Swap a Bottle

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Swap a Bottle

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:26 pm

G'day Guy's,
I do have a few 150ml bottles left and I do think 150ml is enough to get a sample, now that bottle with a bit of bubble wrap from 5 star push's nicely into a poly pipe and light enough to stick in 500 gram express post pack.

For starters The Stig is getting some of my Strawberry Brandy in the hope I get get a bottle back of his first gin run when it happens :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I have offered Wellsy some of my Sphagnum moss project and if a couple of others want try it I only have about 400ml of it and man for guy who has never had a peat whisky this thing does taste different suggesting it is peaty.

So what do you guy's think is this worth going ahead as with the express post it does cost $12.50 but alas a small sum to taste some goodness or.........

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Re: Swap a Bottle

Postby tubbsy » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:33 pm

I reckon it's a great idea. I'd love to taste how your sphagnum smoked whisky came out. I've got some of my own backyard peat smoked whisky that would be good to get feedback on. I love Laphroaig, so definitely know peat smoked, but mine's more campfire than peat.
tubbsy

equipment: 50L keg with a 3" x 4 plate column. Convertable to a pot still with worm condensor.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:39 pm

Tubbsy PM your address and a bottle is on it's way
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby The Stig » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:34 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:For starters The Stig is getting some of my Strawberry Brandy in the hope I get get a bottle back of his first gin run when it happens :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

You never told me that, now I cant wait for the post pack to arrive :laughing-rolling:
But, what a great idea, and yep, ill return it in a couple of weeks :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:03 pm

OK if I am allowed to set some rules of this trade

When a bottle is received a comment on this thread is required as to the tasting whether it is positive or negative and further the recipe for the bottle.

To start I soaked off memory 50 grams of moss in some CFW for a few days and put it thru my minime, now this has been on for a few months on French Oak now whether it's peaty or just a fangled project one need s a tester.

For the Stig just enjoy mate or put up this is up as shit I don't care as this is all about sharing

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RC Al » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:26 pm

Just for reference Bryan, the 500g bags arnt any bigger, but will now take up to 5kgs, so you can fit a reasonable size bottle in there these days :handgestures-thumbupleft:

A week before chrissy wasnt a good time to start this lols

People seem intrigued by my sweet mash corn, so when I get to do my next batch ill let yas know - should be in the next couple of weeks
Last edited by RC Al on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:53 pm

Ok got 2 bottles on the way and got to the PO just in time at 4pm, this morning I was told 4.30pm and there was long line of people so I called out don't let that postie leave until my parcels are processed. The lady upfront said come on up and get your parcels done and really that is what makes Nairne the best town in the country to live in.

So to The Stig with the Strawberry Brandy and tubbsy with the peated CFW lets just hope there get before xmas and the postie did reckon Tuesday or Wednesday would be the delivery date if not sooner.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:42 pm

Ok just checked the tracking and The Stig can expect his bottle on Tuesday and tubbsy's bottle will arrive on Wednesday so plenty of time before xmas for a sample or 2 but will it keep The Stig from drinking all that young gin robbing the angels share which we don't want anyway :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Wellsy » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:54 pm

Lol
No it will not stop Stig from drinking the gin, hell it has been 6 months since he first thought about making it lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby The Stig » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:22 pm

So, I was busy today and the posty arrived , I yelled at the Mrs to grab the bag for me.
She asks “what’s this?” So I said open it and find out.
Next thing she’s screams and chucks the bag out the door onto the lawn screaming “ITS A PIPE BOMB”
Me, oh that must be Bryan’s bottle of strawberry hooch :laughing-rolling:
The bottle survived , 2 pairs of undies and a Polly pipe will do that :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Thanks Bryan.
Moral of the story is, let your Mrs know that a bag containing a pipe isn’t what it looks like :dance:
I’ll test it tomorrow
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:35 pm

Lol

Lucky he packed the undies as it sounds like your missus needs a fresh pair

I am assuming he sent you fresh ones not dirty ones
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby The Stig » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:45 pm

I didn’t look that close :wtf:
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:36 pm

Wellsy wrote:Lol

Lucky he packed the undies as it sounds like your missus needs a fresh pair

I am assuming he sent you fresh ones not dirty ones

They were NOT undies it was just some clean rags
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby The Stig » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:56 pm

:laughing-rolling: :teasing-neener: :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby tubbsy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:59 pm

Got your bottle today, Bryan, and am already "taste testing" :-D

And it pretty bloody tasty! I can detect a peat like flavour, but to my tastes it's fairly mild compared to my favourite Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Probably missing the wafts of smoke to match closer to a traditional peated whisky. Still a little sharp, but that's probably due to it only being a few months old. But its a lovely sipper, so it won't make it past tonight!

Now I have your address I'll send you a couple samples.
tubbsy

equipment: 50L keg with a 3" x 4 plate column. Convertable to a pot still with worm condensor.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:20 pm

Great to hear tubbsy and yes it is still young, now i did use 12 month oaked CFW and the full details are on my thread on the subject. So whynot get some moss and try it out for yourself.

You are the first tester of this project so the feedback is great mate, now this is out there give it a try just like the guys did back in the 1700's :laughing-rolling: where the scots were true assholes in not sharing.

Cheers Bryan

P.S. maybe we should get some moss and put some other moss on a tray above then burn the moss below to get that smoke taste but like i say true peated whisky is something Ive never tried before so the experiments go on :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:

Cheers Bryan

P.S.S. Now Stig get ya ass out of gear and try that Strawberry Brandy so i can open that bottle I decanted :violence-smack: :violence-smack: :violence-smack:
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby tubbsy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:32 pm

My next batch I'm going to add some sphagnum moss to the backyard peat I have and bubble the smoke through the low wines to see how that goes. Works pretty good with just my peat, but is more camp-fire smoke than peat smoke.

Four x 50ml samples are on the way, including some proper peated Laphroiag QC. That'll give you something to benchmark against.
tubbsy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:07 pm

OK I've weighed up a 1 litre a bottle of manzano brandy and just under 1.5kg's that bottle has aged for 5 years and having a taste it WOW :teasing-tease: this is a nice drop. Now for the great service Andrew has done he is getting one but alas it won't be there in time for xmas

So as AL RC has said may aswell send a full bottle and a warning if sending in pipe mark on it that it isn't a bomb :laughing-rolling: so SWMBO doesn't go apeshit :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby The Stig » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:30 pm

Ill neck that strawberry tonight and get the gin in the post back to you :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby The Stig » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:04 am

OK so I polished off Bryan's strawberry brandy last night.
My first thought was, this isnt for me, the flavor wasn't something that I would make for my own personal taste but.......
I cant tell by how smooth it was and by how clean it was that it was made by somebody who knows what they are doing.
So while the flavor wasn't my thing, it was still a pleasant drop to drink even though I ended up mixing it with some soda water.
Cheers
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Next

Return to The Dunder Pit