys, unfortunately I didn't get round to even doing the strip run let alone a spirit run this weekend.
To clarify, every strip run I do I strip down to 20% so by the time I do 4 strips I have around 30-35 litres of low wines at around 50%. I'm only adding 5-8 litres of backset to get to 40% for a spirit run.
I thought I might be able to increase the flavour by adding backset instead of plain water. Like some rum producers do.
Last edited by Plumby on Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Return to The Dunder Pit