Important poisoning alert

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: Important poisoning alert

Postby Darwin award » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:38 pm

Inlet pipe...
yeah, sorry, the 90c was the boiler temp, at which I know I can expect high ABV with my setup....the hose was the stainless braided type one buys from bunnings.
I dare say the kink was more a result of multiple set-up strip downs and an inappropriate angle of the line how I have it set up now...
As I re-circ out of a 9000ltr tank hence water temp isn't an issue.
Darwin award
Site Donor

equipment: Reflux still 1x store bought 1x home made copper 1 x eBay pot still....1 FSD Neutralizer set up and happy in it's new home

Postby Arismac » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:02 pm

I can now provide a little more info. I had attached two RED adapters to the McBoka cooling system and that's were the problem occurred. We checked the sink tap and everybody involved told me that they were quite sure the tap/faucet was wide open. So we investigated further.

It now seems 95% certain that the condenser outflow fitting which is warm/hot water had kinked at the outlet because I had used two red fittings.. This caused insufficient water flow, so the condenser overheated and allowed vapour to escape.

I then changed the outlet red fitting to the white fitting on the condenser outlet.

I have just finished a double stilling with the fittings as shown in the images and got an excellent result down to 95 C without any hint of escaping vapor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Arismac on Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arismac

equipment: none left

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:54 pm

Good result Arismac, glad you got it sorted :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby BSC_Kilby » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:18 pm

Methanol and Ethanol vapor is heavier than oxygen, so you'd have to displace a lot of oxygen in a small space before you were seeing an effect from breathing it in, just being in the room. Different story if you're smelling fumes coming off PC.
BSC_Kilby

equipment: Big still

Postby Professor Green » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:54 pm

BSC_Kilby wrote:Methanol and Ethanol vapor is heavier than oxygen, so you'd have to displace a lot of oxygen in a small space before you were seeing an effect from breathing it in, just being in the room. Different story if you're smelling fumes coming off PC.

How about popping into the welcome centre and introducing yourself champ?
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby BSC_Kilby » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:23 am

Professor Green wrote:
BSC_Kilby wrote:Methanol and Ethanol vapor is heavier than oxygen, so you'd have to displace a lot of oxygen in a small space before you were seeing an effect from breathing it in, just being in the room. Different story if you're smelling fumes coming off PC.

Done.

I've been doing a fair bit of reading about safety and distilling over the past 12 months and also been through the hazardous area certification process with a previous employer which gave me a bit of insight into where the risks are most likely to be around explosions.
BSC_Kilby

equipment: Big still

Postby Professor Green » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:47 pm

BSC_Kilby wrote:
Professor Green wrote:

Done.

I've been doing a fair bit of reading about safety and distilling over the past 12 months and also been through the hazardous area certification process with a previous employer which gave me a bit of insight into where the risks are most likely to be around explosions.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Previous

Return to The Dunder Pit