Wineos after Spirit run

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: Wineos after Spirit run

Postby WhiskeySour » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:12 pm

The Stig wrote:Are you for real ??
Surely this is one big troll post

...asks for help and argues with the advice
Last edited by WhiskeySour on Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WhiskeySour

equipment: 50L keg boiler, 2x 2200w
2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Postby WhiskeySour » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:14 pm

Think about this like your electric fry pan. You set to an output setting - low, med, high etc. The element turns on full power until the pan reaches desired temp, then the element turns off once thermostat tells it to. When temp drops below setpoint, the thermo turns the element back on (at full power).

This is what your brewzilla is doing (the PID is smoothing this but it will still cycle element output up and down). Each time the elements turn on and off, the mix of alcohols and water being evaporated changes slightly due to slight changes in temp. This fluctuating temp will evaporate different alcohol fractions together in varying amounts, ie smearing (as has been stated already, the likely diagnosis of your original question).

By keeping the element on continuously, and adjusting the voltage flowing through the element, you can adjust the rate of evaporation, but most importantly there is no cycling of power so there is no smearing of alcohol fractions - clean heads, hearts and tails

Hope this helps
WhiskeySour

equipment: 50L keg boiler, 2x 2200w
2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Postby The Stig » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:38 pm

WhiskeySour wrote:

100%
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Tesla101 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:18 am

The Stig wrote:
WhiskeySour wrote:

100%

Either that or the OP needs to read up on vapour speeds and output rate.

Also, reading back, there's no mention of actually doing ANY reflux. OP also didn't take ANY notes on how long the run took, how often he swapped jars, ABV of each jar. To me, that's just bad science - especially if it's the first time you've done a new run with a different wash.

@grasmere - just be humble and take the advice of the experienced guys that have done this thing for years and know what they're talking about. Run it again and this time take proper notes. Then if it fucks up again, at least you'll have a point of reference.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby grasmere » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:27 pm

Thank you for the replies who genuinely wanted to help. All it would have taken from you Brewzilla users was let me know that I should run both 1900 and 500 watts to get to 78c and then run just the 500watt only, which I have done and all seems well
grasmere

equipment: BeerMe Spirit Maker with Reflux Column, 35 Ltr Brewzilla with Pot and Reflux and 35 Ltr Fermzilla Fermenter

Postby grasmere » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:34 pm

Either that or the OP needs to read up on vapour speeds and output rate.

How did you know I was an Old Age Pensioner
grasmere

equipment: BeerMe Spirit Maker with Reflux Column, 35 Ltr Brewzilla with Pot and Reflux and 35 Ltr Fermzilla Fermenter

Postby grasmere » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:36 pm

@grasmere - just be humble and take the advice of the experienced guys that have done this thing for years
Puke Puke
grasmere

Postby howard » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:03 am

grasmere wrote:Thank you for the replies who genuinely wanted to help. All it would have taken from you Brewzilla users was let me know that I should run both 1900 and 500 watts to get to 78c and then run just the 500watt only, which I have done and all seems well

there doesn't seem to be a lot of brewzilla users on this site, but that doesn't mean that the advice regarding power control isn't valid.
all seems well?
was it a spirit run?
what was your collection rate (l/hr)?
if your rig produced something that was just ok with the 500w element only, that would just be pure luck.
there is no way that just 500w would be powerful enough to produce anything on my set up.
don't get me wrong, i'm happy that at least you realise that altering the power (which you did by running the 500w only) gave you a better product.
but you still only have 3 power options, 500w/1900w/2400w.
my rig runs quite well when the 1900w element is on about 2/3rds power, but i can tweak it to achieve my desired output.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby Tesla101 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:09 pm

grasmere wrote:Either that or the OP needs to read up on vapour speeds and output rate.

How did you know I was an Old Age Pensioner

Lol. I didn't. OP means "Original Poster" which is another way of meaning the person that started the thread.

It's also common courtesy on forums that when you quote another post to include the user that posted the original message. This forum makes it easy. You just need to click on the "Quote" button in the top right comer of the post.

grasmere wrote:@grasmere - just be humble and take the advice of the experienced guys that have done this thing for years
Puke Puke

That's quite an interesting response. I'll more than likely not offer you any further help... :whistle:
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby The Stig » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:46 pm

grasmere wrote:Thank you for the replies who genuinely wanted to help.

That was all of us and your reply was to puke on us :violence-stickwhack:

Tesla101 wrote:That's quite an interesting response. I'll more than likely not offer you any further help... :whistle:

Seems there is no helping some people ~x(
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby grasmere » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:37 pm

Thank you to the self righteous. I have no intention of being abused again
grasmere

Postby The Stig » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:41 pm

Ok
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Previous

Return to The Dunder Pit