Bye Bye Winsucks

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Bye Bye Winsucks

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:20 pm

G'Day Guy's,
Well getting home last Thursday and booting up my computer I found the hd had failed :angry-banghead: and yes it was my birthday too :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

I got so angry I just had to go down to the pub and get a decent steak and bugger the family as they couldn't handle my frustration :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: all I wanted to was get online and create the havoc I usually do :teasing-neener: but not having that privilege sucked.

I put that new hd I bought in and noway would winsucks load as my computer is an acer one and only their hardware will suffice :angry-banghead: So I had an old linux disk so got a live session going to confirm the hd was dead, rebooted with G-parted to do the final confirmation on the old hd. That linux distro was ubuntu 11.04 and I soon found out it was outdated with no support. So being without the net going on 3 days got on SWMBO's puter and messaged a mate who lives in the next town to burn me a ISO of mint mate 20. Well he rocked this morning and after giving him some tastings of my latest ventures and convincing him to buy some copper so he can upgrade from a T-500. I told him where to go and buy a 50 litre keg and we'll buy the fittings off 5 star and I'll fabricate him up a new boiler and as he was a plumber in a former life he can teach me the finer arts of soldering copper so we can make him a new still. I did convert him off using turbo yeast :scared-eek: and he did take the knowledge so asking a favour and chatting has my mate on the road to making the best spirits he can imagine. Now I will say doing this for him will totally free and I'm sure Zac will say I did a nice job on his boiler and still for free, well Zac did give me some goodies like a needle valve for my bubbler and enough SS tig rods to last a few years :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:

Anyway put that new dvd in and after an hour I was up and running and back on the net to once again create havoc :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Linux Mate 20 just plain works out of the box so I am one happy chap :teasing-neener: to be back.

Winsucks can go to hell as far as I'm concerned and that old hd will go upto the shed and taken apart to see if the arm is stuck on 0H and needs a voltage bump to free it. I was told years ago that is what hd's do and a simple voltage bump is all thats needs to get your data from it. With this old acer box is provision to put in a external hd so it will be fun to try this out.

Glad to be back and I don't cre what others say :music-deathmetal: :music-deathmetal: :music-deathmetal: I'm back with a mate who will keep this old hardware going for a long time yet :happy-partydance:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Re: Bye Bye Winsucks

Postby RC Al » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:57 pm

Years ago a mate and I did a scrap bin 486 up, the boot drive was a 20meg hard card that we literally had to start spinning by hand, the spacers to the odd branded propriety case and different make board were cigarette butts and numerous other on purpose dodgy stuff, that thing ran for years downloading stuff off IRC, managed about 18gb a month on a 56k modem lols

On a nice non-humid day, bag the drive up with as little air in there as possible and put it in the freezer for a few hours, if its the controller chip that on the way out, you may get as much as 20-30 mins out of it to drag data off of it before it heats up too much again
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:14 pm

No need to burn iso just install off a usb stick and even useless old 4 gb work OK.When you have a computer get a second hdd and then if the first one fails takes a couple of minutes to get up and running again.
wynnum1

Postby bluc » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:40 pm

:text-+1: or use cloning software takes bout 20mins to restore an image. I use small ssd for windows and programs big drive for storage..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:38 pm

I did manage while I had ubuntu going to get onto the linux puppy website and downloaded a iso image but noway no matter how I tried it just wouldn't copy onto a usb dongle attached. Now with linux mate running it is a one click affair so I'm one happy chap, tried out youtube and watched a great movie about Merlin with no problems apart from the ad's so time to fork out $15 a month so no adds
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:11 pm

LinuxLive USB Creator works on windows system and when you get new version Linux running just need to click on iso file and bootable usb is an option .
For on internet just works so well and will think why ever stuck with windows but do not forget your password as more secure then windows and you need it to make changes.
wynnum1

Postby The Stig » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:42 pm

Not all old pc’s can boot to a USB drive
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:00 pm

The Stig wrote:Not all old pc’s can boot to a USB drive

Probably not going to work very well if the computer is that old but would suggest re-flashing the bios if that is possible and if possible upgrade the CPU and memory if can find the parts.
wynnum1

Return to The Dunder Pit