DIY Labels

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

DIY Labels

Postby Carol » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:17 pm

Following the positive comments in the recent competition I have decided to start a thread where label designs can be posted.
Labels can be helpful - that way you can tell the difference between hand sanitiser and gin and you don't drink the wrong one!
I use beerlabelizer. The images produced are in PDF format and I have converted them to JPG to upload. You can adjust the size of the label to suit the bottle.

Cheers
Carol

Cherry Liqueur big-1.jpg

Raspberry Liqueur Large-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Re: DIY Labels

Postby Carol » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:21 pm

Baileys Choc Raspberry Luxe and Mocha

Choc Raspberry Luxe-1.jpg

Mocha-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Carol » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:12 pm

Baileys Luxe Choc Mint

Choc Mint Luxe large-1.jpg
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Carol » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:27 pm

Mango Liqueur

Mango Liqueur Large-1.jpg
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby the Doctor » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:55 pm

Great idea for a thread Carol... I like the labels you have posted, I love graphic design and think that all too often it is ignored when distilleries release spirits. Labels are to me like the garnish in a cocktail... not essential but they can make the experience.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby Carol » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:13 pm

Thanks Doc. I am having fun with beer labelizer. At Christmas I bottled DIY Baileys in champagne bottles with a crown seal and a suitably festive label. Recipients loved it.

I have been to your site ( eastviewestate.com for those reading along) and I love the quirky names and labels. As you say it adds to the experience. In the commercial world I think it also helps your product to stand out in what seems to be an increasingly crowded market.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby the Doctor » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:26 pm

Great wisdom in those words Carol... I have always had a love of commercial art. We have a saying here at Dobson's... if they ZIG we ZAG... we just try to be different, but still make quality our first priority.
cheers
Doc.
the Doctor

Postby Carol » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:20 pm

Unicorn Tears

Rose Lemonade Baby Blue Big-1.jpg
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby the Doctor » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:53 pm

Another good label there Carol... I love seeing people take pride enough to label their spirits, it is something I have always done I often keep a sample bottle and the best is coming back after some years and re - discovering a great old bottle, the label lets me know exactly when it was made... Lyn my wife and I stumbled upon my first ever gin the other night. it was labeled and numbered so we knew it was the first bottle... I really wish I could say it was good... but man was it rank ! a real horror show.... but it was fun knowing I had made it so long ago.... anyway keep up the good work... the labels are great.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby Carol » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:01 pm

Thanks Doctor
It is interesting to look back on earlier concoctions. Things that I thought were pretty good a year ago I wouldn't bother making now. It is encouraging that even the professionals do the same thing.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Carol » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:02 pm

Kaffir Lime Vodka

Vodka Kaffir Lime large-1.jpg
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby the Doctor » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:39 pm

Another great label Carol... I particularly like the choice of font. Nice.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby Carol » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:13 pm

Citrus Gin

Citrus Gin big.jpeg
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby the Doctor » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:45 pm

Another strong label Carol... it has a soviet feel to it... I love the Soviet propaganda posters of the 40's - 50's.... if you get a chance have a look at the poster work of a guy called Saul Bass you may like his style...
Cheers
Doc
the Doctor

Postby Carol » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:53 am

Thanks Doctor. I wil look up Saul Bass. I am enjoying playing around with Beerlabelizer. I have started a collection of interesting images for potential labels so hope to extend my skills over time.
Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Carol » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:38 pm

Playing around with images and labels.
Cherry Gin with Szechuan Pepper instead of Juniper Berries and a Raspberry version of the same.

Cherry Gin with Szechuan Pepper.jpeg

Raspberry Gin with Szechian Pepper.jpeg
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Wellsy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:47 pm

Hello Carol
Love the thread and I need to look into the labels that you use as I want to put that on my bottles.
At the risk of by jacking your thread what is the go with your kaffir lime drink. We have a kaffir lime tree and only ever use the leaves.the limes get thrown as I did not think they were edible. Do you have a productive use for them .
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Carol » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:16 pm

Hi Wellsy
Beerlabelizer is very cheap - developed in New Zealand but the price is in $US. I think I paid $11 for it and it is lots of fun. Laser print the labels and stick on with milk and they come off easily so you can do it all again.
A friend has a kaffir lime tree and brought over some limes and some leaves.
I have made kaffir lime vodka ( infuse chopped leaves in neutral) and kaffir lime gin.
For the gin, chop one lime into quarters. I removed any seeds I could see. Add 600-700ml gin ( I use 40% ABV neutral and Zymurgy Bob's gin extract so I can control the ginniness). I also add 1 bottle of white wine ( as I got a lot free when I ordered red wine online for my hubbywhen Covid started - adds a little bit of sweetness and some complexity). I leave it about 4 weeks and strain off the fruit. Taste testers tell me it is really good. This gives me about 2 bottles of kaffir lime gin at around 25% ABV.
Kaffir lime vodka has also been popular with taste testers. I had two different kinds of leaves and the thinner leaves had a very pleasant grassy taste. Taste testers enjoyed it with ice and soda. I did cut the ABV back to 20%.
Most of my taste testers are of mature years and not "seasoned" drinkers so I aim to get maximum flavour without having them getting tipsy, falling over and breaking their hip!

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Wellsy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:01 pm

Legend
Thanks for the info Carol. So many recipes so little time lol.
Once I get plenty of bourbon Naomi will start on some neutrals, well as neutral as you get with a pot.
I will definitely give this one a go. I have a son who is a big gin drinker and a Russian daughter in law so vodka is a must lol. They might be my summer projects as no generations will mean I can do when the water temp works best for stripping runs
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Carol » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:55 pm

I will be interested to see what you can do with the pot in terms of creating something neutral-ish. The gin extract has quite a strong flavour so that might work with a base that already has some residual flavour. The kaffir lime vodka also has quite a strong taste so if you could create something that worked with the lime flavour while it would not be
"vodka" as such, it might still be very pleasant.
I make a lot of fruit gins ( 600-700ml gin, 500g frozen fruit, one bottle white wine or rose ( yes there were a lot of freebies!) in a large wide mouthed jar for 4 weeks and then strain. Makes 2 bottles. Fruit goes back in the freezer to have with icecream or pancakes. ABV around 25%. Fruit is "forward" as they say. Again if you could make something neutralish to use as the base for the gin that worked with the fruit flavour that might make a very nice drink. You could also leave out the gin part and just have a fruit "cordial".
Keep me posted on your neutral-ish pot adventures.
Maybe start a thread and see what the brains trust can come up with.
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Next

Return to The Dunder Pit