This is SOOOO Stupid

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: This is SOOOO Stupid

Postby FatManDancing » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:55 pm

I think(thought) I was super careful with it and moved and stored it correctly. It is always the case though, whenever I move the column, it needs to be broken down and reassembled as something had moved or come out of alignment. A four plate column becomes rather redundant when two of those plates leak down the side because of whatever alchemy it takes to assemble these thing is something I do not possess

This is not universal though. We may have bought from different manufacturers and what you have will in all likely hood be very different from what I bought
FatManDancing
Site Donor

equipment: 35l mash tun, 35l mash tun/boiler, 50l FSD milk can boiler with one 2400w element, four inch, four plate cheapo glasser W four inch FSD reflux condenser, two inch FSD basic pot and T500

Postby RC Al » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:37 pm

Do you have access to an inch pound torque wrench? (small 1/4" drive jobby, not a 3/8 or 1/2" foot pound one) Will make the job easier getting the pressure on each rod the same.

Mine got modded by PO and he put 4x extra rods in. Two nuts at each end on the inside of the rods. My plates do leak a little internally, I will be stripping it to put some ptfe tape around the edges of the plates to stop that eventually, might be why I can only average 89% with it, dunno.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby FatManDancing » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:04 pm

Thanks RC, that is really good advice

Torque wrenches are not cheap though and the best I found in the size suggested was $105. Still kinda cheap cheap though if it helps make this thing work and it makes sense

PTFE tape though is cheap and another great idea. I have a rye and an FFV ready to run so will make sure I get both(ran out of tape on the weekend) and let you know how I go

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
FatManDancing
Site Donor

equipment: 35l mash tun, 35l mash tun/boiler, 50l FSD milk can boiler with one 2400w element, four inch, four plate cheapo glasser W four inch FSD reflux condenser, two inch FSD basic pot and T500

Postby Amberale » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:02 pm

RC Al wrote:Do you have access to an inch pound torque wrench? (small 1/4" drive jobby, not a 3/8 or 1/2" foot pound one) Will make the job easier getting the pressure on each rod the same.

Mine got modded by PO and he put 4x extra rods in. Two nuts at each end on the inside of the rods. My plates do leak a little internally, I will be stripping it to put some ptfe tape around the edges of the plates to stop that eventually, might be why I can only average 89% with it, dunno.

The Orthodontist who did my molar implant had a tiny little torque wrench about 50mm long.
It was beautiful and probably cost more than all the tools in my shed.
Last edited by Amberale on Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amberale

equipment: 5* Neutraliser.

Postby RC Al » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:07 pm

If you not building race engines a $40 one off amazon is just fine, your just after repeatable tightness
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby Amberale » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:42 pm

Hmmmm. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

7527775B-4B92-46C7-914E-A67B25A82EAF.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Amberale

Postby Amberale » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:45 pm

This one I could probably use a sledge on but I like playing with em.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Amberale

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:59 am

You could try your local mechanic for a loan for a bottle if you know him well enough.

Barter always works well :). You may get a few runs done before it needs to be stripped down and gone as out of whack. It will also be a good way to ensure it is what is needed before committing to a purchase
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Dude » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:30 am

Gunsmiths use torque screwdrivers for scopes etc that can be set low and are not expensive (ebay).
Dude

equipment: Turbo 500. 50L pot still with 2 x 2400W heaters, shotgun condenser, reflux condenser. Building a cooling system.

Postby Amberale » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:42 pm

Dude wrote:Gunsmiths use torque screwdrivers for scopes etc that can be set low and are not expensive (ebay).

I’ve got the most common one of those and I don’t rate it at all unfortunately.
It doesn’t have a scale telling you what torque it is set at and I don’t trust its plastic repeatability.
Mine is a fat yellow thing.
If you know of a better one I’m keen. :)
Amberale

Postby Dude » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:14 am

Amberale wrote:
Dude wrote:Gunsmiths use torque screwdrivers for scopes etc that can be set low and are not expensive (ebay).

I’ve got the most common one of those and I don’t rate it at all unfortunately.
It doesn’t have a scale telling you what torque it is set at and I don’t trust its plastic repeatability.
Mine is a fat yellow thing.
If you know of a better one I’m keen. :)

Mine is a Wheeler engineering (the fat wrench) has a scale that goes from 0 to 65 inch lb. Has been reliable for me however I do not know how accurate it is.
Dude

equipment: Turbo 500. 50L pot still with 2 x 2400W heaters, shotgun condenser, reflux condenser. Building a cooling system.

Postby FatManDancing » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:12 pm

I never did end up buying a torque wrench but did get some tape

With all the care and concentration I could muster, I wrapped the edge of each plate twice and assembled

As soon as the plates started to load, I noticed a leak on one plate. Shut down and reassemble

I have since done three runs and broken down the still twice and have not had a problem

Thanks RC. I really wanted this to work. I have limited space and need to pack everything away after each run and stash it when needed. A simple idea that worked but a torque wrench is still a good idea as these rods that hold everything together do need to be tightened properly and I will eventually get one

:happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:
FatManDancing
Site Donor

Postby RC Al » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:18 pm

Next time its together well, make yourself a measuring stick template thingy that goes between the end bits, but just longer than you need by a couple of mm. You will be able to apply even pressure by counting the turns if each nut starts from the same distance.
Last edited by RC Al on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby FatManDancing » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:57 pm

You know

I am truly grateful, and I do not mean it in a sarcastic way, that there are people for whom this hobby comes easily. They learn and teach from practical experience while gaining theoretical knowledge thus becomming fully rounded and knowledgable stillers

That aint me and I am hoping one of those types can tell me where the FUCK I went wrong this time

I did a spirit run on a FFV and all was going well until I noticed a puddle at the back of the boiler. Keep in mind I need to still inside. The leak was coming from my element port on my milk can boiler. Now this does not make sense to me. I have not loosened or tightened the clamps since installing the element and have had about a dozen flawless runs, so why tonight

I could do what I normally do and let the backset cool overnight before draining but I would have a massive puddle to clean in the morning. I choose to drain the boiling liquid and hook up my hose that runs outside

But it doesn't drain. I used to think a milk can boiler would benefit from so called boil enhancers and the few remaining inside, the ones that just seemed too hard to get out have finally made their way into the drain and blocked the hose

This boiler is getting drained tonight, dammit so I dis attach the hose and pick it up to take it outside. At this point it still has 30l of boiling hot backset. Of course I burn myself, not seriously but enough to be pissed off and as I start dragging my drain hose outside it gets caught on the fridge. In sheer frustration I give it a big heave and it comes loose but sprays my kitchen in hot backset creating the mess I so wanted to avoid

Sigh... I want a drink
FatManDancing
Site Donor

Postby The Stig » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:14 pm

Element seal , element come loose . The only 2 things that can really go wrong . Call me tomorrow
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RC Al » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:14 pm

Its all part of the fun of having a hobby right FMD?

So after playing with a torque wrench on mine - its really not the tool for the job.

The multiple layers of silicon has too much give and can move sideways a bit instead of compressing, making a pressure reading useless.

Measuring stick and alternating counted turns for the win atm.. :teasing-tease:
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:55 pm

Here is a thought once you have the 4 plate column all sealed up with no leakage just leave it together and make a wooden box/coffin for it so it has a hidden home and out of prying eyes. with my 4 plate tree it took ages to get it to fully seal and it aint been apart since, I did get a puke which stained the lower site glass and leaving the still in full reflux soon cleaned that glass after 3 runs :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RC Al » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:35 pm

100% Bryan

The disassembly is chasing leaks on the plates for me, currently only my middle plate of 3 is sealing decently, so im due for another go soon as I can be bothered

Rye seems to leave a sticky brown stain on my gear that a dozen runs wont move :roll:

Mines been modded with extra uprights, its pretty durable once assembled, had a look a 6" that had 6 uprights the other day, still need more imho.

The way 5 star are doing the new ones is much better, way more user friendly
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby FatManDancing » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:42 pm

Thanks Stig for offering to help. I thought it best to at least dis assemble the element, clean it up and I just did a 30l rum low wines spirit run without a leak that we are all good

I will now assume that the element needs periodical cleaning and maintenance too

RC is right, hobbies are fun....

I never did buy a torque wrench, your tip of wrapping each plate with PTFE tape worked well for me but like you I have done some rye runs and had the same issue of sticky residue. At first I thought it was smoke from a scorched run. The first time it happened I took all the bubblecaps of and scrubed them with a toothbrush, the second time I just stuffed them in the dishwasher and added citric acid to the wash cycle
FatManDancing
Site Donor

Postby punjabiz » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:31 pm

I havn't even used my first still yet, but after reading this thread got few extra seals and clamps... Thanks in advance :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
punjabiz

equipment: 2" modular SS reflux/potstill, DigiBoil 25L and FSD Power controller

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit