"Queensland Molasses" has anyone used this brand?

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

"Queensland Molasses" has anyone used this brand?

Postby Grumpydude » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:13 pm

Hi everyone, I have been making some great rum over the years using Freemantle brand stockfeed molasses. With the closure of this company I have struggled to find a substitute that is as good. I just recently tried the Bundaberg foodgrade "Refinery Molasses" and felt the flavour was not as good as the Fremantle brand. I have just located another brand at the local stockfeed place called "Queensland Molasses" but cant read the ingredients on the buckets as the print is too small in every image I have come across. Seems really good value at $26.50 for 25kg bucket. Much better priced than the Bundaberg at $29.95 for 14kgs. I was hoping some one could enlighten me as to whether this molasses is safe for distillation? And how it tasted? Cheers.
Grumpydude

equipment: Pure Distilling Rig, Home made 2inch Pot Still. FSD Neutraliser, 50 litre Milk Can, Kegerator. Carter head.

Re: "Queensland Molasses" has anyone used this brand?

Postby bluc » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:58 pm

I only ever use stockfeed molasses..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Grumpydude » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:27 pm

Hi Bluc, thanks for the reply. I have always used stockfeed molasses in the past with no issues whatsoever. I was using the Fremantle brand which did not have sulphured molasses or preservatives in it. However there are stockfeed molasses brands that are sulphured and also have preservatives in them that can come over the still. I could not find any technical data about the ingredients in the Queensland Molasses and wanted to see if any one else had used this particular brand without issues. What brand of molasses are you using? Cheers.
Grumpydude

equipment: Pure Distilling Rig, Home made 2inch Pot Still. FSD Neutraliser, 50 litre Milk Can, Kegerator. Carter head.

Postby Sam. » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:32 am

Contact the company and ask for a spec sheet :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby chipboy » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:17 pm

Darn good idea I am up for a molasses rum, so please keep us in the loop?
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch. Home made mash tun.

Postby MartinCash » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:22 am

Hmmm... there is still a fair bit of stock of Fremantle molasses down this end of the country. I wonder if I should stockpile a bit.

2020 - the year of stockpiling...
MartinCash

equipment: 50L Boiler, copper pot still, copper 100mm modular CCVM column.

Postby ed9362 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:25 pm

i have been using Queensland molasses for a while, it ferments just fine and make great tasting rum
ed9362

equipment: Pure distilling reflux still kit. A few extra fermenters
2" pot still

Postby Grumpydude » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:32 pm

Hi ed9362, thanks for the reply. You would'nt have a bucket with the label still on it would you? I'd love to know what's in it compared to the Fremantle molasses. I have tried to locate the manufacturer but with no luck. I have visited the distributors website ( www.salce.com.au) and they do not even list the molasses on the site. Have you ever made rum with the Fremantle brand? How does the taste compare if so? I just put a batch through the bubbler made from the Bundaberg refinery food grade molasses. I used my same recipe and the end product seem to have a lot less flavour. I still have 14kgs of Bundaberg left, thinking of substituting raw sugar to try and bump up the flavour profile. I may even try running over 3 plates instead of 4. Cheers.
Grumpydude

Postby Grumpydude » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:35 pm

Hey MartinCash, I would grab a few buckets before they go. I'm sure you'll appreciate them more than the cattle will.
Grumpydude

Return to The Dunder Pit