Tradeflame propane

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Tradeflame propane

Postby tubbsy » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:29 pm

https://www.bunnings.com.au/tradeflame- ... t_p5910244

I bought this kit from Bunning a while back and have only just got around to using it. Has anyone else used this? For the life of me, I can't get the bloody thing lit. The gas seems to be flame resistant, no matter what I try. Matches, lighters, another propane torch, sparker, nothing is able to ignite this gas. Even a tiny flow is near enough to blow out a lighter.

I can't get back to Bunnings for a while and I have a build that I need this for. Any ideas?
Last edited by tubbsy on Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tubbsy

equipment: 50L keg with a 3" x 4 plate column. Convertable to a pot still with worm condensor.

Re: Tradeflame propane

Postby bluc » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:57 pm

Turn valve to just open light then open valve as much as you think it can handle..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby tubbsy » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:06 pm

That's what I meant by the tiny flow. Barely audible when right up to my ear, but the gas still blows the flame of the lighter aside. Its not just this one bottle either as I bought a spare at the same time and it has the same problem.
tubbsy

equipment: 50L keg with a 3" x 4 plate column. Convertable to a pot still with worm condensor.

Postby db1979 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:46 pm

Hold the match off to the side of the gas flow. Bring it closer gradually if after a few seconds it doesn't light. Don't put it in the flow as it will blow out. I used one of these for my 2" and 4" bubblers. Very slow to heat up large pipe but still doable.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby bluc » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:00 pm

It shouldnt be this hard turn right down light then turn up to max it can handle :-B
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby db1979 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:11 pm

I've had trouble lighting them before, but only if the match is right in the gas flow.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Lesgold » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:57 am

Another trick is to put your hand around the air vents while lighting it. Doing that and using minimal gas flow will get it started. PS: Take your hand off the vents once it has started. Lol
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby scythe » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:44 am

Yeah that is the kit I started with.
I now use the same torch with a converter hose to a standard BBQ gas bottle, with gas fuse.
You can also use the fatter green camping cylinders which are cheaper than the thin blue ones, hold more too.

You need to light it from the side and quite close to / touching the torch head with only low gas flow.
I used a butane BBQ lighter.

So far so good, would like a larger head on it at times but I'm a patient man and I'm only using soft solder.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby tubbsy » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:04 am

Thanks guys. As mentioned, I've tried many different ways to light it with no success. I also had the internal fitting version from Tradeflame but swapped to these due to the bottles costing half as much. I had no problem lighting that one.

I just gave it another go then by blocking the air holes and I was able to get it lit! But it blew out as soon as I took my hand away :angry-banghead: I give up.
tubbsy

Postby Offline » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:07 pm

scythe wrote:Yeah that is the kit I started with.
I now use the same torch with a converter hose to a standard BBQ gas bottle, with gas fuse.
You can also use the fatter green camping cylinders which are cheaper than the thin blue ones, hold more too.

You need to light it from the side and quite close to / touching the torch head with only low gas flow.
I used a butane BBQ lighter.

So far so good, would like a larger head on it at times but I'm a patient man and I'm only using soft solder.

Hey Scythe,

i have one of these but the bottle is out of date and instead of replacing or certificating the bottle i would rather convert it to a standard BBQ LPG cylinder (POL fitting). is this what you have done? if so do you know what parts you used?

Cheers
O'ffy.

equipment: Pot still

Postby scythe » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:32 pm

Gas fuse:
Garth Living | Gas Safety Gauge Bbq Fittings
$19.89

Converter hose:
Tradeflame Torch Extension Hose Kit POL to CGA600
$57.79

All from the big green shed