This is SOOOO Stupid

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

This is SOOOO Stupid

Postby FatManDancing » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:57 pm

I set myself up to do a spirit run tonight. I was gonna do the rum low wines I have had stashed. As I started to assemble the still I had to go on a search for the last bit, a 4 inch clamp

Where the hell is that clamp? I used it last week and was playing with it only a few days ago. I normally put everything in a box so this sort of shit does not happen but for fuck sake I did not this time

The boiler is heating up. I have no idea where that clamp is. The only thing I can think of is one of the cats ate it because it no longer exists in this house

Drain the boiler and put those low wines away again

Decided to run the neutral through the T500 and doing my best to convince myself that is what I wanted to do all along

Please tell me it is only me that this stupid kinda shit happens to but if you have a similar stupid moment and want to make me feel better I would love to hear it

This run is going real well though, apart from flooding the house with the condenser water I was using to clean some brew gear that I forgot about
FatManDancing
Site Donor

equipment: 35l mash tun, 35l mash tun/boiler, 50l FSD milk can boiler with one 2400w element, four inch, four plate cheapo glasser W four inch FSD reflux condenser, two inch FSD basic pot and T500

Re: This is SOOOO Stupid

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:16 pm

As I'm down on 3" triclamps twice now when I've setup my 4 plates with the blockhead the top of the blockhead which is 3" is the flange I take the clamp from. When I'm taking foreshots I've looked up and seen no clamp there but lucky for me the seal has kept good so vapour didn't leak out. But man what a mad rush to get that 3" clamp and get it on :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby The Stig » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:09 pm

I never run out of clamps :teasing-neener: :teasing-neener: :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby B-Man » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:44 am

I actually purchased more clamps than needed for this very reason. Cant lose it if you have spares :happy-partydance:
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:42 am

B-Man wrote:I actually purchased more clamps than needed for this very reason. Cant lose it if you have spares :happy-partydance:

Yea I had a spare or two but stupid me :angry-banghead: didn't lubricate the thread and 2 of the threads bound up :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

So I do need to get some more and I will with my next purchase from the shop :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:08 pm

So it begs the question Bryan what did you use up all the lube on ?
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:22 pm

Wellsy wrote:So it begs the question Bryan what did you use up all the lube on ?

I didn't I saved some for you when you come over :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby BigRig » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:26 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:
B-Man wrote:I actually purchased more clamps than needed for this very reason. Cant lose it if you have spares :happy-partydance:

Yea I had a spare or two but stupid me :angry-banghead: didn't lubricate the thread and 2 of the threads bound up :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

So I do need to get some more and I will with my next purchase from the shop :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Do you oil the tri-clamps ? Interesting as i had a triclamp which siezed after a week. Snapped the bolt trying to get it to move.

I will also need to get a replacement plus a couple spares.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Snapped the bolt trying to get it to move.

I will also need to get a replacement plus a couple spares

I just use some O-ring grease as I have a tub and it works :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby The Stig » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:40 pm

BigRig wrote:
RuddyCrazy wrote:

Do you oil the tri-clamps ? Interesting as i had a triclamp which siezed after a week. Snapped the bolt trying to get it to move.

I will also need to get a replacement plus a couple spares.

Should have shouted out
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:36 am

The binding up of stainless threads is called Galling. You can use any type of lubricant. Inox, WD40, cooking oil etc on the thread. I use a copper based anti sieze. Once you get galling, there is no coming back.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

equipment: Home made 50L keg boiler. PID controlled. Stainless Column dual valved reflux still.

Postby bluc » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:54 pm

Interesting never heard of it best I lube up :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Amberale » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:54 pm

LikkerSheWillLoveIt wrote:The binding up of stainless threads is called Galling. You can use any type of lubricant. Inox, WD40, cooking oil etc on the thread. I use a copper based anti sieze. Once you get galling, there is no coming back.

I use a zinc based never seize as that is what I have already.
Is there any advantage with the copper one?
I seem to remember some it works better with some metal combos.
Amberale

equipment: 5* Neutraliser.

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:11 am

I use the copper based one as that’s what the guy handed me at a bolt shop about 15 years ago and it worked so I never changed.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

equipment: Home made 50L keg boiler. PID controlled. Stainless Column dual valved reflux still.

Postby FatManDancing » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:09 pm

I have never used lube on a thread but that is good info and I have a can of inox here at home

Continuing on from the soooo stupid theme..

I just spent an hour with my neighbour who makes his own wine. I gave him a bag of dominoes, he gave me a bottle his shiraz that he added whiskey to, I always suspected there was a way that wine could taste good and now I know that too

I told him how much it cost me to wire up my element and he said " What do you think I do for a living? Next time you give it straight to me and I will do it for free"

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
FatManDancing
Site Donor

equipment: 35l mash tun, 35l mash tun/boiler, 50l FSD milk can boiler with one 2400w element, four inch, four plate cheapo glasser W four inch FSD reflux condenser, two inch FSD basic pot and T500

Postby Professor Green » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:25 pm

How tight are you people doing up your tri-clamps that they bind up?
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby BigRig » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:30 pm

Professor Green wrote:How tight are you people doing up your tri-clamps that they bind up?

Mine wasnt fitted to anything. It was loose and opened.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby RC Al » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:34 pm

Just for reference the softer edpm & silicon seals usually ask for 25-30 inch lbs and the ptfe ones 50 inch lbs.

Note that its inch pounds not foot pounds, pretty meaningless to you if youve never used a torque wrench, but in the grand scheme of the fastener world, its not very much force.

I use ptfe where I can, on my to do list is to add ss washers under the wing nuts of my clamps to make life easier for them.

If the galling is not too bad, a clean up with a stainless brush, possibly some folded sandpaper might make them serviceable again - depends how the nut is doing too.

In a pinch you could knock out the pin that holds the threadded bit in and replace it with a regular ss nut, washers & bolt.

Sounds like bigrig cross threadded it not galling though

Oh and use silicone spray for lubricant- it repels dust
Last edited by RC Al on Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:38 am

Galling can appear like cross threading (natures loctite) but, when was the last time anyone fully removed the wing nut off the thread on a tri clamp? I never have.

Galling can occur on a stainless thread, at anytime. Contrary to belief, stainless is actually quite soft, although, it work hardens extremely quickly if you don’t know how to work it correctly. I still have other trades ask me how to drill through stainless. As soon as it’s tool heated, it’s hardened.

So galling is pretty much a burr on the thread, doesn’t matter if it’s the make or female, if one gets a burr, which goes all the way back to the machining prices, it will eventually harden and now your stuck. The only way to fix it, replace to thread.

Prevention is better than cure, so grab the lube!!!
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

Postby scythe » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:05 pm

I'd like to add that galling can happen in an instant.
The only thing you can do is stop trying the turn it as soon as you feel it, then you need to use some WD40 on it to hopefully stop it getting worse.

It all comes down to the threads rubbing on each other without lube.
If your threads are too close in tolerance then lube can't get in there.
So the thread gets hot and expands making the issue worse, until you start tearing cunks out of the face of the thread.
It's the ferrule seal that causes the issue most of the time, as the pressure from the seal removes any clearance between the male and female threadforms and causes rubbing if there is no lube on it.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Next

Return to The Dunder Pit