I think its time for me to give up :(

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

I think its time for me to give up :(

Postby Boomgate » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:50 pm

In the early days of distilling I used to make all sorts of delicious concoctions, limoncello, Oranchino (limonella but with oranges), Lemon and orange vodka, coffee liquer and heaps more.... and my drinking was regular but not something I was really worried about...

Since about this time last year, my drinking increased, and once Covid hit,it started getting out of control... I now feel I am drinking unhealthy amounts, and because of that I have decided to pull the plug on my hobby.

I am selling my still (in the for sale section now) and will focus on repairing my liver, my waistline and my health, while trying to stay sane in an insane world.

I just wanted to give a shout out to the people who run this forum, admins past and present, for providing a great resource for this hobby. I want to thank the community for their support, advice and humour.

Cheers guys. Keep enjoying your hobby, I hope that one day, when I am in a better place mentally, I will get back into it safely.
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Re: I think its time for me to give up :(

Postby bluc » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:18 pm

Sad to hear yea its a definate occupational Hazzard..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wellsy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:32 pm

Great to hear you have decided to take control mate.
Sad to here you are leaving.
Your not alone mate and many others have had to face demons like you are doing now. They are never the same demons but always just as challenging.
Here is not necessarily the best place to talk but if you want to talk about what weight loss give me a yell mate happy to offer what ever support I can. I can tell you it is never about how much you exercise it is always about what you swallow lol.
Does not mean you have to stop everything but sometimes none is easier than some.
Hope to see you back when you get a better handle on things.
good luck
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Yonder » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:04 pm

Don’t let anyone talk you out of it. When you lose control of your fate it is a crisis that only you can overcome. So sorry to hear you’re losing something you love but first comes your health and family. Be at peace with your decision.
Yonder

equipment: 10 gal copper pot w/doubler and a lot of enthusiasm

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:09 pm

This also happens with making your own beer and going into kegs and can pour a beer at any time of the day.
wynnum1

Postby bluc » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:11 pm

Or bread or pizza or salami / cured meats..cheese..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Sam. » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:41 am

Sad to see you go mate but yeah unfortunately the reality is alcohol is a drug and can be just as addictive as the rest.

Moderation can be difficult sometimes, I wish you all the best :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:04 pm

All the best mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Tesla101 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:32 pm

Kudos to you mate for taking action before it gets the better of you.

I've only been distilling for less than a year, but I do believe I am a "healthier" drinker than before.

My wife and I used to knock over a bottle of cheap red every night, and wake up with a headache and crook guts the next morning. Now we enjoy a couple of homemade gins and maybe a coffee liqueur each night, but no longer do either of us wake up with a hangover. We've also just about halved the dollars we used to spend at Dan's and have much more fun creating new recipes and trying new drinks.

But like anything else, moderation is the key. If you can't control it, it's time to make some changes.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby Boomgate » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:50 am

Tesla101 wrote:Kudos to you mate for taking action before it gets the better of you.

I've only been distilling for less than a year, but I do believe I am a "healthier" drinker than before.

My wife and I used to knock over a bottle of cheap red every night, and wake up with a headache and crook guts the next morning. Now we enjoy a couple of homemade gins and maybe a coffee liqueur each night, but no longer do either of us wake up with a hangover. We've also just about halved the dollars we used to spend at Dan's and have much more fun creating new recipes and trying new drinks.

But like anything else, moderation is the key. If you can't control it, it's time to make some changes.

Yeah, I started distilling in 2012 and I found the same thing for many many years, its only recently that my behaviour changed.... Best to walk away for a while and come back if I feel it is safe to do that in the future.
Boomgate

Postby Boomgate » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:10 pm

Well, turns out I couldnt give up... However I learned a valuable lesson...

Firstly I want to apologise for the "Drama" of posting this post to start with, at the time I was trying to be productive, drawing a line in the sand for myself... But looking at my post now I am cringing a bit.

I no longer have a problem, I found the solution was actually simple....

When I drank wine, I never had a problem.... so... haha, I water everything down to wine ABV at the beginning of the night :) Makes how much I drink much more predictable... and If at the end of the night, I have one extra, no big deal.
:text-imwithstupid:
Boomgate

Postby Wellsy » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:34 pm

No need to apologise mate. Your post got you an answer and that is the main thing.

Takes a monster effort to face up to your short comings, and an even bigger effort to overcome them. Congrats mate and glad we have not lost an experienced distiller for advice
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Return to The Dunder Pit