Start up distillery

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Start up distillery

Postby Hava » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:12 pm

Hi guys,

Long time no post for me! Been caught up with family, work and product runs.

My working life is turning a corner and I am considering starting a distillery from scratch and I am hoping for any starting points I need to investigate and things that need to be considered from any members that have already started this journey or are considering a similar pathway.

I learnt pretty much everything I know from reading recipe's and ideas from this forum so it seems only logical to begin this journey with this post.

Btw, why hasn't there been another oak domino bulk buy? I am starting to run low from the last one :scared-eek:
Hava

equipment: Once you've run a FSD there is no going back!!!

Re: Start up distillery

Postby Sunny Hill » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:23 pm

Hello Hava.

A few points to consider before diving into the abyss.

- You will need a space to distill that will need to be licensed (ATO license to manufacture) which will also require the approval from your local council (Development Approval (or equivalent for your council)).

- You will need that ATO licence to manufacture before you make a drop of alcohol and your stills will need to be registered with the ATO

- Also require a liquor license to then sell your product.

- Have a think what products you are going to make and where you are going to sell them, are you going to have a cellar door or go straight into distribution?

- Do costings sheets for every single thing to need and then add at least 20% for start up capital

- Are you self funding this venture or using investors?

These would be a good starting point, there are hundreds of other things to worry about but a lot of the big ones will present themselves during the process of gaining the council approval and other licenses.
Sunny Hill
Site Donor

equipment: 5 Star 12 plate 8" 1000L
5 Star 4 plate 8" 1000L
1000L HLT/Mash Tun
All Steam Jacketed
100L milk can 6”

Postby southern45 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:07 pm

Distilling is the easy bit. One of the biggest things to consider is HOW you're going to get people to buy your product, then buy it over and over again. You can have the most epic rum in the world but if nobody knows about it then you're not going to sell very much. You're going to be pouring a LOT of your own or an investor's money into this and the initial money-making options are limited. Explore quick-to-market products while you're rum/whisky/whatever is maturing. Study some of the more popular "craft distilleries" making a name for themselves. Figure out your place in the market and what you can do differently, have an interesting story, a local connection, etc.

Rather than running a great distillery that does some marketing, switch your thinking around (or have somebody who can take care of it). Sometimes you need view your venture as an awesome marketing company that just happens to be attached to a great distillery!
southern45

equipment: Four plate 5-Star copper bubbler

Postby bigcam » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:06 pm

Hava wrote:Hi guys,

Long time no post for me! Been caught up with family, work and product runs.

My working life is turning a corner and I am considering starting a distillery from scratch and I am hoping for any starting points I need to investigate and things that need to be considered from any members that have already started this journey or are considering a similar pathway.

I learnt pretty much everything I know from reading recipe's and ideas from this forum so it seems only logical to begin this journey with this post.

Btw, why hasn't there been another oak domino bulk buy? I am starting to run low from the last one :scared-eek:
:scared-eek: i think i got in on that and that was a long time ago now :shhh: had a donors jacket win of a couple of kgs years back and just bought 4kgs of dominos off stig last week :handgestures-thumbupleft:
if after dominoes 5star store has them
bigcam

equipment: upgraded 110lt gas fired boiler
24lt inline thumper
4 inch x 4 plate with 4 inch shotty with parrot

Postby The Stig » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:25 pm

Thanks Cam :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy