Watering down an aged product

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Watering down an aged product

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:19 pm

G'Day Guy's,
Well with the work xmas party next Friday and with me talking at work to the guy's about my moonshine I did say well I'll decant on of my moccana jars and see which one will be the best for the bottle. Rather than just go the CFW I do think an apple brandy is better suited to both the workers and the office staff.

So onto that concoction of apple and the licorice root one I did back in January and on tasting that it does need a few more months as the taste profile was out there lasting for a few minutes. Now trying the straight apple cider run the taste profile was like eh man you got it. :happy-partydance:

Now when I do sample I use a scientific thief and just go 5 ml of raw aged product which I found was sitting on 60%ABV, well the taste when watering to 40%ABV was flat and it had lost that zing. So I blended a small sample at 45% and that was the note and the one so the bottle I'm taking down a bottle which isis 90 proof. :laughing-rolling:

Just putting it out there that watering down to 40% and saying your product is the best may not say the truth, have a small sample at the aging level then make a small sample at 40% and see the difference. Some may keep the aging profile at 42 or 45 % where at 40% it's like the zing has gone.

So try this and see just how better your spirit can be at the right ABV level, 90 proof is the window but slightly lower may get the best result.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Re: Watering down an aged product

Postby Georgio » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:23 pm

I totally agree mate. I proof down to 45ish then by taste from there.

I find with fruits 45-50 is the sweet spot for me.
Georgio

equipment: 50l keg boiler.
4" FSD Pot Still
4" FSD Bubbler
95L mash tun with 300 micron grain basket
250kg Winch for grain basket

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:09 pm

When water down heats up and what purity of water are you using .
wynnum1

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:52 pm

wynnum1 wrote:When water down heats up and what purity of water are you using .

I just crystal clear rainwater, a few years ago a young gal came around asking for a sample of water as she was doing her thesis on the quality of water in the greater Adelaide region. We agreed providing she gave us the results and when she did she said our sample was in the top 5 in the region. Every 5 years we get out 5,000 gal tanks cleaned to keep the water nice and clean and results do show.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wobblyboot » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:35 pm

I don’t think a sugarhead corn flake whiskey should be called moonshine, it’s not close :handgestures-thumbdown: I’d be careful tho about taking any booze to a work xmas party, u never know who’s gunna be there :o don’t tell don’t sell comes to mind :teasing-neener:
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Return to The Dunder Pit