Gas chromatograph results

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Gas chromatograph results

Postby ed9362 » Fri May 10, 2019 1:33 pm

Hi guys,

I finally got some of my product run through a gas chromatograph by a friend who works at a university.

I gave him a sample of my fore shots and my hearts cut.

The spirit is a kale wash consisting of 18kg white sugar, 300gms fresh kale and bakers yeast topped up to 100ltrs

It was double distilled on my Frankenstill which is 4 bubble plates topped with a boka still

Surprisingly despite looking for methanol he couldn’t find any, even in the fore shots.

There was a propanol spike in the back end of the hearts cut but it is extremely small.

I think next I will get him to run a commercial sample and see what a bit of Smirnoff looks like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ed9362 on Fri May 10, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ed9362

equipment: Pure distilling reflux still kit. A few extra fermenters
2" pot still

Re: Gas chromatograph results

Postby bluc » Fri May 10, 2019 1:42 pm

Sweet :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby coffe addict » Fri May 10, 2019 5:13 pm

A good friend of mine had the lab at the hospital he works at test some of what I gave him. Neutral Hearts only and apparently pretty close to the pure ethanol they buy in.
Virtually Non of the nasties that are found in the heads section and feel maybe I'd been a bit too tight on my cuts but it's so easy to drink and no hang over.
I'll ask and see if he still has the print out as it'd be interesting to see a comparison.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby scythe » Fri May 10, 2019 8:07 pm

What is the crossed out spike that comes up after the ethanol one?
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby ed9362 » Sat May 11, 2019 9:20 am

Apparently it’s a false reading because of an adjustment he had to make to the instrument. He said because there was such a big ethanol hit he had to clear it.
ed9362

2" pot still

Postby Doubleuj » Sat May 11, 2019 9:22 am

Interesting, the thing to point out is that there is very little (if any) methanol in a sugarhead wash, but there are other nasty chemicals present that don’t agree with our livers and will cause hangovers.
Any newbie reading this please do good cuts and you’ll notice the difference between heads and hearts.
Really keen to see the results from a cheap bottle of commercial vodka :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby ed9362 » Sat May 11, 2019 9:38 am

Completely agree.

I was surprised how few nasties there were in the fores but I still wouldn’t drink it.

I was also surprised to see the propanol in the hearts cut but according to the machine operator it is in such low concentration it won’t have any effect from drinking the product. He has been doing tests on commercial beers and wines lately so hopefully he won’t have any issues doing a commercial vodka
ed9362

2" pot still

Postby db1979 » Sat May 11, 2019 10:35 am

ed9362 wrote:I was surprised how few nasties there were in the fores but I still wouldn’t drink it.

The relative sizes of the peaks aren't necessarily indicators of concentration. Each different chemical will give a different response in the detector, it's quite possible that the small peaks in the fores could represent quite large concentrations of nasty stuff. In order to quantify it properly you need to identify the component and run known concentrations of that chemical (standards) to compare. So yeah, don't drink it.

Loving your work though :handgestures-thumbupleft:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Return to The Dunder Pit