The BIAB Group Buy

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

The BIAB Group Buy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:28 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well plenty of us are going to get these BIAB bag's so we need to be smart about it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Trying to squeeze these bag's to get all the of the goodness out is going to be a nightmare :angry-banghead: Sure one can sit there and just squeeze for days but still leave a heap of moisture in the bag.

As you guy's know living off the grid is to you guy's like I'm living in a cave :teasing-tease: but what does a power bill look like again :laughing-rolling:

Now let's say and this will be my case a 60 litre fermenter is going to be used, a beam will be placed above so a pulley system can be setup rather than a chainblock as we don't want rusty matter entering our wash. Now could just elevate it to drip but infection will occur so that is ruled out. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

24 volt wiper motors off trucks can be found at wreckers very cheaply and that will be the power source for the twin roller setup we will make. Now think back in time when SWMBO had to squeeze the washing between 2 rollers from a by gone age :teasing-tease: That is the concept I do think is the best system to use and just let gravity take it's course.

Some will say I'm on the grid so how will I power the 24 volt motor :teasing-tease: well one could just use 2 batteries in series or use the setup will describe where a 240 volt power source will be used with full speed control of the rollers.

Now for the pulley system these can be found at garage sales and secondhand shops as we will use the gearing ratio to our advantage and provide the slip needed for the BIAB to lower when needed.

As the bag's are a few weeks away lets have a discussion about this and my concepts about this issue.

Come on we can be smart about this so lets start.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Re: The BIAB Group Buy

Postby Amberale » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:08 pm

How about picking up an old washing machine from the next hard rubbish day.
Run a couple of rinsing cycles to clear detergent and then just use a spin cycle.
Even cavemen have solar panels these days. ;)
Amberale

equipment: 5* Neutraliser.

Postby Amberale » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:12 pm

Or, for off the grid.
Two fermenters.
One slightly smaller than the other.
Bag in the big one with a tap/drain in the bottom to collect.
Slide the smaller one inside and then fill it with water to press the grain.
Leave overnight then siphon/pump the water back into your storage.
Amberale

equipment: 5* Neutraliser.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:28 pm

Amberale wrote:How about picking up an old washing machine from the next hard rubbish day.
Run a couple of rinsing cycles to clear detergent and then just use a spin cycle.

The major problem with that concept is getting all of SWMBO's pubic hair out of the pump :laughing-rolling: now that would put a good twist in the wash :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:11 pm

A man walked into a barber and said “ do you cut women’s hair?”

Lol damm that joke is older than me :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:15 pm

So Wellsy how do you suppose to get the goodness out of the BIAB and don't me you will get SWMBO to do it :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:56 pm

Ok Brain Fart :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease:

If we want a easy solution a simple leverage system will work a treat, just raise the bag squeeze the rod to connect then walk around with the lever to squeeze the bag. Lower the bag rinse and repeat until all the grain is liquid free.

A easy to build with little skills needed to build so how about this concept for a BIAB bag squeezer which can be used in the confines of the existing fermenter realizing the main ferment must be drained first so the bag doesn't get wet again.

Now can it get easier than that..... :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby bluc » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:59 pm

Ezi tasting had an idea like that with an olive press. Like my mop bucket but with more strength
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:07 pm

bluc wrote:Ezi tasting had an idea like that with an olive press. Like my mop bucket but with more strength

got a link to the thread mate as if it has been done before no use trying to invent the wheel :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Tesla101 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:49 pm

I read in book a method to make your own mash press.

You'll need a 54L plastic tub (like this), a plastic bread crate (like this) and a thick piece of plywood large enough to cover your mash bag.

Place the bread crate on top of the tub. Put your mash bag on top of the bread crate and then the plywood on top of the mash bag. Stand on the plywood and your weight will press the liquid from the wort. Rocking back and forth will squeeze out every drop.

Works very well if you also want sparge the mash afterwards.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:53 pm

Tesla101 wrote:I read in book a method to make your own mash press.

You'll need a 54L plastic tub (like this), a plastic bread crate (like this) and a thick piece of plywood large enough to cover your mash bag.

Place the bread crate on top of the tub. Put your mash bag on top of the bread crate and then the plywood on top of the mash bag. Stand on the plywood and your weight will press the liquid from the wort. Rocking back and forth will squeeze out every drop.

Works very well if you also want sparge the mash afterwards.

What a great idea and that is what this thread is all about, finding the easiest way to drain a BIAB

Well done mate this is the best idea so far. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RC Al » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:21 am

Same as above except you build it to take the weight of your car...
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby hgwells » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:29 am

RC Al wrote:Same as above except you build it to take the weight of your car...

:))
hgwells
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Return to The Dunder Pit