Postby WhiskeySour » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:12 pm

Your best build yet Bryan :happy-partydance:
WhiskeySour

equipment: 50L keg boiler, 2x 2200w
2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Re: .

Postby Sam. » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:50 pm

Is the output of the flash boiler regulated by the burner and a constant supply of water?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:20 pm

Sam. wrote:Is the output of the flash boiler regulated by the burner and a constant supply of water?

Yes it is the flash boiler will take what it needs once heated up but I did find with this 1/8" flash boiler water hammer was a problem even with a gravity supply so a simply solution of a ball bearing in a fitting will stop the water hammering. In the trial using the bunsun burner I did find holding the input water tube vertical did stop the hammering and the output shot out a good metre or so.

Yes with all this I'm still learning again as in my younger days steam was the go in my dad;s eyes, we made 6" gauge loco's and won the trials and I asked my dad about flash boilers so I did get a good primer on the subject. The concept of a flash boiler is too do it's job with no pressure or very little so this project will monitor the steam and adapt to suit the application. If the 1/4" output is too small I will increase it and YES I will be putting in pressure gauge to keep tabs on things.

Flash boilers have never become main stream for one good reason........ to stop sheeple using them.

Basically if you don't know what you are doing then don't do it but my fascination with flash boilers spans my lifetime as with the right conditions they just plain work.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Sam. » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:36 pm

Will it deliver a good consistent input to the still?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:07 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well got the pot finished and silly me forgot to take a pic :violence-smack:

Anyway put 3 litres of water and decided to give it a test run. In the first hour got the water from 28C to 50C then the fun started, got a water blockage after blockage in the teflon pipe which stopped the steam and when the temp got to 70C the teflon kept melting on the flash boiler 1/8" pipe :angry-banghead: So basically that little flash boiler is a total fail and I've made a pipe fitting for the 3/8" flash boiler so this week I'll fit that and give it another trial with water.

As the boiling point for vinegar is 117C I would need more steam input as the 1/8" one is just too small and over the 3 hour run didn't even use a litre of feed water, to gauge the amount of feed water used I put 6 litres in my 25 litre fermenter and when I stopped filled 2 litre beakers to get the feed water figure.

I do need to weld on some feet for that 3/8" flash boiler and setup the feed water pipe but I do think it will work nicely.

O'well sometimes my thoughts prove good and some don't and the idea of small just didn't cut the mustard this time.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Previous

Return to The Dunder Pit