Recommend Me A New Mower

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Recommend Me A New Mower

Postby QLD.Andy » Fri May 11, 2012 8:58 pm

My 30 year old Victa 2 stroke has to be put to pasture so to speak, its costing more these days trying to keep it alive.
So, I have been doing some research into whats available and affordable.
I have dwindled it down to 4 candidates:
1 – Honda HRU196M1 @ $1039
2 – Victa Commando 19" Self Propelled @ $699
3 – Rover Challenger Mulch N Catch Self Propelled @ $515
4 - Regal Self Propelled Mulch N Catch @ $618

All prices are from the manufacturers recommended lists, probably get them a little cheaper with a haggle or 2.
I have about 600 square meter to cut, flat ground with "average" grass.
I like the idea of mulching.
Any recommendations, experience with the above selection.
Thanks
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Re: Recommend Me A New Mower

Postby stubbydrainer » Fri May 11, 2012 9:59 pm

G'day Andy
if the honda is self propelled , they are the go , Dunno the model number , but I have one, unbelieveably reliable.
had it about 2 1/2 years , and it works every weekend , dragging the misses around the lawn :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: She loves it so much , she washes and wipes it dry after every mow :laughing-rolling: , its was different when ya had to push the mower through the lawn.
do yourself a huge favour and fuck the rest off:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Its just a shame the honda is so expensive, but it is well worth it in the end
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby crow » Fri May 11, 2012 10:07 pm

Did ya see my pot still thread there's a good one mentioned there just tonight if ya didn't see it wow thats spooky
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby audistiller » Fri May 11, 2012 10:58 pm

Gday Andy,

I dont know if this will help you at all but have a look through here - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/?a ... s&f=&fg=-1

And for the rest of you guys while I remember, I used to refer to the site below quite often when I needed help, have a look through this site, there is heaps of info on just about anything you want to know about, product reviews for anything from Phones to your Internet Provider to Cars and Solar Panels.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

Regards
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby R-sole » Sat May 12, 2012 5:14 am

I dunno about mulching, i guess that's a fancy way of saying spreading the grass.

The only piece of grass i use the catcher for at our place is the piece out the back where the clothesline is. And that's only so the grass doesn't get walked into the house.

It's better for the grass to not be carting nutrients away, it's better for our landfill and it's certainly better for the operator if she.. i mean i don't have to stop to empty fukin catchers
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby QLD.Andy » Sat May 12, 2012 9:03 am

stubbydrainer wrote:G'day Andy
if the honda is self propelled , they are the go , Dunno the model number , but I have one, unbelieveably reliable.
had it about 2 1/2 years , and it works every weekend , dragging the misses around the lawn :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: She loves it so much , she washes and wipes it dry after every mow :laughing-rolling: , its was different when ya had to push the mower through the lawn.
do yourself a huge favour and fuck the rest off:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Its just a shame the honda is so expensive, but it is well worth it in the end

The Honda is sadly not self propelled, the starting point there was about $1400 so out of the question.
I will ignore the rest of your comments :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
audistiller wrote:Gday Andy,

I dont know if this will help you at all but have a look through here - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/?a ... s&f=&fg=-1

And for the rest of you guys while I remember, I used to refer to the site below quite often when I needed help, have a look through this site, there is heaps of info on just about anything you want to know about, product reviews for anything from Phones to your Internet Provider to Cars and Solar Panels.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

Regards

I spend much time on whirlpool and I actually posted this same thing and it was deleted and I was directed to the same thread you linked.
The problem there is, many of the engines have been changed to Chinese made engines in the last few months so most of the chatter is irrelevant.
5Star wrote:It's better for the grass to not be carting nutrients away, it's better for our landfill and it's certainly better for the operator if she.. i mean i don't have to stop to empty fukin catchers

This is why I was looking into mulching and I have been told (however true it is) that the new mulching mowers dont have you dragging clippings into the house.
Having never owned a self moving mower I have questions.
Can you still pull the mower backwards ? as I do the old Victa
QLD.Andy

Postby R-sole » Sat May 12, 2012 10:06 am

Yes, they have a clutch type mechanism.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby stubbydrainer » Sat May 12, 2012 10:13 am

Andy
have a look on ebay , for the honda self prop. copy then, that would be my second choice, a bloke up the road got one and its as good as the genuine thing IMHO. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
the genuine honda's are made in china anyway ( it says so on a tiny little sticker :handgestures-thumbdown: )
stubbydrainer

Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller

Postby QLD.Andy » Mon May 14, 2012 9:48 pm

I bit the bullet and bought one of these: http://www.victa.com/au/domestic-produc ... 84/GMS484/
Got it for $579 with a free 5lt fuel can and first service.
I figured mowing was the only exercise I get so I didnt want self propelled (so I was told) and I couldnt justify the extra $400+ for the Honda
So a 190cc B&S 4 blade muncher in 4 stroke flavour, a rolls compared to me old 2 stroke 30 year old screamer (thats going to the boy to use) :laughing-rolling:
QLD.Andy

Postby stubbydrainer » Mon May 14, 2012 10:14 pm

that one's not even onya list :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
I thought you were going for a self propelled jigga 8-}
stubbydrainer

Postby QLD.Andy » Mon May 14, 2012 11:42 pm

I got talked out of self propulsion, seems Im getting wider and needs the exercise :whistle:
QLD.Andy

Postby MacStill » Tue May 15, 2012 12:23 am

If you ignore the mrs long enough I'm sure someone will come over and cut your grass for you :))
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Goldie » Tue May 15, 2012 2:11 am

McStill wrote:If you ignore the mrs long enough I'm sure someone will come over and cut your grass for you :))

:grin::grin::grin: Had a good laugh at that.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Return to The Dunder Pit